Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Need 1923 dated coins, PCGS graded

My father passed away last year at 96-2/3 years. He was born in 1923 and I want to put together a set of US coins that were available when he was born to honor him. I currently have a 1923 Peace dollar. Only interested in PCGS graded coins. Looking for MS if I can afford them.

PM me….thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a wonderful project and tribute to him!

I will warn you though that the half dollar will be challenging, even in lightly circulated condition.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Sounds like a wonderful project and tribute to him!

I will warn you though that the half dollar will be challenging, even in lightly circulated condition.

That’s an expensive coin

And I see there’s a commem too

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t need every coin, like all variations, I need one of each type. So I need a penny, nickel, etc. One of each type. Does that make sense?

• Options
    edited September 21, 2021 6:14AM

The only circulating half dollar issued in 1923 was the walking liberty from San Francisco.
    MS coins start around $3k. An AU 50 runs about $1500, if you can find one.
    All the other denominations, sans the gold issues, are relatively inexpensive and obtainable, as high mintage P mint coins were produced. Not so for the half dollar. Even a nice XF in a holder is challenging. Plan accordingly.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

I don’t need EVERY coin minted, I just one from every family of coins. There might be might multiple mints for the 1923 50c piece, I just need one of the mints coins. Make sense?

• Options

What I understand is that you aren’t comprehending what I’m writing, and that you haven’t done sufficient research on your project.
    I’d strongly recommend that you take a step back, study CoinFacts, Redbook, etc and think carefully about your budget and what you can realistically afford, and how well matched you want the set to look. Then start shopping for the coins.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a worthy endeavor and a great thought.
    What @Walkerguy21D is trying to tell you is that half dollars in 1923 were only minted in San Fransisco, there is no Philly or Denver option. That will be the tough coin in the set you are trying to make. I would plan on at least $400 for that coin, probably closer to $1k if you want a nicer one.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple of reasonably priced 1923 Dollars at Northeast Numismatics. I shop their site everyday to see their new listings. These were just listed today. Good people to buy from.

https://northeastcoin.com/popupcontainer.jsp?include=vi&itemKey=zi14_1000256704

https://northeastcoin.com/popupcontainer.jsp?include=vi&itemKey=zi14_1000256705

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this if you are interested. PCGS MS64FB. $140.00 delivered to you.

Thanks.
    Ken

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    My father passed away last year at 96-2/3 years. He was born in 1923 and I want to put together a set of US coins that were available when he was born to honor him. I currently have a 1923 Peace dollar. Only interested in PCGS graded coins. Looking for MS if I can afford them.

Sorry about your father's passing, I hope he was healthy to the end. The year type set is nice tribute to put together. My mother is also a 1923 baby. She gave up her license just over a year ago on her 97th birthday. She''ll go out of her way to tell you she drove on the last day her license was valid!

Good luck on the hunt.

Mark

• Options
    edited September 21, 2021 8:52PM

@mark_dak said:

@Herb_T said:

Sorry about your father's passing, I hope he was healthy to the end. The year type set is nice tribute to put together. My mother is also a 1923 baby. She gave up her license just over a year ago on her 97th birthday. She''ll go out of her way to tell you she drove on the last day her license was valid!

Good luck on the hunt.

Mark

Cherish her while you still have her. I used to talk to my dad weekly and go see him (he lived 400 miles away) once a month. It is still hard for me to understand that he isn’t here anymore. He was always here….and now he isn’t.

• Options

@MWallace said:
    Here's a couple of reasonably priced 1923 Dollars at Northeast Numismatics. I shop their site everyday to see their new listings. These were just listed today. Good people to buy from.

https://northeastcoin.com/popupcontainer.jsp?include=vi&itemKey=zi14_1000256704

https://northeastcoin.com/popupcontainer.jsp?include=vi&itemKey=zi14_1000256705

Thank you for the links. I have already sent them an email for another coin I found on their site. I have a nice ‘23 Peace coming.

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    I have this if you are interested. PCGS MS64FB. $140.00 delivered to you.

Thanks.
    Ken

Ken, thank you for the offer, I am looking for a nicer dime.

• Options

I have a Peace dollar, Lincoln cent, Mercury dime, standing Liberty quarter,…and currently bidding on a Double eagle.