Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Speaking Of Trimmed

Might have shown these before back in the day but read over the recent discussion on cards coming back trimmed and thought of this small lot I purchased years ago. Can't remember what I paid (well under $10 for the lot) and I'm sure I found it only because I was searching for miscuts.

1909-11

Bottom edge

Top edge

Miscut 1968

And a 1928 Auth?

The Clemente to my untrained eyes I'm just not sure. I have other 1960's in decent shape and this seems to line up with them when overlayed on top of each other. There is a spot (marked with arrow) that looks like a possible bit of missing paper. I have a 30X illuminated microscope that I can see what looks like a tiny, tiny bit of paper folded over. All edges look like the same cut but what do I know?

The WIlhelm Bat being trimmed or not displays very nice in my opinion even with the blue booger on his nose. :D

Not familiar with Play Ball cards (don't collect that far back) so Is it possible the Heffner was just cut short?

And man those 52's, the color sure can POP on those.

Any opinions on the cards are welcome and maybe someone can help point out what I can't seem to see on the Clemente.

Comments

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top edge of the Clemente slopes downward from left corner to the right. Just slightly but still noticeable.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Now that you mention that, I can clearly see it especially on the back. The card might have a really small tilt to it as well but my eyes suck so I'm not sure.

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

When you look at the right edge of the T206, you can perfectly see the stark difference between a machine cut and a hand cut, due to varying articulation of the wrist along the whole length of the cut. Here's why. The machine maintains the same cutting angle of the blade, saw, or vibrating wire for the duration of the cut. Typically -0+, perfectly plumb; the cutting edge straight up and down.

When a human hand holds the cutting device, and draws the blade at a point away from the body, towards the body to execute the cut, with the human cutting mechanism of the elbow being drawn back, the forearm, the wrist, the hand can and does articulate with enough variation to produce that undulating, in and out cut you see on that right edge, which mirrors the subtle undulations while cutting. And as imperceptible as it may seem to the cutter, well; it's there and can be noticed, either being subtle, drastic, or in between like this one.

Add to that angle changes while undulating and now you have something even more obvious. The edge itself being cut with varying angles, the blade sometime plumb to the cut and varying in angles along the path of the cut.

And yes, these telemetry markers of a human cut are present even while using a straight edge. Even the most careful trimmers leave evidence of the human element on a trimmed edge.

• Options

Thank you Mo_Mentum for that very detailed response. Shame that someone felt the need to trim the T206 because otherwise (in my opinion) the image has great eye appeal and can't see how the edges/corners could have been so distracting to someone that they felt the need to give it a haircut.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone was testing their barber skills on some inexpensive cards. Obviously not to deceive as all edges aren’t trimmed. Let’s hope he didn’t perfect his craft.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Looks like someone was testing their barber skills on some inexpensive cards. Obviously not to deceive as all edges aren’t trimmed. Let’s hope he didn’t perfect his craft.

I'm trying to remember when I actually bought these but I'm thinking it was around 10-12 years ago so whoever did it has had plenty of time to try and get good at it. And hopefully they had enough fails that they decided to give up. But greed is mighty powerful for some.