Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Where to buy World Coins by the pound?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2021 9:09AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I need to buy an assortment of world coins for a Cub Scout meeting. Any recommendations where to buy? Needs to be fairly cheap but I don't want to get garbage either. If anyone could tell me roughly how many coins are likely to be in a pound, that would be helpful too.

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quality of bulk world can vary wildly. I expect 75-150 coins per lb. I think about 150 lincoln cents weighs a pound. I'd say bulk costs $5-$15/lb. When I've had extra coins, I usually charge $5-8/lb when I have world coins I need to get rid of.

A lot of local coin shops will have tubs of them they need to get rid of. I collect German coins, so I'm usually aware of the fact Ron Guth usually has bulk work coins for $8/lb (https://germancoins.com/coin/world-coins-bulk-lots/).

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealers with actual stores usually have plenty of foreign coins they would like to get rid of. Most will sell them by the pound. Let the dealer know they are for a Cub Scout project and he may give you a better price. Don't expect to find any silver as that will have been pulled out. Also, make sure they are a good mix and not loaded up with cheap coins of a single country.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send @lordmarcovan a message. He may have some.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Try board member @jdmern

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens