Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kettle Tokens . . . . British vs. "American" . . . . ?

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that most attention paid to the tokens struck by die sinker, button and buckle maker Henry Kettle are those imitating American coinage and American themed designs. That leaves Kettle's more British designs languishing in the shadows, mostly unknown and unloved.

Competition for his 1803 dated Turban Head Eagles is pretty intense. The lesser known, unsigned "Inseparable Friends . . . . to Elba" token is equally difficult to get.

However there doesn't seem to be much information or competition for some of Henry Kettle's British themed strikes. Is this a function of "national favoritism" perhaps? Are Kettle's British themed tokens more common and therefore, less desirable? Is there a catalog of these listing their rarity similar to the work by Rulau and Fuld?

The fact that the British Kettle's seem to be less desirable to my way of thinking is a function of their sale prices when they do come up for bid.

Anyway, I have been very fortunate to have secured a few items by this notable figure from coining history and thought I would share. I would be interested in seeing other British Kettle designs.

Z

Kettle's 1810 King George III 50th Anniversary token

Inseparable Friends #1

Inseparable Friends #2

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe because the old US coin designs look better? @coinsarefun probably knows a lot about these Kettle tokens.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as popularity anything with a US Coin likeness will always be more popular because that's what was used for gaming.
    And most was in California during the gold rush so the turban heads and Liberty heads would be super popular.
    Any one that collects this type of material will always want the "Inseparable friends" Because they know that Napoleon was always in a love hate relationship with the "world" and Kettle love poking fun at him
    Between what has been written in TAMS wayback by Rulau & Fuld
    And the book by Fauver which I've given links to along with a few operate guide books on the Turban heads in detail.
    I will rank this article written by Fred in 2020 as the most up to date since he got to hold and sell almost all the material and certainly some high end pieces.
    I won a few things on Stacks and when I get them I was going to post Fred Holabirds article and show a few things he mentions.

I think that and article written by Fred N. Holabird sums it up pretty well and accurate I would read this article 4 or 5 times and look and the different tokens he refers to......then it starts to make sense. Like @tokenpro said there just isn't much more written on these tokens, even though there is quite a bit.

Any token that is signed will always bring more money because it is undoubtedly attributed to the person. It took me a long time to find KETTLE on this token as its almost buried in the design. And Lauer tokens has a huge following too.

Example of Where's Waldo.........."KETTLE"......lol

I had to go back and dig through my original thread, There is a lot of info but kinda haphazardly posted by my as ai learned
    I hope I answered some of your questions @ZoidMeister but you should know by our pm's I can run on and on and on and
    .....well you know :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file