Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

WTB 1963 Topps Baseball Cards

I am thinking of upgrading my almost complete set of 1963 Topps that I started as a kid.
All my cards are raw,but am interested in starting a PSA registry set to keep me busy:)
Any hints or ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Shapiro LSRC

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
POB 854
Temecula CA 92593
310-541-7222 office
310-710-2869 cell
www.LSRarecoins.com
Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
Baltimore July 14-17
Chicago August 11-15
Tagged:

Comments

• Do you have a wantlist for cards needed or cards you are looking to upgrade?

Are you specifically looking for graded items or will you fill holes and upgrades with raw cards?

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

Larry nice set to start as there are some great cards. Are you looking to have your raw cards graded or keep that partial set raw and work on a graded set separately? As you may know the backlog and costs at PSA right now are prohibitive to sending off commons and some higher dollar cards depending upon the condition. What I did when I started a PSA set was the following:
    1) What grade do I want to collect. If you are trying to do a high grade set in PSA 8 you are probably looking at $75,000 or somewhere in that ballpark. The Rose Rookie, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Clemente etc will eat up close to $20,000 of that on their own easily.
    2) Just like coins all graded cards are not considered equal and "high end" PSA 8's will run you more than ones that are "lower end"
    3) I would shoot to do the Master Set which is 7 additional cards taking you from 576 to 583.
    4) Many of the auction houses whether it is REA, Mile High, Heritage etc will at times have a number of graded cards from one year so you can knock a bunch off at the same time as opposed to buying them one at a time
    5) An old saying in the coin world when building a set is to "start with the keys", the same will go for this as if a solid for the grade Mantle becomes available it would be good to jump on it.
    6) When building a PSA graded set I was shocked at what some of the low population common player cards can cost. Often times a low pop common card of a relatively unknown player can run $100's of dollars due to their rarity.

Those are my quick thoughts and I'm sure others better versed than me can chime in as there is a lot of knowledge here.

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for your comments. This set is special to me,as I started collecting cards when I was 9 or 10..1963 Topps is what we collected..maybe 10 guys in my neighborhood traded with each other.. We rode our bikes all over town to buy more cards...We worked hard as kids to buy these cards..mowed lawns,washed cars,and even collected soda bottles,as we got 3 cents each when we turned them in. These packs were 5 cents each. I bet I had 20 complete sets of these,and thousands of dupes....and yes..my mom threw them all out when I mover away ay 18. I have about 500 of the cards now that are raw,and am learning the names and faces again. I will finish and keep the raw set,and maybe start a registry PSA 7 set ? Maybe someone will sell me a starter set at a good price,and that will get me going... My new employee buys and sells modern cards..he is into boxes and high end cards...By next year,we will be selling coins,cards,currency,and even old cars...want to do it all :) Thanks again,
    Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15