Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Urban Meyer jump ship and go to USC?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

USC fired their head coach and insane stories are circulating like crazy that Urban Meyer is interested in the USC job.

USC coaching search: Former football executive hearing Urban Meyer could be interested in job

The September firing of USC head coach Clay Helton sent some shockwaves in college football circles for a move this early in the cycle.. The firing was not only shocking because of its timing, but also because of the names immediately linked to the opening. One of those names was Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer, who was linked to USC by NFL executive and analyst Michael Lombardi.

“I’m just minding my own business yesterday, watching tape, and I get a text from somebody in the league. They said, ‘Urban to USC,’” Lombardi shared on The Pat McAfee Show on Tuesday. “And I said, ‘No way.’ And the guy says, ‘You want to bet on it?’ And when he said that, I’m thinking, ‘Wait a second here. He knows way more than I do. He’s asking me the answers to the test that he already knows.’ So, I said, ‘Well, tell me why.’ And he said, ‘Look, everybody in Columbus’ and this gentleman’s from Columbus — ‘Knows that maybe pro football may not be sitting well with Urban.’”

If Meyer were to have legitimate interest in the USC job, it would come as quite a shock, considering the route he took to get the Jacksonville job. After stepping down at Ohio State in 2018, Meyer spent years as an analyst in college football. He did not appear to be interested in getting back into coaching, but once the Jaguars got the top pick — eventually quarterback Trevor Lawrence — Meyer came out of retirement for the job.

Things have not gone well so far, though. Jacksonville went 1-2 in the preseason and lost Week 1 on Sunday to the Houston Texans, 37-21. In the game, Lawrence threw for 332 yards and three scores, but also had three interceptions.

“Now, they’re gonna deny all this; we all know that, right? They’re gonna say, ‘Oh no, Urban’s loving it,’ and all that,” Lombardi said. “But when he was working for FOX, everybody in Los Angeles and Columbus thought he was going to take the USC job, but Clay Helton is the ultimate survivor. And I found it interesting that for all the times Clay was going to get fired, after Stanford was the time they decided to fire him. Like, they were not going to give him a chance to recoup the season, right? Like, that makes no sense.

“It’s only the second game of the year, right? Like, he could really come back. He could come back and win all the rest of his games. You pull the plug now, that tells me there’s more to it. It’s what we call, again second order thinking. There’s got to be more to this than just meets the eye.”

Meyer will coach his second NFL game this Sunday against the Denver Broncos at home. The game kicks off at 1 p.m. ET.

Comments

• Options

Urban Meyer reading the news that USC just fired their head coach....

• Options

Of course NFL Twitter is having a field day with this.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t understand guys like Saban and Meyer, they got the money, legend status, rings and they want to leave that for the complicated and cutthroat NFL?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I can’t understand guys like Saban and Meyer, they got the money, legend status, rings and they want to leave that for the complicated and cutthroat NFL?

I can't understand it either, I would have just rode off into the the sunset as one of the greatest college coaches in history.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I can't understand it either, I would have just rode off into the the sunset as one of the greatest college coaches in history.

It’s a common theme too, aside from Jimmy Johnson and Switzer the rest have pretty much fallen on their face

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

It’s a common theme too, aside from Jimmy Johnson and Switzer the rest have pretty much fallen on their face

Yep, I remember Steve Spurrier trying to coach the Redskins, that was a disaster, Urban should have left well enough alone.

• Options

Lashing out at coaches, temper problems, he can't handle losing. Per report:

"He has everyone looking over their shoulders already. He becomes unhinged way too easily, and he doesn’t know how to handle losing, even in the preseason. He loses it and wants to take over the drills himself. It’s not good.”

• Options

Another statement from the La Canfora report:

"You can’t freak out about preseason games and belittle your coaches — on a staff you handpicked — every time things don’t go your way. It’s not going to work here."

• Options

I told stevek a few months back about how crazy Urban Meyer is, he's insane about winning and has a vicious temper.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Tebow have any eligibility left?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    Does Tebow have any eligibility left?

Good question, I fear for Trevor Lawrence's safety, I can just imagine how Urban Meyer handled watching Trevor Lawrence throw three interceptions to the Texans, the conversation between Urban and Trevor in the locker room after the game probably went something like this.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 9:17AM

I can't imagine playing for the Jaguars and losing a game, just look at him, the man is crazy.

• Options

Tales of temper tantrums, outbursts, anger, betrayal, I believe it all.

• Options

And of course NFL Twitter is all over this scandal like stink on a gorilla.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

he's better suited for NCAA but I wouldn't expect he has any interest in leaving the Jags.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 9:57AM

Well, news just broke that Urban Meyer has shot down the rumors of him taking the USC job, it was a beautuful scandal while it lasted. Here is his quote:

No chance," Meyer said. "I'm here, I'm committed to try and build an organization."

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 10:06AM

Don't worry everyone, while this scandal may be a distant memory, we still have the Urban Meyer temper tantrum scandal, and I'm sure there will be plenty of good and juicy stories to harvest from it. Maybe if we're lucky, just maybe.....

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

PJ Fleck to SC. 50%+

Have a nice day
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the Broncos clean his clock this weekend, and the Jags go 0-2, I would think the Urban temper will begin to percolate. Treating college players vs professional athletes is a whole different world. Screaming and intimidating won't fly.

I agree with the poster(s) above, got the money, got the titles, got the fame, why the hell are you in the NFL??? Can only be stated in two words...ego and power. Of course making about $800k per game ain't chump change.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    PJ Fleck to SC. 50%+

That would be a great hire

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say there are 12 MILLION reasons PER year to make a respectable coach become a loser!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumors swirling right now. The Guy from Penn, Franklin. Also, Eric Bienemy.

But the great rumor is Christobal at twice his Oregon salary.

When you realize that Hughes gave $490 million to SC and right now there are two billion dollar inheritance estates ready to go to SC, you start to realize...money is no object.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were SC, I would stay with an interim through this year and then vet out coach in the offseason where there could be more takers. That gives folks like Urban to see whether he likes the NFL or bolts. Since the Jags look like they are on the way to a really gad season (again), you never know.

HST, being a Duck and Beav fan, I want SC to fail in all ways when it comes to sports, so let them pick now and get another dufus........

No way Christobal moves from the best facilities in football, and the relaxed lifestyle that Eugene offers his family. He is the type of guy who wants to succeed at Oregon, which is emerging as one of the best sports universities as Phil Knight has piled 100s of millions into building that pat of UO up. SC is just not that relevant any more, at least in NCAAF compared to what is going on in Eugene. So great that SC has the donors too, but they are behind and it will be years to catch up once the money flows in. And they aren't in Eugene............

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...