Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Karl Goetz: K-6 Bishop of Augsburg

cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2021 1:34PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Karl Goetz

ND (1905) Cast Bronze, Portrait Medal, 70.0mm, 188.41g., RRRR

Catholic Church commissioned piece commemorating Maximillian von Lingg as Bishop of Augsburg (1902-1930).

Obverse: Bust, left, v. LINGG.

Reverse: ST. UDAL/RICUS/CMLV, St. Ulrich, Bishop of Augsburg, on horseback to the left, receives the cross from an angel surrounded by clouds, after the Battle of Lechfeld in 955. In exergue, two coats of arms.

This medal was cast for Goetz by the C. Poellath foundry in Schrobenhausen prior to Goetz setting up his own fully outfitted workshop. He was still getting settled into Munich after moving from Paris in 1904.

I was fortunate to obtain this piece especially in this 'as cast' condition.

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does K-6 mean?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    What does K-6 mean?

Catalog number. Kienast (last name of the catalog author).

• Options

The new four volume Goetz catalog I am working on with the help of several German cohorts, will initiate a new numbering system by year. Lots of new discoveries, lots of material removal from Kienast listings as they are not Goetz, and in general just lots of work. Probably a couple years away from publishing each set in German and English versions.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

After casting, were the edges of the medal machined smooth? That piece really has the look of a struck medal even though it is cast.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive and interesting medal. Thanks for posting.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    After casting, were the edges of the medal machined smooth? That piece really has the look of a struck medal even though it is cast.

No. The edges maintain the same cast surface matrix as the remainder of the medal when viewed under 10X magnification.

This piece, and other 1900-1914 Goetz material, is perfection and why my focus has been adding pristine early examples like this to my collection.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@cacheman said:

This piece, and other 1900-1914 Goetz material, is perfection and why my focus has been adding pristine early examples like this to my collection.

I agree, both with describing it as perfection and with the shift of focus. Well done Scott!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3