Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1960 topps set build

For the last 15 years I have been trying to build the 1960 topps set but by doing it all through trade. So far I only spent $16.00 on the set and I have 493 out of 572 cards in the set. This includes the yak rookie, Aaron, Mays, Clemente, and McCovey rookie. I am thinking about keeping the big ones and trading the rest. I go back and forth thinking I should do it and then think I shouldn’t. I just don’t love looking through all of the commons. I might just like to trade for a bigger star card or two. I was curious if others did this and if they were happy later down the road

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 5:54PM

If you only have 16.00 in it dont stress whatever you do. Just put it in the closet for 5 years if your board at this moment.
    You obviously had a desire to make this set at one time.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at this from a different perspective...

First... congrats in connection with assembling what you have through trade and $16.00

The 1960 set offers so much... great stars and some stars that have been forgotten over time to the point that certain cards deemed to be common really deserve a second look. There are several names worthy of mention to amplify my point. Instead, I will limit my discussion to two at the expense of leaving several others on the sidelines for later:

Bill Bruton (Braves) and Smokey Burgess (Pirates)

At first glance, Bruton seems to be a decent player until one digs into the record book. And I did that after looking at his 1953 rookie card. He had 102 triples- topping other HOF players noted for their speed from the 1941-1960 time frame. Lead the NL in stolen bases from 1953-55. He was more than just a decent player.

Smokey Burgess was one of the great pinch hitters in MLB history... Manny Mota passed the career number of pinch hits and even his record was surpassed. Burgess played for a number of different teams- He was with Pittsburgh in 1960-

Both of these are great looking cards.

If you really enjoy baseball and it's history, looking through what some have reduced to as common cards should provide the greatest enjoyment. 1960 is terrific year based on the older players still in the game and the future captured by players such as Gibson, McCovey, Yaz, Howard, and Norm Cash.

At some point, one of two things will happen... either collecting cards will be about HOFers and Rookie cards or there will be a greater appreciation for the game, its history and players... great players... that are not in the HOF that deserve recognition. Collecting cards should really be about capturing the year... the players...and what made the year special. And if one subscribes to the latter, what is considered common really needs to be redefined based on merit. I suspect h e l l has a better chance of freezing over than the latter becoming the majority view.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@72skywalker said:
    ......This includes the yak rookie........

Well now, I am guessing you gnu that would get people yakkin’!!! Thanks for sharing!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@72skywalker said:
    ......This includes the yak rookie........

That is great. I noticed my typo after I posted it. In all fairness the Yaktrzemski os a lot rarer than the Yastrzemski.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your assessment of not enjoying looking through all the commons. personally, though, I wouldnt worry too much about the commons in this set as you only have $16 invested. It may be a fun exercise to see if you could finish and spend less than $40 or so.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    I agree with your assessment of not enjoying looking through all the commons. personally, though, I wouldnt worry too much about the commons in this set as you only have $16 invested. It may be a fun exercise to see if you could finish and spend less than $40 or so.

That was my original plan. I have been working on it for 15 years. It has been fun going to shows and trading the cards I do not want for 1960s. I do not care about condition so some of the cards have issues. I might still hold on to it. I go back and forth.

• fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

If you decide to continue with the set, I have quite a few mid grade raw commons that could give you a boost towards completion if you wanted to do some more trading

@fmclaug11 said:
    If you decide to continue with the set, I have quite a few mid grade raw commons that could give you a boost towards completion if you wanted to do some more trading

thank you.