Home Sports Talk
Options

A thought about last night's NFL game.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did the Giants manage to get the ball before the 2:00 minute warning via an interception and manage to run 16 seconds off the clock and not get a first down?? I've watched NFL football for decades and am certainly not as smart as those involved in operating/coaching a Team, but what we saw last night is an often repeated outcome: a Team needing to get one first down at the end of game to "ice" the victory and being unable to do it.

Everyone, except perhaps the mentally unbalanced and a few billion Chinese, knew what needed to be done and what would be done, to wit.....................the Giants need to kill some time and get a first down so they'll run the ball!!! :s

How did that work out for ya, Giants??

In an era of passing, scheming and data over-analysis/metrics, don't Teams know already that a tactic like that fails?? In an era of "packages" where certain players and plays are used together, isn't it logical to assume that Teams will have certain things that work, things that are situational with a very high likelihood to succeed?? Wouldn't it make sense that Teams would have practiced and prepared for a situation just like last night so they can make one first down??

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, that the New York Giants really suck.......................again this season.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 8:06AM

It's the Giants, nothing surprises me with them. They had the game won when Washington missed the first kick, but they jumped offsides, just a complete lack of focus.

• Options

actually, they jumped off-sides first, but I get your point. as the old saying goes, "The Giants snatched defeat from the jaws of Victory." :p

• Options

@keets said:
    actually, they jumped off-sides first, but I get your point. as the old saying goes, "The Giants snatched defeat from the jaws of Victory." :p

Yes, they managed to screw it up, bigtime.

• Options

there were two off-side penalties on that drive. the thing about the last one is that there is always talk about not doing just what they did which makes it even more egregious. the likelihood of blocking a Field Goal is almost zero, so why move prior to snap, why try to jump the count??

• Options

I thought it was over after the Hopkins missed the kick, I couldn't believe it when the flag came out and the Giants got an offsides and Washington got a second chance, insane ending.

• Options

it reminds me of all the times the HC calls a time-out to "ice" the kicker and he ends up icing his own Team!! :D

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 11:46AM

The Giants are the bottom of the barrell in the NFC East right now, and Daniel Jones got yelled at by one of his receivers last night, an absolute disaster of a night for New York's football Giants.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s just take a step back. The Giants scored 29 points on supposedly the best DL in football. Barkley is 2 games in from a season ending injury. They were on the road.
    Yes they were sloppy. Penalties and turnovers will kill good teams.
    I will say this. If Joe judge doesn’t clean up those mistakes and bring some discipline he’s in his last year. This team should win half their games with the players they have.
    Someone needs to teach Jones the art of holding on to the football. He can be a solid QB with the right coaching. Yet to be seen if it’s Judge.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2021 11:56AM

It was a great game that the Giants should have won, I would not have wanted to be Dexter Lawrence walking into the Giants locker room after the game last night.

• Options

The Giants are getting roasted for that loss last night.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants weren’t figured to make the playoffs. If Dak stays healthy, with his past record seems a given no team from that division is fighting for a wildcard. The Giants need to continue to build the team from the ground up.
    But, and there’s always a but, I don’t think the front office knows how. They paid a lot of money for aging stars. If they’re really in a win now attitude they are sorely mistaken

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 7:31PM

@keets said:

I've watched NFL football for decades and am certainly not as smart as those involved in operating/coaching a Team.......

Maybe you're smarter than you think you are.......and they're not.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

If you miss on a first round QB, you’re done for 5 years, see you later. That’s what this boils down to.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS