Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

20x Loupes for viewing varieties $20

rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2021 7:50PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

I have advocated using "real" photographic lenses as loupes to view coins for many years. The best loupes tend to be triplets, ie they have 3 elements, and are designed to have decent color correction and low distortion. Typically, the worst photographic lenses have 4 elements, and many have 6 or more. Photographic lenses are also usually coated to improve contrast and transmission, while loupes generally are not. These are some of the reasons photographic lenses cost much more than loupes.

A few folks have heard me, and have converted over to enlarging lenses for coin viewing. Enlarging lenses are very high quality, and available very cheaply on the used market. They are readily available in 50-135mm focal lengths, with a few types available in shorter or longer focal lengths.

There is a simple formula that will convert "Focal Length" (FL) to "Magnification" (M)

M = 250/FL + 1

So a 50mm lens has a magnification of 6x when used as a loupe, while a 125mm lens has magnification of 3x. These magnifications are great for viewing and grading coins, so the available range of lens focal lengths is very synergistic with our hobby.

But what about higher magnification? Many folks use the B&L 14x and 20x Triplets for viewing and attributing varieties. I myself own these Triplet loupes, and used them for years before I got a stereo microscope. I was never happy with them, and was ecstatic when I got my stereoscope, but there is still a need for that "quick view", or to check for varieties at coin shows, etc. The 14x and 20x have been mainstays for this, though their image quality, distortion, contrast, field flatness, and field of view have always been limiting. But they are the best available for this purpose. Or are they???

I've just run across a small supply of 13mm optical scanner lenses that were designed for microfiche viewing. They are a bit larger than the B&L 20x body, and have a bit higher magnification, a bit wider field of view, and are quite a bit sharper and more contrasty. They also have much less distortion, and because of these qualities I find them much more comfortable to use as well as more revealing of variety details. They don't take the place of a good stereoscope, but if you don't have a stereoscope, you want the best quality loupe you can get. Here's a (not very good) pic of the loupe next to a Lincoln Cent:

These high power lenses are very small, so please be forewarned not to expect a big lens. To be specific, this lens is only about 1/2" in diameter and 1/2" long! It has a nice black aluminum body, and I will wrap the body with black friction tape if requested to improve the feel of the lens.

Only disadvantage to these is they have no case/handle like the B&L's, so you end up simply holding the lens body. You will also need to store them in a place where they won't get dusty or scratched. Part of the price of the B&L's is their nice folding handle, but the most important thing about loupes is the image quality, not the nice mechanics, right? But even with the most modest of craft skills you can add a dowel handle to these, and make a leather pouch like I did:

B&L 20x Triplets retail for ~$70 these days, though I do see some available on eBay for ~$40. I'm going to sell these loupes for $20, which is a heck of a deal for a lens that will optically outperform the B&L 20x in every way.

I can ship the lens for $5 so total with shipping (in the US) is $25.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options

PM sent.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options

Received today (or yesterday, I'm not sure since I didn't check mail yesterday). Scared myself looking at the back of my hand!
    Thanks again!

Dan

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several folks have requested I make these available with a handle, so I'm going to offer ones with handles for an extra $5. The one above has a lanyard hole, but until I get some bags I'll offer these without holes for $25 plus $5 shipping. Here's an example:

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure next to these no other loupes have ever been deemed as being cute <3

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!