Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryder Cup

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

does anyone care about this? anyone? anyone? Bueller? anyone?

if not, all good. i have no probs talking to myself, i do it quite often.

bottom line: the U.S. team is always superior on paper. but 7 out of the last 9 cups the Europeans have shown us what a cohesive unit can do to the best team on paper. it is time for our guys to step the f up and flex.

looking forward to the action come Friday

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go USA!

• Options

@Justacommeman

i know you've been to the Ryder, so give it up big boy

who you got?

are we gonna get punked again?

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

USA players fixes the blame, Europe fixes the problem.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

bottom line: the U.S. team is always superior on paper. but 7 out of the last 9 cups the Europeans have shown us what a cohesive unit can do to the best team on paper. it is time for our guys to step the f up and flex.

It will be on regular TV Saturday. Friday I would have to stream it, if possible, because I do not have any channels that aren't antennae friendly. So I think I'm definitely in for Saturday.

@galaxy27 Since you were kind enough to open this thread, let me pick your brain a bit. I can enjoy watching golf, but I don't watch it on the regular. And I know that the Ryder Cup is a different format. I honestly don't feel like I know enough about the specifics to get the most out of it. Obviously I could research this a bit further on my own, but I don't want you to be talking to just yourself in this thread. So any and all nuggets are appreciated. Thank you in advance. And as @doubledragon said , GO USA!

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

On paper, the US dominates Europe this year more than they ever have; it will truly be an embarrassment for the US if they lose.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @Justacommeman

i know you've been to the Ryder, so give it up big boy

who you got?

are we gonna get punked again?

Yes. Thrice. Brookline. Oakland Hills, Valderrama.

Team Europe always seems to putt better and have better chemistry. If the US isn't within a point after day 1 I fear for them.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

It will be on regular TV Saturday. Friday I would have to stream it, if possible, because I do not have any channels that aren't antennae friendly. So I think I'm definitely in for Saturday.

@galaxy27 Since you were kind enough to open this thread, let me pick your brain a bit. I can enjoy watching golf, but I don't watch it on the regular. And I know that the Ryder Cup is a different format. I honestly don't feel like I know enough about the specifics to get the most out of it. Obviously I could research this a bit further on my own, but I don't want you to be talking to just yourself in this thread. So any and all nuggets are appreciated. Thank you in advance. And as @doubledragon said , GO USA!

Friday and Saturday they play morning and afternoon sessions of 2 man team. There are four pairings each session, so only 8 of the 12 men on each team play. One session will be Four Ball (both players from each play own ball and team takes lowest score. The other session will be Foursomes (alternate shot format).

The biggest obstacle for the USA captain has been to find team pairings for these events. The European captains of past usually paired countrymen together. The Spanish pairings seemed to work very well for them. The Irish pairings have also been very formidable. Then there is Ian Poulter who just played out of mind in this format.

Sunday all 12 players go out and play as singles and play mano o mano. Here the captains have to decide if they want to put out the best / hottest players first or hold until the final pairings.

This event started out as USA versus GB&I (Great Britain and Ireland). USA just dominated most of these. It was 1979 that all the European countries (Seve Ballesteros effect) were added to the Cup. 1985 is when Europe started to dominate.

The most famous Cup probably was the 1991 held at Kiawah Island. Due to the fierce competition, gamesmanship and general over-exuberance of the U.S. Team and their fans, these Ryder Cup Matches became known as the "War on the Shore."

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@thisistheshow

@Alfonz24 drilled it. couldn't have said it better myself.

if this was a 72-hole stroke-play event, we'd win every time. we always assemble the best talent. but the Ryder Cup is a mixed format that pairs team members together the first couple of days, thereby making it a very different beast. the team element very much comes into play, and Europe always seems to overcome the raw talent deficit by assembling a tight-knit group that's able to produce a synergistic effect that we're unable to replicate.

for anyone reading this who is unfamiliar with the Ryder Cup, it's a very, very big deal. unlike any PGA tour event you'll see on television. the scene is raucous. i've never been to one in person, but @Justacommeman said he's been to three. maybe he'll swing back by here and give us a synopsis of his experiences. i for one would love to read it.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2021 11:47AM

@tombradyhater

Intensity from the opening pairings is the biggest difference. Every shot feels like the tournament could turn on it.

Both US sites the crowds were unruly and borderline hostile. At Brookline we followed Monte and Payne. Several times Montgomery asked Marshal's to kick us out of the venue. The Marshal's must have had earmuffs on. On US soil you can say more from the gallery. It's personal. It unnerves some like Monte and fires up others like Poulter ( he's the man). Several times on the greens I've/ others have been cited for intentional moving our "body shadows". I have been called an ugly American many times.

The Gamesmanship is unreal. Captains riding around in carts, deliberate slow playing, players getting under each other's skin etc etc.

The European players are seriously pulling for each other. I feel like the Americans are fake pulling for each other. I think when the US wins the sting of losing haunts Team Europe more. I think when the US loses the players get over it as they head to the next tourney and payday. If I was the US captain my team would be very very young as they have recent college format experience while lends itself to the Ryder format and team play

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    @tombradyhater

Intensity from the opening pairing is the biggest difference. Every shot feels like the tournament could turn on it.

Both US sites the crowds were unruly and borderline hostile. At Brookline we followed Monte and Payne. Several times Montgomery asked Marshal's to kick us out of the venue. The Marshal's must have had earmuffs on. On US soil you can say more from the gallery. It's personal. It unnerves some like Monte and fires up others like Poulter ( he's the man). Several times on the greens I've/ others have been cited for intentional moving our "body shadows". I have been called an ugly American many times.

The Gamesmanship is unreal. Captains riding around in carts, deliberate slow playing, players getting under each other's skin etc etc.

The European players are seriously pulling for each other. I feel like the Americans are fake pulling for each other. I think when the US wins the sting of losing haunts Team Europe more. I think when the US loses the players get over it as they head to the next tourney and payday. If I was the US captain my team would be very very young as they have recent college format experience while lends itself to the Ryder format and team play

m

outstanding. thank you sir. could not agree more with that last paragraph.

check out these controversial remarks from Koepka. tell me, does this sound like a team player?

• Options

I'll add at regular tournaments you really don't openly root against players out loud. There is civility. At the Ryder Cup it's more like a golf version of MMA

m

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    @tombradyhater

Intensity from the opening pairing is the biggest difference. Every shot feels like the tournament could turn on it.

m

outstanding. thank you sir. could not agree more with that last paragraph.

check out these controversial remarks from Koepka. tell me, does this sound like a team player?

Thank you @Justacommeman That's the good stuff right there!
    And no, he does not sound like a team player. What's the point of verbalizing thoughts like that? And on another note, I unfortunately assume that it is easier for a group of European players to conjure up feelings of rivalry with the US than it is for the US players to galvanize any inspiration that stems from patriotism.

• Options

There little doubt what value the European players put on being a member of the Ryder Cup winning side vs a winning a major in my mind. Equal or close to it. I can't say that about the American side. I think they are more product of the system and the Brooks comment above reinforces it. It's not as natural for the US side

m

• Options

Like I was saying

'It's embarrassing': Sergio Garcia's wife warns boozed-up US boo boys not to cross line with Ryder Cup taunts

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/embarrassing-sergio-garcias-wife-warns-143501119.html

• Options

my formal prediction is that we are going to wrestle the trophy away from Europe, and i've put a sizable chunk of my money where my big fat mouth is. in fact, i think there is a good chance that it won't even be close. i have my reasons.

• Options

i see you Team Europe trying to win over those Wisconsin fans

🧀

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    my formal prediction is that we are going to wrestle the trophy away from Europe, and i've put a sizable chunk of my money where my big fat mouth is. in fact, i think there is a good chance that it won't even be close. i have my reasons.

I hope you are right!

m

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

of course.

and save ferris!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched a lot of the Solheim Cup, that was painful enough so I think I'll skip the Ryder Cup.
    Although the US women did really seem to genuinely pull for each other so that was a nice aspect,
    they just didn't golf nearly good enough.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:

I am not qualified enough to officially concur with your prediction, but I did do some digging on this matter, and I'm hearing that we win by "3 or 4".

• Options

on the eve of the Cup, a great Cup story courtesy of Phil Mickelson. I've posted this before but it's too good not to share again

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/feherty-phil-mickelsons-great-ryder-cup-story

• Options

This course has literally no rough to speak of. Bombs away for the Americans

m

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

6-2 opening day and the Europeans were fortunate to get 1 of those points late Friday with 2 halved matches. Johnson and Tony Finau played lights out and the rookies went undefeated. Nice start.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2021 10:15AM

Wow. Just finished watching Day 1

1) can't underestimate the fact that Steve Stricker got to set the course. They couldn't have picked a better Cpt. Home State hero and a great guy. I have always rooted for him as a player

2) Whistling Str8's is amazing. The US owns the par 5's.

3) I'm so happy with the US throwing out all the young bucks. They all played lights out.

4) Speiths pitch at 17 was unworldly.

5) all four drives of the last grouping on 18 was a joy to watch

6) We have always got blitzed on second leg. To win it 2-0-2 was beyond huge.

7) JT's eagle on 16 made me come unhinged.

@galaxy27 let's go to 2025@ Bethpage. That's was my home course. I can tell you every bad shot I ever hit there and show you what pond my Ping black eye 5 iron resides. Probably should have chucked the putter as well. If your feeling frisky I'd meet you in Rome in 23.

m

• Options
    edited September 25, 2021 12:40PM

@Justacommeman I'm down brother.......bethpage would be epic. always been a bucket list course

I've been glued since 7 am

does it get any better than watching Jordan and Justin when they get amped up? if they win their match I may run thru a wall

• Options

easily in the top 5 best things I have ever seen in sports

I present to you........Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger slamming a beer on the first tee box

I've gotta get to a Ryder Cup

• Options

@galaxy27 just leave your manners at home

m

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Galaxy! Domination.
    I thought Bryson did a lot to improve his image, I thought he was a jerk, but I watched a lot of it
    yesterday and was really impressed with him. Love Morikawa. DJ went undefeated I believe.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.