Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Raw pre war vintage cards not graded. Can we assume they have been altered?

I guess I would like everyone's opinion on this. This is more for online auctions like eBAY and not sports cards shows, but it could also apply.

I collect both vintage and modern cards, but vintage is my passion.
It seems like a very large percentage of raw pre war vintage sports cards being sold on eBAY or other auctions which have not been graded by company have been altered in some way. I am not referring to a card in poor, good or very good condition. This is more for cards that look exmt or near mint.

You see a beautiful card like a T206 or Cracker Jack and it looks near mint or at least graded an excellent by grading standards. But you wonder, why haven't it already been graded? Grading it would increase the value and could help the pop report, making it more rare.

I've been burned a few times with buying pre war cards. I have bought a 1940 Play Ball Honus Wagner raw which looked beautiful on eBAY. Sent it into PSA, only to find out it has been trimmed, which then got it sent back to me and I am out $150 bucks.

I get hesitant when I see these raw cards online being sold online, because I always question why hasn't been graded.

I'll admit I am not the best at knowing if a card is trimmed or altered, especially online and not in person. I guess the saying applies "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" . But it makes me wonder, are there still near mint raw cards out there that haven't been graded? It cant be a large percentage?

Would like to hear anyone's take on this. Would also love to hear some stories about the matter.

Comments

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I would not feel good about buying any ungraded pre war HOFer are any that looked like a nm to mt. Anyone that has these can them graded as simply authenic rather than a numerical grade. (If that is requested.)

• Options

right agreed. Which brings up my question, are there still near mint raw vintage cards out there anymore?

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely maybe.

Andy

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Every few years "they" discover a new planet in the sky that had never been seen before and the it gets press . Every few years a new new bone is found and poof , it is from an unknown dinosaur. More press. And every few years someone finds some super-duper mint t-20 somethings in their great-grandfathers attic or cellar that are worth millions. Hence, more press.
    So , yes there is more out there. They're being printed as I write, I'm sure.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems harsh to think that given that some survive without the owners recognizing these cards are collected or the importance of condition, condition rarity and how that effects value.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Well I do think that there are lots more collections of ungraded, older vintage cards than any of us probably realize. For several reasons. Some older collectors have no use for PSA and other grading companies. Some don't have the money to spend to get all of those graded, because at current prices for those cards it would cost a fortune to slab them (and for these guys, that would only happen if they wanted to sell.) Some of them just love being able to handle their cards, and to see them raw. Some just frankly don't care about how people today collect; they collected 50+ years ago, and they are quite content to just enjoy what they have. Over the next 20-30 years I suspect most if not all of those collections will eventually surface as the older collectors pass on and their heirs try to maximize the value of their inheritance. But for the next couple of decades, I will continue to believe that there are a substantial number of vintage collections that exist completely off of the radar of the industry.
    kevin

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a part of some Facebook groups that trade cards and the vast majority of the cards traded are raw. I am not talking about vintage cards, but it is crazy what is being spent on these raw insert cards of the 90’s.. I always just wonder. What would that actually grade….

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 7:24PM

It’s a gamble now with the 3 day return window. You need to know your stuff buying vintage raw.

I did speak with eBay and told them the 3 day return window should be for graded cards not Raw cuz of all the trimming and fakes… they agreed and will roll out a new raw policy soon… not just because I called but others as well. same with unopened packs!

If unsure I would recommend using a credit card or PayPal, they still have a 180 return window I believe.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can mainly tell buy who the seller is.