Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Congrats to TDN for picking up an amazing Eliasberg 1894-S dime!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2021 8:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

GTO Guess The Owner!

Guess which lucky forum member got lucky with one of Eliasberg's 1894-S dimes???

UPDATE: it's TDN as mentioned by Legend on CoinWeek.com. Here's the Stack's sale. It's interesting the the Stack's sale has the old generation NGC insert slab with a new generation PCGS TrueView.

1894-S Barber Dime - Burd-2, "Eliasberg Specimen" - NGC PF65 CAC - Ex. John Martin Clapp, Louis Edward Eliasberg, Sr., Harvey Stack, Larry H. Miller

Laura Sperber said:
When I started in the coin business in 1978, I dreamed of handling maybe one 1894-S dime. I did not think I would ever handle three of them; the so-called “Ice Cream” example, the Simpson coin, and now Eliasberg! Even though the Simpson example is graded a little higher, PR66, this latest 1894-S dime has always been the best looking in my opinion. It’s an honor to handle such an important piece of numismatic history.

Stack's Provenance:

NGC Proof-65. CAC. The Eliasberg Specimen. Ex John M. Clapp, acquired before 1900; John H. Clapp; Clapp estate; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942, via Stack's; our (Bowers and Merena's) sale of the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, May 1996, lot 1250, where it realized $451,000; Harvey Stack; Holecek Family Trust; our (Stack's) 65th Anniversary Sale, October 2000, lot 565, where it realized $431,250; Larry H. Miller Collection.

Of note, although this coin is known as "The Eliasberg Speicmen", Eliasberg had 2 coins, the other being referenced as Burd-3, the "James Stack Specimen".

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to whoever it is

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to own a Barber coin designed coin then this would be it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hubba hubba!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a coin! It's not mine, so one down, many to go...................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2021 7:38PM

Instead of GTG, should we have GTO? Guess The Owner ;)

Added to the OP!

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll guess wondercoin

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who wants ice cream?!

peacockcoins

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is TDN changing his name to The Dime Nut?

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2023 1:02PM
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2021 1:08AM

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Is TDN changing his name to The Dime Nut?

@ChocoboLee said:
    Looks like @tradedollarnut got it.

Ding ding ding! We have 2 winners!

I'll update the OP as we don't need more guesses :)

Here's a quote from the CoinWeek article:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I’m very excited at the opportunity to own this magnificent coin. It joins the 1804 Class I dollar and 1913 Liberty Head nickel in my collection. Very few collectors have ever owned all of the top three most famous American rarities and I’m proud to join that very exclusive group that includes Eliasberg, Col. E.H.R. Green, and Dr. Jerry Buss.

Of note, TDN's nickel and dime are both ex. Eliasberg. Imagine getting the Eliasberg 1804 dollar as well?

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 2:20AM

1894-S Barber Dime - Burd-4, "Daggett Specimen" - formerly NGC PR66, PCGS PR65 - Ex. David Lawrence Feigenbaum, Bob Simpson

Here's the Feigenbaum-Simpson specimen mentioned by Laura who handled this coin for Simpson. What's interesting here is that Kevin Lipton handle both this coin and the Eliasberg coin above.

Note. while Burd-4 has been known as the Daggett Specimen, Heritage says this is unreliable:

Heritage wrote:
    Note: Traditionally, this coin was attributed to Superintendent John Daggett of the San Francisco Mint and his daughter Hallie, but recent research suggests this story is unreliable.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 2:14AM

Here's other Eliasberg coin, known as the "James Stack Specimen". It looks a bit darker from the photos. Did Eliasberg sell this one first?

1894-S Barber Dime - Burd-3, "James Stack Specimen" - PCGS PR66, previously NGC PR66 CAC - Ex. John Martin Clapp, Louis Edward Eliasberg, Sr., James A. Stack, Dan Rosenthal (Just Having Fun)

Of note, this coin was handled by @wondercoin !

Heritage Provenance:
    2. Branch Mint PR66 PCGS Secure, formerly PR66 NGC. CAC. San Francisco source circa 1894, possibly Frank C. Berdan, weigher at the San Francisco Mint; John M. Clapp, before 1900; John H. Clapp; Clapp Estate; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. in 1942, via Stack's; H.R. Lee Collection (Stack's, 10/1947), lot 348, realized $2,150; James A. Stack; James Stack Collection (Stack's, 1/1990), lot 206, realized $275,000; Armen Vartian, agent for "David D.", per Q. David Bowers; Jay Parrino; sold to David Lawrence Rare Coins for $450,000; Bradley Hirst, owner of the Richmond Collection, in 1998 for $825,000, via David Lawrence; Richmond Collection, Part III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1295, as PR66 NGC, realized $1,322,500; Dan Rosenthal, owner of the "Just Having Fun" collection; purchased from Dan Rosenthal and his agent, Mitchell Spivack, by David Lawrence Rare Coins; sold to John Albanese for $1,900,000 in July of 2007; private collector; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2016), lot 5317, realized $1,997,500. Plate coin for the 2005 edition of 100 Greatest U.S. Coins, by Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth and plated on the PCGS CoinFacts website.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 2:19AM

Here's some interesting info!

This is Bruce's second 1894-S dime which wasn't mentioned in the CoinWeek article but is mentioned in Heritage. It turns out Bruce also owned the Dr. Samuel Joseph Gillespie in PCGS PR64+! Here's info on the Gillespie-Morelan coin.

This is from Heritage:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/barber-dimes/dimes/1894-s-10c-branch-mint-pr66-pcgs-pcgs-4805-/a/1310-10055.s?

Heritage provenance for Sep 17, 2020:
    4. PR64+ PCGS. Dr. Samuel Joseph Gillespie Collection (Art Kagin, 10/1984), lot 4176; Kagin's; private collector in 1985; 72nd Anniversary Sale (Stack's, 10/2007), lot 4921, realized $1,552,500; John Albanese; Mark Wieder and John Feigenbaum partnership; Bruce Morelan; John Albanese; Blanchard. Note: This coin was initially believed to be the same specimen as number 1 above, possibly because it shares some common pedigree markers, including a lint mark in the obverse field above the bust. Close examination convinces us that the coins are different examples, however, as the coin in number 2 has a noticeable planchet flaw between D in UNITED and Liberty's bust that does not appear on this coin.

The only current PCGS PR64+ coin is the following which has been Daggett, but HA's list indicates the coins traditionally (bot possibly mistakenly) attributed to Daggett are the PCGS PR66 Feigenbaum-Simpson coin and the PCGS PR63 CAC Jerry Buss specimen

5. PR63 PCGS. CAC. Possibly discovered in a bag of change by a banker in Ukiah, California in 1894; elderly woman, presumably the banker's daughter; sold to San Francisco coin dealer Earl Parker in 1949 for $2,750, along with one other example (see number 1 above), the sale was not revealed until 1951 and Parker sold both coins in 1954; James Kelly; Malcolm Chell-Frost; F.S. Guggenheimer Collection (Stack's, 1/1953), lot 772, realized $2,100; Abner Kreisberg; Empire Coin Company; Abraham J. Kaufman; Joyce M. Kaufman; Sale of the "70s (Kagin, 11/1973), lot 1114, realized $52,000; Superior Galleries in 1978; Dr. Jerry Buss Collection (Superior, 1/1985), lot 617, realized $50,600; Michelle Johnson, acting as agent for Robert Beaumont; Blevins-Bodway Collections (Superior, 6/1988), lot 4510, realized $70,400; E. Horatio Morgan Collection (Stack's Bowers, 8/2019), lot 5178, realized $1,320,000. Note: Traditionally, this coin was attributed to Superintendent John Daggett of the San Francisco Mint and his daughter Hallie, but recent research suggests this story is unreliable.

Heritage provenance for Jan 12, 2005:
    Burd-5. Buss Specimen. Impaired Proof. John Daggett; Hallie Daggett; Earl Parker; James Kelly; Malcolm Chell-Frost; F.S. Guggenheimer (Stack's, 1/1953), lot 772 $2,100; 1973 MANA Sale (Kagin's, 11/1973), $52,000; Jerry Buss (Superior Galleries, 1/1985), lot 617, $50,600; Michelle Johnson; Superior Galleries (6/1988), lot 4510, $70,400; currently unlocated. Johnson-12, Breen-10, Encyclopedia-7, Lawrence-6, Stack's-6.

So, could it be that the Gillespie-Morelan coin is no longer the sole PCGS PR64+ and the current PCGS PR64+ is the Daggett-Buss coin?

Also of note is that the PCGS PR64+ Cert Verification page appears to have a TrueView that was shot through the slab. Here are two TrueViews I found for 27954857:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/27954857 - PCGS PR64+

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great research, zoins! Yes, this is the 2nd that I’ve owned. I wasn’t that attached to the first one and sold it way back when for I think $1.65M. To have the opportunity in this rip roaring market to get a coin a full point higher that both laura and JA love for a mere 10% more ….well, I just had to jump at the opportunity.

• Options

I do not think the Buss coin is 64+ but you can check what it currently is over in the Hansen registry set.

• Options

Here is the current condition census. I can say that I have closely examined in person the top 2 coins. I never really liked the toning on the 1st and while I loved the toning on the 2nd, it started life as a 64 due to several issues on the reverse.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Great research, zoins! Yes, this is the 2nd that I’ve owned. I wasn’t that attached to the first one and sold it way back when for I think $1.65M. To have the opportunity in this rip roaring market to get a coin a full point higher that both laura and JA love for a mere 10% more ….well, I just had to jump at the opportunity.

I'd like to just be able to afford the "mere 10% more". :D

P.S. Congrats to you. BTW, I love the coins I can afford.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very cool !

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really fantastic coin in terms of quality and eye appeal. Fits well to form the perfect big three with your Dexter 1804 Dollar and Eliasberg 1913 Nckel. Of course your 1794 dollar in specimen makes adds a solid fourth leg to your box of five. What's next? Can't wait to see.

• Options

Nice slab! I can’t figure out why Stack’s has a TrueView with a NGC slab in the lot description!

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 8:49AM

@tradedollarnut said:

This one looks stunning! Congrats!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut
    Congratulations. Wow to have held alone, much less to have owned the coins you held, must be a privlege very few in our hobby can or have obtained. Very jealous. I can no longer view your early dollar set as your link is 404'd. Do you have a digital album of your coins? If so, I would love to view them.
    Thanks for sharing the PCGS holders.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

what a great great coin.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    @tradedollarnut
    Congratulations. Wow to have held alone, much less to have owned the coins you held, must be a privlege very few in our hobby can or have obtained. Very jealous. I can no longer view your early dollar set as your link is 404'd. Do you have a digital album of your coins? If so, I would love to view them.
    Thanks for sharing the PCGS holders.
    Jim

Try this link to the sale:

https://legendauctions.hibid.com/catalog/233613/the-regency-auction-41/

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut
    Thanks, absolutely beautiful coins, absolutely.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2021 9:12PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    I do not think the Buss coin is 64+ but you can check what it currently is over in the Hansen registry set.

Thanks for the note. The Buss-Hansen coin is PCGS PR63 CAC.

It's great that you, @DLHansen, Rosenthal and Simpson all had these coins!

1894-S Barber Proof Dime - PCGS PR63BM CAC - Ex. Buss-Morgan-Hansen specimen

Stack's Provenance:
    5 - PCGS Branch Mint Proof-63. CAC. The Dr. Jerry Buss Specimen. Possibly discovered in a bag of change by a banker in Ukiah, California, 1894; elderly woman, presumably the banker's daughter, sold to the following for $2,750, along with one other example (the Lawrence-Simpson Specimen, see above); Earl Parker, prior to April 1949, the purchase was not disclosed until 1951, sold at an unknown time; James F. Kelly; Malcolm O.E. Chell-Frost; our (Stack's) F.S. Guggenheimer Collection sale, January 1953, lot 772, where it realized $2,100; Abner Kreisberg; Empire Coin Company; Abraham J. Kaufman; Joyce M. Kaufman; Kagin's Middle Atlantic Numismatic Association Sale/Sale of the '70s, November 1973, lot 1114, where it realized $52,000; offered by Montrose Coin Gallery, Montrose, California, for $75,000; Superior Galleries, 1978; Superior's sale of the Dr. Jerry Buss Collection, January 1985, lot 617, where it realized $50,600; Michelle Johnson, acting as agent for Robert Beamount; Superior's H.W. Blevins Estate and George Bodway Collection Sale, June 1988, lot 4510, where it realized $70,400; E. Horatio Morgan Collection. The present example.

Cross Reference: Johnson-12; Breen-7 and Unlisted; Stack's-6; Lawrence-6; Burd-5

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 9:37PM

So in this thread we have 5 of the 9 specimens so far. Only 4 more to add!

1. Eliasberg-Morelan specimen - PCGS PR65+
    2. Feigenbaum-Simpson specimen - PCGS PR66
    3. Eliasberg-Stack-Rosenthal specimen - PCGS PR66
    4. Gillespie-Morelan specimen - PCGS PR64+
    5. Buss-Morgan-Hansen specimen - PCGS PR63

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file