Home Sports Talk

Are fans taking it too far?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2021 9:30AM in Sports Talk

After the Appalachian State vs Marshall game last night, Appalachian State fans were allegedly yelling some pretty nasty things at Marshall players, and giving them the middle finger, are they taking it too far or is this just normal fan behavior players should just get used to?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 9:30AM

Pointless post for editing purposes, this never happened, move along!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 11:56AM

rabid fan behavior is one thing but that goes a little over the edge. I say they should have rounded up that group, taken them to the Marshall locker room and returned to remove them five minutes later. :p

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 1:38PM

You want to insult me, fine, you want to insult my dog, have at it, you want to insult my wife, I encourage it, but I'll be damned if you're going to insult my mama, and that's word up!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have always been idiots in the stands in every sport. Taking too far is European soccer. There were, ( not sure if still are) some pretty nasty fights in the stands. I remember the fans had to be placed in separate stands with chain link fences between them.
    The combination of testosterone, alcohol and frenzy is a formula for stupid behavior. Unfortunately a few make all look bad. I remember Bills games were a family affair. I’m not sure I’d take my 12 year old into an opponent’s stadium wearing Bills colors. Just don’t know any more.
    PS. I don’t have a 12 year old. 12 year old Scotch, 12 year old bunions and 12 year old underwear, yes, but no sons. 😢

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 3:39PM

I mean back in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s there were always fights, in all environments. I remember getting into bar fights all the time, it seems that things are “So crazy” now because of cellphone cameras, cameras in general, stricter laws, and harsher penalties. Honestly it’s the kindler gentler society now so fisticuffs out in the street are looked at with horrifying eyes. In short my answer is no

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I mean back in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s there were always fights, in all environments. I remember getting into bar fights all the time, it seems that things are “So crazy” now because of cellphone cameras, cameras in general, stricter laws, and harsher penalties. Honestly it’s the kindler gentler society now so fisticuffs out in the street are looked at with horrifying eyes. In short my answer is no

That goodness there were no camera phones when I was in my 20’s. Oh my!
    That stuff is out there forever!! Lol

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Pretty soon we're going to attend games with base stick men and shields