Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1839 1 1/2 Pence

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2021 8:12AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello Everyone... I'm a long time forum member, but usually post over in US Coins. I recently came by this piece in an old change purse and know very little about them. I see that the mintage is 760000 so it's likely not all that rare, but if anyone can provide further insights as to grade and approximate value, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

.925 silver, .0210 troy ounce actual silver weight. I'd call it VF. Apparently these were struck for use in Ceylon and Jamaica and not GB proper. Value for a VF in 1986 was $6.00 in the Krause-Mishler catalog. Hopefully someone else can provide a more recent valuation.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    .925 silver, .0210 troy ounce actual silver weight. I'd call it VF. Apparently these were struck for use in Ceylon and Jamaica and not GB proper. Value for a VF in 1986 was $6.00 in the Krause-Mishler catalog. Hopefully someone else can provide a more recent valuation.

Thanks! I figured it wasn't all that valuable a piece. I found out from a family member that this coin was something brought over by one of our ancestors that came to the US in 1845 from Ireland. I see that the coinage was destined for Ceylon and the Caribbean, but wonder if a small proportion circulated in England and Ireland too...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

They were also used in Australia, many turn up in the Goldfields along with coinage from other countries. Even though they were not legal tender in GB but because they have the word Britanniar on them they are included in most GB collections and books. The 1837 is the hardest one to find as the mintage was so small.

• Options

This is one in MS64

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

The coin was also know as Three - Halfpence.