Home Sports Talk
Options

Epic Sporting events. Where were you?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2021 9:12AM in Sports Talk

If any of you can remember an epic Sporting event and where you were when it happened let’s hear it.

One that sticks out for me is November 23 1984. “The Flutie Hail Mary Miracle in Miami” I was 14 and at my buddy Peter Johnson’s house on Riverview Drive. We were in his living room and his older sister had a bunch of guys over watching it, we came in literally right before the big play happened. I remember everyone freaking out like it was a Super Bowl win for the Patriots! Epic memory

https://youtu.be/q3ykWbu2Gl0

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl XXIII, Joe Montana, the drive. I was 11 years old at the time, and I was at home watching with my dad, and we were thinking the Bengals were going to win the Super Bowl, I still remember the announcer on TV saying "The 49ers have a long way to go" and Joe Montana methodically led them all the way down the field and scored, that was the moment that I really became fascinated by football, at that young age it was magical the way Montana led them down the field to score and win it all. I remember my dad spilled his beer all over the carpet after the 49ers scored and my mom got all upset and I thought it was hilarious.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I havent been to any really famous games in person, but I was at the game back in 1993 at fenway the day Canseco came in to pitch in a blowout. many had left early because of the score, so when I saw Jose start warming in the pen out in Right field, my brother and I went down and watched his entire warm up while leaning over the railing. it was amazing. I couldnt believe how hard Canseco could throw. Not Clemens hard, but he must have had low 90s heat.

of course he came in for an inning and promptly blew out his ucl and needed tommy john. but, I was there and saw it in person.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

as far as watching on TV, it wasnt all that long ago, but as long as i live I will always remember waking my wife back up after she went to sleep when the score was 28-3 and we watched that otherworldly comeback. just the two of us.

kids were in bed and she really got into it as the comeback was happening. I think she partially stayed up with me to make sure i didnt have a stroke during that 4th quarter.

• Options

Most of my Super Bowl stories all end the same way, over consumption of beer and burnt chili.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 11:40AM

I was at my house at the time during the Malcolm Butler Super Bowl Interception game against Seattle. My girlfriend’s son in law hated Football so to be a pain he was rooting for Seattle. Seattle gets that miracle catch and Ofcourse is driving for the winning score, I got so annoyed I went upstairs and went to bed. Drunk, annoyed, and tearing up lol. I just didn’t want to see it. Well I hear insane screaming downstairs and my cellphone starts blowing up and you know the rest. But yes I missed the interception in live time

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 11:45AM

@perkdog said:
    I was at my house at the time during the Malcolm Butler Super Bowl Interception game against Seattle. My girlfriend’s son in law hated Football so to be a pain he was rooting for Seattle. Seattle gets that miracle catch and Ofcourse is driving for the winning score, I got so annoyed I went upstairs and went to bed. Drunk, annoyed, and tearing up lol. I just didn’t want to see it. Well I hear insane screaming downstairs and my cellphone starts blowing up and you know the rest. But yes I missed the interception in live time

Don't feel bad, I missed the entire Patriots comeback against the Falcons, when it was 28-3 I thought it was over so I turned it off and went to bed. The next morning, bam, Patriots are the Super Bowl champions, I couldn't believe it!

• Options

I also missed the entire Bills comeback against the Oilers, I remember turning the game off and watching a movie because I thought there was no way the Bills would be able to comeback and win, so I missed two epic comebacks.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Don't feel bad, I missed the entire Patriots comeback against the Falcons, when it was 28-3 I thought it was over so I turned it off and went to bed. The next morning, bam, Patriots are the Super Bowl champions, I couldn't believe it!

Funny story, I was at my best friends house who lived about an hour and a half away and we cooked a bunch of food and had som drinks watching the game, I was planning on spending the night ect and I remember at 28-3 I came so close to to just driving home in disgust. So glad I didn’t!!! After the miraculous comeback we drove down to Dicks and grabbed some swag!! Awesome night and epic game!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Funny story, I was at my best friends house who lived about an hour and a half away and we cooked a bunch of food and had som drinks watching the game, I was planning on spending the night ect and I remember at 28-3 I came so close to to just driving home in disgust. So glad I didn’t!!! After the miraculous comeback we drove down to Dicks and grabbed some swag!! Awesome night and epic game!!!

now that is an awesome memory!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Awesome story, it doesn't get any better than that!

• Options

that 28-3 night was just crazy. it was both one of my worst sports viewing experiences and the 1 hour later my greatest sports experience.

you can say I was in a really bad mood through most of the 2nd quarter, halftime and the bulk of the 3rd quarter.

I mean a really bad mood.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    that 28-3 night was just crazy. it was both one of my worst sports viewing experiences and the 1 hour later my greatest sports experience.

you can say I was in a really bad mood through most of the 2nd quarter, halftime and the bulk of the 3rd quarter.

I mean a really bad mood.

Totally agreed!!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I also missed the interception in real time. But that taught me a valuable lesson, and is probably what gave me enough hope to never turn off the tv during 28-3. I was watching the Butler game with my wife and oldest son. After the Seahawks converted on that long pass to get them down the field, I got pretty upset. I went into the bedroom, which was next to the living room, when the Seahawks were on the goal line. I left the bedroom door open, and leaned my head against the wall, eyes closed. I was ready to just explode. But I could hear the game. I was waiting for it to be over, I didn't want to tell them to stop watching. I planned on running back in to turn off the tv after the Seahawks scored. As I waited, I heard my son ask "was that an interception?". After that, I vowed to never stop watching a Pats playoff game again, no matter the score. So when 28-3 happened, I remembered that. I told my son at halftime that some day he can tell his buddies that I predicted the comeback. I know it was wishful thinking, and I was trying to will it to happen. But it did! And we all remember that feeling.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    If any of you can remember an epic Sporting event and where you were when it happened let’s hear it.

One that sticks out for me is November 23 1984. “The Flutie Hail Mary Miracle in Miami” I was 14 and at my buddy Peter Johnson’s house on Riverview Drive. We were in his living room and his older sister had a bunch of guys over watching it, we came in literally right before the big play happened. I remember everyone freaking out like it was a Super Bowl win for the Patriots! Epic memory

I have told this before but anyway......

The Flutie Hail Mary is my earliest great sports memory I believe. I was 8, almost 9. Watching at my house. Alone, I believe. My grandparents lived next door. Our houses were maybe fifteen feet apart at the most. When it happened, I remember being so happy. I immediately heard a bunch of screaming from my grandparents house. I think maybe some uncles were there watching it too. I remember our phone rang, I think it was my cousin, asking "Did you see that? Did you see that?". I was a huge Flutie fan already, but like a lot of people (especially in Massachusetts) became an even bigger one after that. I know that many of you understand how good he was, and how amazing his career was all things considered. But a lot of people, especially if they are too young, don't, and the highlights are always fun to watch.
    Flutie's dropkick is an epic moment. I don't remember where i was. But very cool nonetheless. For anyone who doesn't know, it was the first time since I think 1941 that it had been done in an NFL game. Last game of the season before the playoffs. Flutie's last time on a field before his retirement. It seems that Belichick gifted him this opportunity as a way to put a cherry on his career. They had talked about him trying it earlier in the season, but it didn't happen. Belichick only told him right before the actual play, so Flutie said he didn't have time to get nervous. Even though it was something he did in practice often with relative ease, he knew it was a big moment and has said it could have gone either way. Flutie's career was in ways so unique, and he had such a passion for the game. When you tie that in with Belichick's passion for the history of the game, it makes sense why they did this, in my opinion.
    https://youtu.be/hMdiO0Xm-aE

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching UGA lose the natty vs Bama in double OT in the Benz...just, sigh.

• Options

that drop kick was an amazing thing to witness. I certainly was not around for the previous one and it is doubtful I will be around to see the next one.

• Options

@craig44 What does that mean you're locked up like that? Is it that you can comment but not start new discussions?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @craig44 What does that mean you're locked up like that? Is it that you can comment but not start new discussions?

I was naughty the other night when debating with another poster. We were bickering back and forth pretty good and I got Locked up. I'm in the pokey till October 7. I can comment on a more limited basis and cannot start new discussions.

It is a bummer, because I am almost sure that Tom is only 97 yards away from having the most rushing yards after age 40. I am almost 100% sure on that one. Flutie retired with 207 I believe.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I was naughty the other night when debating with another poster. We were bickering back and forth pretty good and I got Locked up. I'm in the pokey till October 7. I can comment on a more limited basis and cannot start new discussions.

It is a bummer, because I am almost sure that Tom is only 97 yards away from having the most rushing yards after age 40. I am almost 100% sure on that one. Flutie retired with 207 I believe.

I just looked up Flutie's numbers but was getting different stats, all right around 207 so I assume you are right. Brady I think averages about one yard per run, and less than two runs per game maybe.

• Options

I may be off by a few, but i think Brady has around 109-110 after age 40. If he does play until 50 he may just break that record!!

remember, last game he did rip a long one off. 6 yards!

• Options

@craig44 Glad you just got your rear end warmed and not red boxed 🍻

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

My apologies Craig. You made some valid points that I didn't expound upon and instead I gave you crap for some older points, and it turned into a Jerry Springer show. I've been busy and hadn't posted in a while and I was looking for some mind numbing sports talk fun. I guess the mind numbing part is the only thing that happened.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

My apologies Craig. You made some valid points that I didn't expound upon and instead I gave you crap for some older points, and it turned into a Jerry Springer show. I've been busy and hadn't posted in a while and I was looking for some mind numbing sports talk fun. I guess the mind numbing part is the only thing that happened.

Apologies all around. for some reason the other night, I had a hair across my tail end and you took the brunt of it. I usually don't get too far out of line, but when I do, I do a bang-up job! glad I only got a time out.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 9:13AM

October 12, 1986. Fifth game ALCS. Angels vs. Red Sox.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe not epic to most people, but epic to me.
    This Gordon home run didn't win the 2015 world series, it didn't even win the game.
    It tied the game in the bottom of the ninth in game one and the Royals went on to win in extra innings.
    But I think it was a huge blow mentally to the Mets. They were ahead 4-3 going into the bottom of the ninth.
    They had their superstar closer on the mound, who you weren't supposed to be able to touch.
    Gordon rocked him with a titanic blast to centerfield and the Royals and their fans went crazy.
    It showed the Mets they weren't dealing with any ordinary run of the mill team. This is how the Royals had
    played baseball all year long, by never giving up and always fighting to the last out.
    The most famous picture of Gordon striding like a colossus around first base is from the other angle,
    showing the Royals dugout with Hosmer and crew going wild. But I love this image also with the Royals sign above Gordon.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in the stadium, witness to the final at bat of Mike Trout's illustrious postseason career.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 6:34AM

I got to see Trout play in a few regular season games, but it must have been great to witness that moment
    when his epic post season career ended for good and he was still a very young man.
    As far as watching him play in person, I was far more impressed watching Griffey Jr. play when the Mariners came to KC.

• Options

My favorite one is epic of the notorious variety. Comiskey Park the 1> @craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Apologies all around. for some reason the other night, I had a hair across my tail end and you took the brunt of it. I usually don't get too far out of line, but when I do, I do a bang-up job! glad I only got a time out.

Its been kind of forgotten, but when they came up, Trout and Harper were sort of 'pitted' against each other as to who will be the next King of baseball. Trout took off and didn't stop and Harper had some injuries with a couple big years scattered in, and now the script seems to be switching for the second half of their careers with health being an issue for Trout now....and Harper may end up with more career home runs in the end. But the story has a lot to play out still.

• Options

Perk, I love the Flutie pass. He had a cannon. Whenever I watch a move like "Johnny Be Good" that has a five foot nine actor playing a QB that is an elite prospect, I always chuckle....and then I always go back to Doug Flutie.

• Options

Perk, I love the Flutie pass. He had a cannon. Whenever I watch a move like "Johnny Be Good" that has a five foot nine actor playing a QB that is an elite prospect, I always chuckle....and then I always go back to Doug Flutie.

Haha it was legendary and I remember it like yesterday, I was 14 at the time

• Options

@Hydrant said:

I couldn't remember the specifics, looked it up. Red Sox scored 4 in the top of the 9th to take the lead. Angels scored 1 bottom of 9th to tie. Red Sox won in 11 innings.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I just looked up Flutie's numbers but was getting different stats, all right around 207 so I assume you are right. Brady I think averages about one yard per run, and less than two runs per game maybe.

can you believe Brady was the leading rusher for Tampa today? 14 whole yards. only 83 to go!!

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 5:42PM

Canes 1st National Championship as a 2 touchdown underdog to Nebraska.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:
    Canes 1st National Championship as a 2 touchdown underdog to Nebraska.

And a Kenny Calhoun auto to put icing on that cake! Awesome!

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

can you believe Brady was the leading rusher for Tampa today? 14 whole yards. only 83 to go!!

That will hurt the Bucs this year, the lack of a running game.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

Dave Henderson HR?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

That will hurt the Bucs this year, the lack of a running game.

They don't look like they are able to establish the run yet. We all know it's a passing league but still.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 3:53AM

• Options

@emeraldATV said:

So you went rock hunting this weekend and your looking forward to Monday night football!! Nice 😂😂😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

Dave Henderson HR?

yes, then during the offseason the incident with the relief pitcher who gave up the HR. very sad