Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1935A $1 SC Experimentals

Released on June 20th 1944 and issued into circulation to test their durability, these 1935A $1 Silver Certificates with a bright red capital “R” (regular) and “S” (special) printed on the face, failed to deliver distinguishable results because of the lack of circulation. Rather than spending the notes and keeping them circulating, John Q Citizen evidently decided to retain these notes as curios. A total of 2,368,000 notes were printed which is less than 1% of the total 1935A $1 SCs printed. You often see these sold as pairs. Be aware of the serial number ranges because unscrupulous sellers have been known to take regular 1935A $1 S-C block notes and stamp them with a red R or S. Post your R & S Experimentals !

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadWithMoney said:
    I can't see paying so much for something so common.

Not an unusual opinion. Some feel the same way about the emergency issue Hawaiian $1 FRNs. I look at as supply and demand. Many want an example for their collection because of the uniqueness and eye appeal of the bold, ruby-red overprint that even non-collectors find interesting.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

I like the R, S & the Hawaiian emergency issues. I'm sure there will be many collectors out there who will feel the same. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Just one question: which seem to be tougher to acquire, the "R" or the "S" notes?

(Hope to see more posted here.)

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many experimental $1 Silver Certificates were printed, and most necessitate knowing the correct block and serial number range. (X-B, Y-B, Z-B and A-B, B-B and C-B) These don’t. Everyone, including non-collectors can tell these are both different and special. Even mid grade-examples are cool. As mentioned in my OP, these are often sold as pairs. My pair where bought as a single lot. There are slightly more “S” notes graded and prices are similar for both of them.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although you guys may consider these common, they must be much scarcer than Hawaii or North Africa notes in general. I've owned dozens of the later and only one or two of the former.

Those VFs look pretty nice to me. I guess that if you are used to seeing CUs, these don't look so great. In obsoletes, these kind of VFs are highly prized.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

"So they are pretty common, not 4 billion common but still pretty common, but there is a high demand that really drives up the price."
    -Don't get me started. You want to talk about common & high BV? Bank of Canada 1954 Devil Faces were printed in the tens of millions & the PMG pop reports show there's many, many, kicking around but their BV just keeps going up. Frustrates me as I bought so few when I could have bought some at fairly decent prices (but just thought they were too common). A few years ago you could buy sequential runs of $1 or $2 with the DF (they were issued for 2 years). Check out the high # below (similar to the "R" & "S"):

-so I would suspect it is world collector demand that keeps up the BV (as it is for these "Devil Faces") which just keep climbing year after year. It's not always about how tough a note is but as you point out- demand (&/or popularity) which drives up the price.

• Options

World collectors are into Canadian money? Wonder how the popularity ranking go worldwide?

It is tough for me to buy 1954 (Devil's Face), 1937 & 1935 at our Charlton catalogue prices (dated as soon as they hit the shelves). 1937 are plentiful in high grade but 1935's are pretty tough (especially in "Original" or "EPQ" in French or $2 & up denominations). Their colour schemes align with the UK (dropped in 1937), printed in both English & French & lasted a brief 2 years- so I can easily understand why the market remains "frothy" for these.

I think with the Devil's Face it is still a novelty item (what people saw in the original Karsh engraved portrait) has kept collectors keen for them. It was modified so fewer of the original (Devil's Face) versions exist & the notes do look a little better than their modified versions (IMO).

I think world appeal is for the young portrait versions of QEII notes in general. It is exceptionally strong for certain nations like P-17 50 Rupees 'SEX' note from Seychelles (similar notoriety as the BOC Devil's). They were printed for 5 years (so plenty) & they appear to be extremely popular. I've been wanting to get one for 3 years but have always been outbid. Sometimes they go for 3X BV. Same for QEII Rhodesia(s), Cyprus, EC & other colonial QEII versions.

But getting back to the 'R' & 'S' $1 notes- they're "test" or "experimental" and some world collectors are passionate about these type of notes. When you see bidding on these you maybe having world collectors in a bidding war. Some of these may be new collectors who don't care about the population reports.

• Options

Wouldn't surprise me either (but most people don't think they have to look that far!)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought that the R and S notes were cool but I have never bought any.

• Options

How about the gap note?