Home Sports Talk
Options

Was Dexter Lawrence offsides?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story has been a hot topic today, and Dexter Lawrence took responsibility for the penalty but hinted that he didn't think he was offsides.

Report: Giants' Dexter Lawrence wasn't offside for field goal vs. Washington

New York Giants tackle Dexter Lawrence might not have deserved that game-losing penalty, after all.

The first game of Week 2 of the 2021 NFL season has given the football community arguably the biggest officiating-related controversy, to date, of the campaign.

Washington Football Team kicker Dustin Hopkins received a second opportunity to convert a game-winning field goal Thursday night, which he did, after New York's Dexter Lawrence was flagged for jumping early and being offside before Hopkins missed his first attempt. However, multiple reporters and handfuls of fans later took several looks at the first kick from different angles and said Lawrence did not cross the line of scrimmage before the snap of the ball started.

Former Giants player and two-time Super Bowl champion Lawrence Tynes took the investigation into his own hands, and he says the game film confirms Lawrence shouldn't have been penalized and the contest should've ended after Hopkins' first kick went wide:

Lawrence hinted earlier in the day that he knew he wasn't in the wrong.

"My opinion really don’t matter," he said of the play when speaking with reporters. "We lost the game. The refs called what they called."

As Tynes noted, the Giants will receive little more than a phone call from somebody within the league if his report is, indeed, accurate.

Nevertheless, 0-2 Big Blue must get over Thursday's result and prepare to face the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 26.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 4:59PM

Here is Dexter Lawrence's quote about the play when he hinted he wasn't in the wrong:

"I’m supposed to move when the ball moves,” said Lawrence, who was lined up right next to the Washington snapper on the play. “My job is to get off and attack whoever’s in front of me."

• Options

Ah, who are we kidding here, the Giants couldn't even pick up a first down in the red zone with 2:00 to go in the game.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

rudy was. total sham.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course he was offside. Look at his own body language. He stopped moving because he knew he'd jumped.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Of course he was offside. Look at his own body language. He stopped moving because he knew he'd jumped.

Yes, this is fake news. Of course he was off side....and yes his body language after he jumped proves it. There is no controversy here.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you watch the short video clip above it's pretty clear that he doesn't move at all until the center moves the ball. he's directly over the center and is waiting for the snap. the Officials at either side of the field and along the line of scrimmage can no way see that, it can't be seen by the announcers, the fans, the benches or anyone watching the game at home, but he's right over the ball.

since everything inside of two minutes is reviewed I would say that New York blew another one. I will say this: if that was off-side on the defense than why wasn't it illegal procedure on the offense for the center lifting the ball to simulate the snap.

it can't be both ways.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

That film shows there could be an argument he was not offside. Selective editing. I believe he was already in the neutral zone when the film begins. A down the line camera would show they got the call right.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t say either way but if the ref saw movement towards the line then he was offsides. If he’s 3” farther back from the line we wouldn’t be talking about it

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if he was offsides, but it looks like he lined up closer to the neutral zone and got a very good jump on the snap.