Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Comparing Financial Performance of Ultra Rarities, Rarities (incl. Key Dates) and the rest.

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mix of logarithmic stock graphs compared to linear price scales present distorted information.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the above match people's experiences when collecting:

1. Ultra Rarities
    2. Rarities / Key Dates
    3. The Rest (aka 3000)
  • Options

@Nysoto said:
    Mix of logarithmic stock graphs compared to linear price scales present distorted information.

The scales on all the charts are linear.

Are you saying the stock graphs were logarithmic an improperly transcribed?

• Options
    edited September 12, 2021 12:46PM

Yes. Look at a linear stock graph of the S&P 500 over the same time period.

edit - wikipedia comparison of the S&P logarithmic to linear https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_500

The OP article graph indicates that coin rarities price increases from 1970 far exceed S&P returns. That is not the case.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always thought the 3000 index was really of limited value. Coins are not stocks. Measuring with an index just isnt a good fit.

• Options

@Gazes said:
    I've always thought the 3000 index was really of limited value. Coins are not stocks. Measuring with an index just isnt a good fit.

Why isn't it a good fit?

What about Price Guides?

It seems that if a Price Guide is a good fit, something like the 3000 index would be worth while as well.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Gazes said:

Why isn't it a good fit?

What about Price Guides?

It seems that if a Price Guide is a good fit, something like the 3000 index would be worth while as well.

A couple of reasons

1) the share of coke you buy and the share of coke that warren buffet buys is the same. The pcgs ms 65 quarter eagle indian I buy and the quarter eagle indian ms 65 that JA buys---probably arent the same and his is probably worth more. So treating coins like an index is difficult.

2) I'm not sure a large index of a basket of coins is the best way to "invest" in coins. I think I would prefer hand selecting coins that were pq or undergraded and that were truely rare. Most money mgrs dont beat the s and p 500---most shrewd collectors and dealers do beat the pcgs 3000.

Coins are just a different animal and I think an index isnt a good fit. I do think an index of ultra rarities probably makes more sense because since they are ultra rare it takes away some of my concerns. That being said---Im not a fan of indexes for coins regardless

• Options
    edited September 12, 2021 1:05PM

@Gazes said:

@Zoins said:

@Gazes said:

Why isn't it a good fit?

What about Price Guides?

A couple of reasons

1) the share of coke you buy and the share of coke that warren buffet buys is the same. The pcgs ms 65 quarter eagle indian I buy and the quarter eagle indian ms 65 that JA buys---probably arent the same and his is probably worth more. So treating coins like an index is difficult.

This may have already happened as it's getting more similar with CAC. JA indicated that it's gotten very expensive for him to buy PQ coins since he's identified so many of them with a CAC sticker now.

2) I'm not sure a large index of a basket of coins is the best way to "invest" in coins. I think I would prefer hand selecting coins that were pq or undergraded and that were truely rare. Most money mgrs dont beat the s and p 500---most shrewd collectors and dealers do beat the pcgs 3000.

The PCGS 3000 seems to be at a relatively break-even level. Before Covid, it seemed like many collectors were doing worse than break-even due to buyer premiums. Also, many in less popular series needed Hansen to come along.

Coins are just a different animal and I think an index isnt a good fit. I do think an index of ultra rarities probably makes more sense because since they are ultra rare it takes away some of my concerns. That being said---Im not a fan of indexes for coins regardless

To me, if Price Guides and estimated prices in auctions make sense, indexes make sense. They go to gether.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2021 1:07PM

@Nysoto said:
    Yes. Look at a linear stock graph of the S&P 500 over the same time period.

edit - wikipedia comparison of the S&P logarithmic to linear https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_500

The OP article graph indicates that coin rarities price increases from 1970 far exceed S&P returns. That is not the case.

Hopefully PCGS will fix this in the guide.

Here's the Wikipedia chart.

• Options

The Wikipedia example I gave is not the best representative, as it goes only to 2016. The S&P is now at 4458, more than double from start of 2016.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2021 3:40PM

@Nysoto said:
    The Wikipedia example I gave is not the best representative, as it goes only to 2016. The S&P is now at 4458, more than double from start of 2016.

My goal with this thread isn't to compare with stocks as I don't think that many people use coins as investments, but unfortunately it has dominated the discussion.

From the charts, for investment returns on coins, it seems ultra rarities are the way to go, and not with rarities, key dates or the rest of the PCGS 3000. Thoughts?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 9:35AM

It’s a highly complex issue with many variables

Unless your able buy / sell coins flip on reg basis successful biz model make positive P&L tough make money RCI. As far as the ultra rarities that’s an arena for the billionaires. See last paragraph below. Graphs are graphs. They do not show the future. Nobody knows the future. People who are collectors with zero experience on the bourse or running a numismatic business really aren’t qualified to analyze this issue IMO. I find many of them like deer in the headlights lacking even basic knowledge in accounting and basic cost analysis. Then in here it at times reminds me of children argueing “my red car is better than your green truck” lol. Everybody knows most collectors lose money over the long term.

Coins do not pay dividends nor something replace equity investment. The wealthy (who can afford ultra rarities) may buy coins if interested like say a yacht. My understanding only a very small percentage of them like coins. Equity investment based on basis of businesses make money. Coins a risky investment - they can go bad in the holder due to exposure with atmosphere, the existing grading / TPG structure, market demand could be defunct or something entirely different in the future. At some point US RCI could simply be a segment merged into a worldwide global numismatic structure. Us Classic Coins not the only numismatic area / others are Paper Money, Mods, and World.

If billionaire even with what I know I would select an agent (commissioned) at a well known firm like Heritage represent me for buying. I would want initially work on $2.50 Indian Set (best slabbed grades could find) plus some slab boxes of slabbed Double Eagles (perhaps in tandem with the set) especially some CC. Of course everything wb subject to my sight seen approval. I am sure many wb stickered but would consult w him on that, go with his recommendation.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll leave the billionaires to worry about ultra-rarity prices.

How much is a BU 50-D nickel worth? :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ultra-rarities behave as their own little segment of the market. How billionaires spend their money is a science unto itself. There's a huge difference between that market and even 5-figure coins.

I agree with the limitations of the index already stated. Stocks are perfectly fungible. Coins are not.

Also, stocks aren't affected by "gradeflation" over time, as coins CLEARLY are. I started collecting about 10 years ago and worked on a high-grade peace dollar set. At the the time, there were precisely two coins graded MS68 and not a single 67+. I even started a thread on it. Now there's 24 of them. There's at least one and often several 67+ coins in every big auction. Many of my old friends are now in holders half a grade to a grade higher. Pretty sure the coins didn't improve since I owned them.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

not everybody has the money to buy rarities, but everybody can buy stocks.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to do this is to look at a large number of specific coins. Rarities tend to have long pedigrees, and historic prices are well known.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:

Sooooo…maybe ultra rarities should be stocks.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@Samuel8 said:

Have you thought about collateralizing your coins? ;)

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Samuel8 said:

If you mean securitizing, Ohhhhhh yessssss.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2021 6:56AM

@tradedollarnut said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Samuel8 said:

If you mean securitizing, Ohhhhhh yessssss.

Instead of stock certificates, you could have stock tokens! You could have Dan @dcarr scan your coins, say the obverse. The reverse could say this token represents ownership of x shares in the real coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file