Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Trying to value the pull of my life: Mike Trout superfractor auto

A few days ago I pulled this out of a 2021 Topps Chrome blaster box pack and I'm trying to figure it's approximate value. The centering isn't perfect and the signature is high... The /50 gold version of this sold a couple of weeks ago for $530 with 11 bidders.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2021 9:57PM

A lot put it on ebay for say 250 000$ and best offers that way if you don't want to sell it it won't and you will get a felling of what others want to pay and if it sells well even better.

No one here can tell you what people are willing to pay for a 1/1 so I advise you to do that.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Funny, I wondered why people put insane prices on some cards. I might do that.

Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2021 10:00PM

Based on other 1/1's sold on ebay some seem to reach 8k to 10k some lower. But at least you get a felling maybe not 250k try listing it at say 50k to gauge the market.

• Options

Wait till you find a pure collector of his that can't live without owning it. No rush to sell.

• Options

Excellent, yes. Thanks again!

• Options

@Michael320 said:
    Excellent, yes. Thanks again!

Someone out there needs it that is for sure.

• Options

Ha. Ebay isn't letting me put a $50k price on it. It's past my price limit of $25k. I know I should just put it up and be happy if someone buys it for $25k but something's keeping from doing it. Otherwise it would on ebay right now. They said if I speak to an agent they could raise my limit. I might try to do that on Monday.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Yeah you’re probably looking in the 3-5k range, possibly slightly more if someone is in love with the 1986 design. There’s several superfractor comps for sale on eBay right now with BIN for much less than 25k, so you’re probably safe at that number if you’re testing the waters.

A great comp is the 2020 chrome 35th anniversary (85 design) that’s listed currently with a 9k BIN.

• Options

Love that Buck O'Neil auto in the background!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty awesome that a card like that is available in a blaster.

• Options

I know this is a wide window, but as someone familiar with the market, your value is between $1500-$5000. Hope this helps.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Michael320 said:
    Ha. Ebay isn't letting me put a $50k price on it. It's past my price limit of $25k. I know I should just put it up and be happy if someone buys it for $25k but something's keeping from doing it. Otherwise it would on ebay right now. They said if I speak to an agent they could raise my limit. I might try to do that on Monday.

first of all, congrats! if someone offers you something even remotely close to $25k, i would take it and run. i understand the personal pull emotions, but you have to strike while the iron is hot. and w/ a non-rookie, guy who hasnt played a full season in a while, only one postseason game of his career and things not looking to get any better, theres no better time then upon immediate release of the product. you might even have a decent chance of being able to buy it back cheaper later on down the road. none of this diminishes what a hellavu pull it was. so again, congrats! bank and dont look back.

This... Congratulations on a great pull.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Congrats. What a pull ! List it for 10k with best offer. If you get an offer for 5k, take it and run.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

I will echo "the strike now while the iron is hot" advice, but only if you are truly serious about not keeping it. I have a similar Topps (major issue) Trout Superfractor from about 5+ years ago. I am kicking myself for not accepting prior offers in the $2-3k range. I still have the card and am happy with it (though I have no emotional attachment to it), but just some perspective from someone that has numerous failed sales/trades over the years.

Congrats again on the pull!

• Options

Thanks all for the excellent advice and perspective! It's going on Ebay tonight...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would wait - Trout’s market is probably at a low point. When he is back next year and back to himself - I think prices will come up some. I also think he is a good long-term keep. You paid $29 for it so you can afford to wait. To a whole generation of kids Trout is the guy. As those kids get older a ton of them are going to want to own at least 1 Trout 1/1.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

It's a tough call since it is Trout. I guess it depends on how much you need/want the money. I once pulled a 2015 Bowman Chrome Rusney Castillo blue auto /150 days after it came out. He was the big international signee, and of a hot product so I was pumped. Saw a few already sold for $300, so put mine up for $325. Immediately got an offer of like $225 with a condescending message from the person about how his offer was the best I would receive, so I should just take it, blah blah blah. No way was I going to sell to someone who talked like that, plus it was well below value. I was like 'yeah right buddy, go pound sand.' Long story short, I never received another offer, and after 3 years of lowering the price over time, finally sold it for about $20 lol.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Amazing pull. Congratulations! And I agree w/ brad31 above.

• Options

Better sell fast! He's injured as usual. Price will drop on him next year. Get money now!!!!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Historicalwood71 said:
    Better sell fast! He's injured as usual. Price will drop on him next year. Get money now!!!!

While I would sell I don't think you need to rush. He had Monster MVP numbers before he got injured. Next year like every year will be a very similar hot start to the season and you can easily sell then.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

While I would sell I don't think you need to rush. He had Monster MVP numbers before he got injured. Next year like every year will be a very similar hot start to the season and you can easily sell then.

Unless he gets hurt again in off-season playing with kids. It can be quick also with decline in value. Remember, once it starts dropping.... That's it! Just don't want you to lose out. I've seen this MANY times

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Cakes said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

Unless he gets hurt again in off-season playing with kids. It can be quick also with decline in value. Remember, once it starts dropping.... That's it! Just don't want you to lose out. I've seen this MANY times

What's the rush? He is ice cold right now with little to no buzz surrounding him. Right now people are looking for Vlad junior and Ohtani cards, not Trout. Next year he will be much more relevant and have collectors actively shopping for him.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

I think the odds are good that he comes back strong with a great season. Half of a year off will probably be good for him (look at Posey, for example).

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

with ohtanis comeback, locking up mvp even w a dismal second half, all eyes will continue to be on him. trout is now second fiddle on his own team. even if trout comes back and has his best year at the plate (highly unlikely) he’s still not pitching. people dont pay as much for second fiddles in the league, let alone on their own team. mitigate your risk. sell it now.

• Options

I would be willing to bet a hundo that Ohtani doesn't make it more than a couple years without getting considerably hurt again!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 1:40PM

@Cakes said:
    I would be willing to bet a hundo that Ohtani doesn't make it more than a couple years without getting considerably hurt again!

i wouldnt take that bet. he might also end up w the yankees before its all said and done too. i know he initially went w a west coast team so japan had the best viable times to watch his games. but by the time either scenario happens, trouts best days could be behind him. nothings guaranteed, so they might be already.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Cakes said:

i wouldnt take that bet. he might also end up w the yankees before its all said and done too. i know he initially went w a west coast team so japan had the best viable times to watch his games. but by the time either scenario happens, trouts best days could be behind him. nothings guaranteed, so they might be already.

Agreed. In hindsight I don't want to root for a player to get injured. Either way I do love that Trout Superfractor, the silver looks amazing!