Home Q & A Forum

Canadian coin? Blank reverse. I don't know what coin it is

Some ridges still appear on edge. Slightly larger than a US dime. Google Lens says it looks like an 1185 Straights Settlement dime, but its missing lettering if so.

Tagged:

Comments

• 1885 not 1185

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a little hard to tell from the photos.
    The photo makes it appear to be high relief, it may have been a medal, button or replica for a necklace.
    Sometimes the lettering is removed from one side of a coin to make a love token.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess some type of decorative piece.

The boarder on the obverse indicates that there was no intention of adding a legend. There is no room and I don't think they would haphazardly add a couple words that would throw it out of balance. While I'm not an authority, I cannot recall any Small British Empire Victorian portrait coin without a motto or date. Even the quarter farthing has one.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • The size is 18 mm. I am wondering if it was a coin struck on the wrong planchet.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redcrossmom said:
    The size is 18 mm. I am wondering if it was a coin struck on the wrong planchet.

No.

Note the beaded boarder at the rim. Whatever purpose it was struck for, the die was designed to be that size

Member of the ANA since 1982

You have 2 responses here that say about the same thing.

"it may have been a medal, button or replica for a necklace." & "some type of decorative piece."

Fair chance that is what you have but you may get more information if you post it on the World Coin forum. ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

definitely NOT Canadian

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • @ifthevamzarockin said:
    You have 2 responses here that say about the same thing.

"it may have been a medal, button or replica for a necklace." & "some type of decorative piece."

Fair chance that is what you have but you may get more information if you post it on the World Coin forum. ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

Thank you so much. I might be a love token, I have now seen samples of those. This one though doesn't even have any words on obverse, and the love tokens do. I will take your advice and post it to the world forum. Thank you again for the help.

Sometimes they intended to make a love token but never got around to engraving it. ;)