Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Grading

Good morning, I am new in collecting graded cards and getting cards graded for my PC. I had sent a card to get the card and auto graded, which came back 9 on the card and 10 for the auto. Would this be comparable to the same card that only had the card grade and no grade on the auto, or is the auto grade irrelevant?

Comments

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

In my observation it's pretty subjective. The auto grade can matter to some folks, especially for lower grade autos. Where I've seen it matter is in the registry sets. I believe the PSA/DNA registry sets go by auto grade for ranking, at least they do with mine. I've only got a few autos that have graded below an 8 and they were pretty jacked up (mostly from a glossy card where the sharpie auto doesn't "stick" to it and has breaks in the autos ) so I'm not sure how much credence really goes into it from a collector standpoint. My 2 cents anyway.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a modern card or vintage? If you got those grades on a vintage card then congratulations. I collect vintage auto graded cards. I personally don't care what the card or auto grades are, only that the card is presentable and the auto is neat and legible.

• Options

@pab1969 said:
    Is it a modern card or vintage? If you got those grades on a vintage card then congratulations. I collect vintage auto graded cards. I personally don't care what the card or auto grades are, only that the card is presentable and the auto is neat and legible.

It is a modern card - 2021 Zach Wilson

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

For me personally, I don't care about getting the auto graded. Getting it authenticated is what matters to me. It does matter to some people though.

• Options

I think it's all personal preference. Some people are chasing the 10 autographs, others want a high end card grade and could care less about the autograph grade. Some of that may have to do with registry sets, if you are collecting a PSA/DNA registry set I think the autograph grade matters more to you than if you are collecting a PSA registry set where the card grade would matter more to you. Personally, I prefer a high end card grade with a solid autograph. It's easy enough for me to look at an autograph and see if it has any steaks, skips, fading, etc. I think the autograph grade is kind of a gimmick.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soonerific said:
    I think it's all personal preference. Some people are chasing the 10 autographs, others want a high end card grade and could care less about the autograph grade. Some of that may have to do with registry sets, if you are collecting a PSA/DNA registry set I think the autograph grade matters more to you than if you are collecting a PSA registry set where the card grade would matter more to you. Personally, I prefer a high end card grade with a solid autograph. It's easy enough for me to look at an autograph and see if it has any steaks, skips, fading, etc. I think the autograph grade is kind of a gimmick.

This nails EXACTLY how I feel!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i personally only card about the card grade and a clean auto, ie not smudged and proper placement,

but a phrase that i heard several years back that always stuck w me “a 10 on a flip always looks good”.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    but a phrase that i heard several years back that always stuck w me_ “a 10 on a flip always looks good”_.

I agree
    The only Auto Card I have submitted myself (pulled it from a pack myself back 1995)

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I've learned not to submit any modern-ish card ('80s or newer) for Auto Grade unless you're sure it'll get a 10. I sent in a Musial RC signed in pen (not Sharpie) that I knew would be an 8 or 9, so cards like that would be the exception.

At least it's easier to self-judge a PSA 10 auto grade than it is a PSA 10 card grade.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.