Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Clemente Raw Cello Pack Break Pull - Guess the Grade

In May or June of 2020, I bought into a 1970 Topps baseball cello break. First online break I had bought into. I think I paid $100. I got the pull of the night by getting this beauty. Using my LCS, I sent it into PSA for grading in August 2020. I finally got it back this past weekend. Before I reveal the slab, any guesses to what grade it came back as? NOTE: Scratches are on the card saver and not the card. And, apologies for the glare in the pic.

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

i vote a 9

• Options

beautiful card, I am going to say 8 due to top to bottom centering. nothing would surprise me though

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I'll go 8. Nice card, for sure.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 7:10AM

but if an 8 its bc of TB

• Options

I think Clemente is staring at the top boarder
    Great card!

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

What a pull! That's a thing of beauty.

Also, if it had to be off centered in any direction - I think you got the best outcome there. Sometimes a bit of heavy margin on bottom doesn't look bad or unnatural at all.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is fantastic!! what a thrill

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Great card! Congratulations.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 9:04AM

My first thought was 8.5, but the way things are lately if you said it was a 7 I wouldn't be shocked. With all that being said I will say it is a PSA 8.

Edited to add: I scrolled to the bottom without knowing there was a grade reveal already.

Also: My belief is that in issues like 1970 Topps the top border needs to be similar to the side borders (which it is) and not the bottom border. An even trickier issue top to bottom is 1972 Topps.

• Options

How is the back centered?

• Options

I would have guessed an 8. I think the grade is right on point. Absolutely beautiful card. Congrats on the pull!

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Astounding!

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, I have a card from that same pack break, Seattle Pilots common like 95/5 OC I should dig it up and burn!!! I think you did a bit better, congrats!!!

• Options

Back is definitely more OC TB.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet card .. I'd be happy with an 8.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 11:48AM

as others have mentioned, a tad bit off t/b, but heck of thrill all the way around. first break, a 70s pack at that, landing a clemente and then being lucky enough to top it off w a nrmt card w tremendous eye appeal. you win the internet today!

• Options

Goose sat in the same cello as Roberto for 50+ years.
    Congrats again on the grades, jealous as hell!!!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card! T/B centering kept it from being a Mint 9 but imo this card is the reason half grades were created.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the break and the grade.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 1:48PM

@grote15 said:
    Beautiful card! T/B centering kept it from being a Mint 9 but imo this card is the reason half grades were created.

i think if it didnt have that stray blue ink on the border of the back, the 8.5 woulda been a definite? just about all of them have. kinda like the 69 ryan holie in border,

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Just curious what is the indention on the back top right corner of your photo? Or is that just part of the paper construction?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@grote15 said:

i think if it didnt have that stray blue ink on the border of the back, the 8.5 woulda been a definite? just about all of them have. kinda like the 69 ryan holie in border,

The stray ink on the back border is found on most if not all of his cards. A great looking card for sure.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:

One of Jim Bouton's teammates that season in Seattle, so he shows up in a couple of anecdotes in Ball Four.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card! It's in the right holder but PSA has been inconsistent on these over the years. I see a lot of 9s centered like that, though mostly commons.

• Options

@JBrules said:

@blurryface said:

@grote15 said:

The stray ink on the back border is found on most if not all of his cards. A great looking card for sure.

most but not all. which is why i referenced the similar scenario w/ 69 ryan w the hole/break in the border. now it theoretically could be on all of them and in most cases where it is not present seems to a case of the back being centered to where most of that mark is off the card. when i was doing my basic clemente run, i remember looking endlessly for one w/o the pd. i would go straight to the back on new listings and vividly remember running across many needles only to go back to the front and being heartbroken when it turned out to be an opc.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@blurryface said:

@grote15 said:

Yes, and for that reason, I dont think it should have precluded the additional half grade based on overall eye appeal.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Congrats again on the grades, jealous as hell!!!!

Is the back way off center because that front is nowhere near 95/5 centering.

• Options

It’s about the same? Maybe 80/20? Don’t see any print?Didn’t pay too much attention to it as it is not Clemente. If I am not mistaken Rodney Carew was in the same cello when cracked by Steve?I don’t think as nice as the Clemente if I recall.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Correct grade. I also think the slight bottom right corner touch took it out of contention from a 9. Very very strong card though. High End 8.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Actually, the more I look at it....I don't like it at all. Terrible card. You should sell it to me right away to get rid of such a terrible looking card. LOL

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Trivia time:

Greg Goossen was Gene Hackman's stand in for several years in Hollywood, including appearing in one of my all time favorite moves, The Unforgiven.

• Options

Hahaha nice!! The Goose!

@robert67 said:
    Trivia time:

Greg Goossen was Gene Hackman's stand in for several years in Hollywood, including appearing in one of my all time favorite moves, The Unforgiven.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

great card any surface wrinkles when you look at it at close view. if not i see an eight maybe a nine if the grader is having a good day.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Wow. Nice card. I was going to say 9.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

@gemint said:
    There's something to be said about pulling a card from the pack and grading it yourself. You can't get better provenance than that. I have a PSA 8 1971 Pete Rose I pulled from a rack pack. It's not quite as nice as the 8 I have in my set but I've kept it anyway. I can't bring myself to sell a card of that significance that I pulled from the pack myself.

100%