Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Slab downtime - cracking wax

Unopened guys- avert your eyes. Never seen a box post 1980 that wasn't begging to be cracked ( well maybe a few dozen I won't)

I had some downtime last year due to health ( 6 weeks) , and a hobby friend knows of some recent May health issues ( 4 months later still dealing with midsection paresthesia caused by them), so to cheer me up he sent me a whole bunch of wax. If @blurryface and other football and hoop guys could follow along next few weeks until the slab meltdown begins again and sorta guide me I'd appreciate it. This is what I call the "dark side" == basically stuff out of my baseball comfort zone. Wouldn't know a high end hit without research and help.

I intend on subbing quite a bit of stuff either to PSA ( higher hit resales) or BGS (lower end resales)
I only PC one football player the rest are all baseball. So will prioritize what goes in when based on folks feedback.

I already cracked two small football boxes ( 2013 Press Pass Showcase and 2013 Press Pass Game Day) with the best pull in the Game Day a Keenan Allen Gold/Blue Ink # /99 auto and from the Showcase box an RGIII Game Day Threads # 12/25 piece.

Now= I'm about to attack the first box of Hoop stuff my hobby friend sent me - 2020-21 Select Basketball ( Megabox 4/8 config)
This box apparently has some hot Lamelo Ball stuff along with Green/White/Red Prizm inserts and a rookie a pack
I've also been advised to look for Silver Prizms and the usual superstars. Been told I can keep and sub stuff to PSA or BGS on the lower end = he'll guide me on what to do. Has 8 packs with 4 cards each inside. I do know some hoop players (somewhat) but couldn't tell you who is hot right now and who is not rookie wise

So the set up apparently is three levels total. It is Blue in color for the base issue ( hopefully I read the box right)

Concourse , which is the base set and lowest level
Premier Level , sorta midrange importance and a harder to pull ,
Courtside which is the highest level and most desired pull

So each of those levels has various inserts of value, colors , etc

One thing that intrigues me is I see it has Select Numbers in it. This reminds me of 1998 Select baseball which I love
I saw a few breakers pulls and its exactly like that set although the base items have a matted dull finish
So I may decide later this year to partake in some boxes I buy with my own money
I'm gonna blame him,Mark, and several other hobbyists (including @blurryface on CU) for bringing me over to the dark side ( what I call anything not baseball)
They keep posting this stuff and anytime it tickles a certain nerve, I might decide to pay attention to it

Box pictures . I ALWAYS take pics of boxes before I open and then packs because I have a two year old thread of cracking boxes while I downsize ( thread is on another website)

Comments

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

PACK PICTURES ( IN AND OUT OF THE BOX)

• Options

I am guessing what these Prizms "might " be called
    I'll post pictures when I can later on in the day = maybe somebody can help a brother out who is a Hoop newbie !!
    Posting this now but I'll scan in 2-3 hrs after I run pre planned errands and do pickups that are time sensitive

PACK 1

JAMES HARDEN CONCOURSE BLUE # 12
    DENI AVDIJA ROOKIE CONCOURSE # 69
    DEVONTE GRAHAM RED/WHITE/GREEN PRIZM COURTSIDE # 241
    LAMELO BALL SELECT NUMBERS #1

Lamelo doesn't show anything unusual so I'll presume its a base special insert (?!?)
    The Graham is a Courtside so I guess that's a good thing also !

PACK 2

GIANNIS ANTENTOKOUNPO CONCOURSE # 54
    PAYTON PRITCHARD ROOKIE PREMIER LEVEL # 196
    TYRESE MAXEY RED/WHITE/GREEN PRIZM CONCOURSE # 81
    DUNCAN ROBINSON SILVER PRIZM CONCOURSE #30

No idea if Mr Robinson there is any good all I remember on the Heat this year was hearing about "Bam Bam "

PACK 3

JALEN SMITH ROOKIE CONCOURSE # 70
    ISAAC OKORO PREMIER LEVEL ROOKIE # 182
    BOGDAN BOGDANOVIC RED/WHITE/GREEN PRIZM CONCOURSE # 50
    BOGDAN BOGDANOVIC PRIZM CONCOURSE # 50

OK so two rookies, which make no sense, and two same player different types?
    Would be great if it was I dunno- Luka lol ?!!? Least it was a Premier Level

PACK 4

DONOVAN MITCHELL CONCOURSE # 27
    JUSUF NURKIC CONCOURSE # 51
    BAM ADEBAYO RED/WHITE/GREEN PRIZM CONCOURSE # 8
    DAVIS BERTANS RED/WHITE/GREEN PRIZM CONCOURSE #28

Two guys I know about and two I have no clue about
    And those RWG Prizms are confusing as the interior color is mixed on all these

PACK 5

MITCHELL ROBINSON CONCOURSE #9
    MATISSE THYBULLE PREMIER LEVEL #139
    TIM HARDAWAY JR RED/ WHITE /GREEN PRIZM PREMIER LEVEL #128
    ONYEKA OKONGWU ROOKIE PRIZM CONCOURSE #66

Another Premier Prizm that's good

PACK 6

KILLIAN HAYES ROOKIE CONCOURSE #67
    MARVIN BAGLEY III CONCOURSE # 25
    ONYEKA OKONGWU ROOKIE RED/ WHITE /GREEN CONCOURSE PRIZM #66
    PRECIOUS ACHIUWA ROOKIE SELECTIONS # 15

PACK 7

ZEKE NNAJI ROOKIE CONCOURSE #82
    PRECIOUS ACHIUWA COURTSIDE #281
    DAMIAN LILLARD RED/ WHITE /GREEN PRIZM CONCOURSE # 24
    LUKA DONCIC PREMIER LEVEL PRIZM # 150

Um-- seems to be a decent pack that one aye ?? Luka is all blue and a Prizm- kinda cool- Dallas colors !
    Another Courtside and not sure if the Achiuwa guys any good- anyone with a hoop clue ?

PACK 8

RUSSELL WESTBROOK CONCOURSE # 39
    CASSIUS WINSTON ROOKIE CONCOURSE # 96
    PATRICK WILLIAMS RED/ WHITE /GREEN PREMIER LEVEL PRIZM # 185
    BAM ADEBAYO CONCOURSE PRIZM # 8

Not a bad break will post the scans later tonite. Enjoyed that box !!

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters For the record…I don’t know anything about basketball cards, but I really enjoyed your well written post!!! Looking forward to seeing the cards… Thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @jeffv96masters For the record…I don’t know anything about basketball cards, but I really enjoyed your well written post!!! Looking forward to seeing the cards… Thanks for sharing.

Makes two of us @threeofsix who do not know anything about hoop- but that doesn't mean I'm not open to learning :#

Anyway =as promised = pics taken later in the day. Pardon my scanner its not doing good on the dark colors and it appears I forgot to wipe down the are as dust seems prevalent- gotta vacuum !!
    FYI Red and Green give every older scanner nightmares this Epson V300 Photo scanner is a good 8-9 yrs old
    The Blue Prizms pop in person

Might by another box these were cool looking- even the base stuff looks good. I will have to list a bunch of stuff and sell first though = hobby has to pay for itself