Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969-70 Topps basketball unopened packs

Good Morning Collectors...

I made a "cheesy" video of my 1969-70 Topps BBK packs that I have. Any feedbacks would be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-3QlOVzBg

I might try to open those live just for fun....

Comments

• Options

sorry.. i know the sound track volume is a bit loud. I will definitely make some improvement for my future clips.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone here will say keep closed but I say bust a few of those bad boys!

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

**Don't open! ** Even if you get some good cards, the chances of centering being decent are low.

Does PSA grade tall-boy packs?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    **Don't open! ** Even if you get some good cards, the chances of centering being decent are low.

PSA doesn't grade tall-boy packs, only BBCE would authenticate them.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaughtMyWow said:

Guess my Partridge Family Posters pack is out too :(

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaughtMyWow said:

Guess my Partridge Family Posters pack is out too :(

Not to mention these….

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do the seals of the packs look?

• Options

@handyman said:
    how do the seals of the packs look?

I will do video of each pack to go over the seals. They are very nice and untampered with. A few packs have key cards showing.

• Options

What key cards?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭

i love that stack of packs.

• Options

@handyman said:
    What key cards?

Jerry West, John Havlicek etc.

• Options

Awesome whats the story behind them. How did you find them? Did they come with a display box as well. Really cool find.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

I would never open any of them. The odds of coming up with cards that equal the value of an unopened pack are SO remote that you'd be lighting money on fire.

• Options

@handyman said:
    Awesome whats the story behind them. How did you find them? Did they come with a display box as well. Really cool find.

I guess i will provide some background of how I obtained these packs back in the 90s in my future videos. pls subscribe and stay tuned...

• Options

@VitoCo1972 said:
    I would never open any of them. The odds of coming up with cards that equal the value of an unopened pack are SO remote that you'd be lighting money on fire.

I am pretty sure I will open at least one of those packs live on youtube. May be I will send out a raffle or two and sell the rest of the slots just like what those "pack breaks" company does.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the genuine discussion. Cool ad.

• Options

How do you know they are 100% authentic. First step would be to authenticate them with BBCE as you already know.
    Good luck.

• Options

@handyman said:
    How do you know they are 100% authentic. First step would be to authenticate them with BBCE as you already know.
    Good luck.

Thx for your advise, it makes perfect sense to authenticate them if I plan to sell them. If I know I will end up opening them, what's the point to spend $250 each to authenticate them. If one collects wax packs long enough, it isn't rocket science to tell my packs are authentic especially I got them from a reliable source back in the early 90s. However, I truly understand no one will take my words if i ever want to sell them. I just hope one day PSA will have holders for them since their holders look a lot more solid than just shrink wraps.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2021 9:03AM

Ive heard of people searching packs well before the 1990s. Also some people as weird as it may seem search packs and put key cards inside the packs. You said you were going to"send out a raffle or two and sell the rest of the slots"
    Key word SELL. So it you want to SELL them you still need to authenticate them even if you do open them. Some(many) might think you are selling fake packs. Or you could get the same price you paid for them in the 90s unauthenticated and not the record sale of 275,000.00 as you shared. Those were authenticated as you know.

• Options

Chances of me getting people to buy my slots are slim since I am just a "nobody" :) But i do understand the concept of having a reliable 3rd party to certify they are good.

• Options

Yes, even if you showed a video of you opening the first pack and you pulling 3 Jabbars.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 9:02PM

@handyman said:
    Ive heard of people searching packs well before the 1990s. Also some people as weird as it may seem search packs and put key cards inside the packs. You said you were going to"send out a raffle or two and sell the rest of the slots"
    Key word SELL. So it you want to SELL them you still need to authenticate them even if you do open them. Some(many) might think you are selling fake packs. Or you could get the same price you paid for them in the 90s unauthenticated and not the record sale of 275,000.00 as you shared. Those were authenticated as you know.

Yes, packs were absolutely searched in the 80's. The one thing that was not done in the 80's was resealing racks and cellos. In the late 80's, cellos and racks were assumed fine because they couldn't be resealed.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2021 2:04PM

They Just payed full attention to the sequences I guess. Much easier