Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

(Past) Time to Retire SMR in Favor of APR

Not sure why, but I decided to sort my 1973 Topps inventory by APR (Auction Price Realized), and in the process I was shocked by the difference between APR and SMR. For 676 cards (variations included), the difference in value was over $12,000 ($6,485 for SMR and $18,601 for APR). Wow.

I'm pretty sure nobody would object if the monthly magazine suddenly switched to APR, and SMR disappeared off the website.

The top 32 or so APR's vs. SMR:

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 5:59AM

....although there might still be some kinks to iron out. :*

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

i dont think anyone goes by SMR value

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

SMR could have a general market outlook/summary instead of a price guide and carry on.

I still enjoy the odd issue from time to time.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

in todays fast pace world of everything any “monthly” guide, no matter what you call it, is outdated. taking it even further, if any quoted sale is over a few days old, its pretty much invalid. then it still has to be vetted as to whether or not it was even legit to begin with w/ all the price manipulation, non paid items and shilling that goes on these days. factor in that not all psa 9s are the same and we get back to the price guid weve all been stating for years now…”buy the card, not the holder monthly”.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

I find that SMR is useful if I am buying an ungraded set and can just use the PSA NM value to replace what I used to use Beckett for

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

The Simba card is a real eye opener.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here participated in being interviewed by someone writing an article for SMR? Just wondering if there's any reason to decline the request I received last week that I'm not thinking of.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Is it Kevin Glew?...I have done a couple with him over the years. Top notch guy, no negatives from my perspective...

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

If anyone I'm dealing with tells me the "book value" of a card, I thank them for their time and walk away. That tells me they're definitely not in touch with the market.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 9:38AM

@miwlvrn said:
    Has anyone here participated in being interviewed by someone writing an article for SMR? Just wondering if there's any reason to decline the request I received last week that I'm not thinking of.

@azvike said:
    Is it Kevin Glew?...I have done a couple with him over the years. Top notch guy, no negatives from my perspective...

yes, a couple of times. he’s does a remarkable job! tell’em bob said hello!

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

I’ve done a few articles over the years and 1 in the last 2 months and would recommend the experience to participate when asked.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 2:25PM

The problem is APR's includes eBay sales by PWCC. Thus Shill bids and fraudulent auctions now are determiner for things like grading charges. PSA therefore has profiting from PWCC's fraudulent auctions. More than month later PWCC items have not been removed from PSA's APR listings which to me seem very very wrong.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    The problem is APR's includes eBay sales by PWCC. Thus Shill bids and fraudulent auctions now are determiner for things like grading charges. PSA therefore has profiting from PWCC's fraudulent auctions. More than month later PWCC items have not been removed from PSA's APR listings which to me seem very very wrong.

^This. I often see history like this for a card:

Seller xxx $25.99
    Seller yyy $34.21
    Seller zzz $28.37
    PWCC $273.27
    Seller www $32.54

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@azvike said:

Yes, it is Kevin Glew, thanks.

• Options

Kevin is a great guy, done a few interviews with him, and the articles were very well done, and considerate. It's an interesting experience. I recommend contributing. The Dude

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options

Interesting post. I too have nothing but good things to say about Kevin Glew. I think the SMR serves a purpose but pricing in the market is not one of them. REA will include SMR values in their listings but I am not certain how many other auction houses do that.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@scmavl said:
    If anyone I'm dealing with tells me the "book value" of a card, I thank them for their time and walk away. That tells me they're definitely not in touch with the market.

I see massive opportunity if someone is pricing that way. Look at how many cards are selling at massive multiples of ‘book’ value in this market. I’d love a list of folks selling at book value to cherry pick.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS