Home Sports Talk
Options

Cam Newton released from Patriots

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOSTON (CBS) — The Cam Newton era is over in New England. The Patriots released the veteran quarterback on Tuesday, when teams were required to trim their rosters to 53 players.

The news indicates that rookie quarterback Mac Jones has won the starting QB job in New England.

Newton posted to Instagram after the news broke, telling his supporters that he is not in need of sympathy.

“I really appreciate the love and support during this time but I must say … please don’t feel sorry for me!! I’m good,” Newton said with a winking emoji.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you got to be kidding me.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

News said the Jones QB Jersey already sold out

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    News said the Jones QB Jersey already sold out

Not surprised at all, his best rookie card should be a hot item as well

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

how in the world are you supposed to take someone with that hairdo seriously?

I mean really.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 11:40AM

I was actually a bit surprised when I read that - well, maybe not, I'm guessing Belichick didn't like Cam giving Jones the nickname "Mac and Cheese" :D ............. should be interesting to see how well Jones does playing against 1st string defenses

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    how in the world are you supposed to take someone with that hairdo seriously?

I mean really.

you hair don’t. 😉

• Options

The rookie Jones was teaching Newton the playbook..... Nuff said.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

why is there so much drama surrounding this release??

it almost seems that the Patriots are mounting a disinformation campaign to malign Newton in order to protect the decision to release him. former player Rob Ninkovich posts comments stating that Jones had to help Newton with the playbook while McDaniels and Belichick question his skills and work ethic.

here's my question: if Belichick is this guru mastermind and talent evaluator, how did Cam Newton end up in a New England Patriots uniform to begin with?? Belichick has difficulty with the truth and accepting blame. either he mis-judged Newton prior to bringing him to New England(when it comes to Football, Kraft couldn't pick his nose without Bill's input) or he decided starting Mac Jones now with Hoyer as a backup is best for the Team. it can't be both things and there's really no reason to disparage Cam Newton, that's sort of small.

this is all sort of reminiscent of the way Kapernick was black-balled by the NFL, though for different reasons.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Belichick has gone out of his way, since the beginning of last season, to protect Newton and shield him from criticism.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

it almost seems that the Patriots are mounting a disinformation campaign to malign Newton in order to protect the decision to release him. former player Rob Ninkovich posts comments stating that Jones had to help Newton with the playbook while McDaniels and Belichick question his skills and work ethic.

here's my question: if Belichick is this guru mastermind and talent evaluator, how did Cam Newton end up in a New England Patriots uniform to begin with?? Belichick has difficulty with the truth and accepting blame. either he mis-judged Newton prior to bringing him to New England(when it comes to Football, Kraft couldn't pick his nose without Bill's input) or he decided starting Mac Jones now with Hoyer as a backup is best for the Team. it can't be both things and there's really no reason to disparage Cam Newton, that's sort of small.

this is all sort of reminiscent of the way Kapernick was black-balled by the NFL, though for different reasons.

The Patriots spent all their money in a win now mode. Brady saw the handwriting and bolted when he realized they had zero money to spend and limited talent. BB had $1M to spend on a QB and Cam was willing to revive his career. Didn’t quite work out for either. BTW, Bill still isn’t spending any money on a QB as Jones is on his rookie contract. The Patriots spent $123 M in free agency so I think Mr Kraft is going to need to see results and quickly.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    The rookie Jones was teaching Newton the playbook..... Nuff said.

@keets said:

I'll say it and know why! It's drama because of Race in the world today. It draws people into news. It's really all we ever hear about in daily life.
    Now, I'm not saying Newton didn't have an arm or physical skills. But to be honest.... Him and Kaepernick wasn't that good to begin with. If anything, one good season each. Other than that.... They'd be 3rd string Qb's back in the day. ... Or probably wouldn't have made it at all. Truth is hurtful sometimes, but yes.... This whole drama is focused on race. Jones deserved the position. As much as it hurts me to say being a falcon fan all my life .... The Patriots made the right move for the team .

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Him and Kaepernick wasn't that good to begin with.

I really haven't formed an opinion on Newton, but Kapernick's problems didn't seem to me to be the result of lack of skill or "diminishing" skill. it stemmed from the turmoil with the franchise, changes with GM's and HC's, culminating in the "kneeling" and NFL black-balling.

as a Cleveland Browns loyalist I am all too familiar with how the side-shows can be harmful to the product on the field and how stability improves player performance. consider this: as Cleveland has improved in the last couple of years there has been a noticeable reduction in Front Office moves and off-the-field incidents. I read a few Sports Outlets every day and can sometimes go a week or more without reading ANYTHING about the Browns. Head Coach Kevin Stefanski has changed all that, for how long is anybody's guess, but the change is real.

for the last three years of Kyle Kapernick's career there was a revolving door of GM's, Head Coaches and schemes. geez, when we thought he was kneeling over "racial injustice" he was probably praying to be traded!!! :po:)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought Kapernick was lacking in skill. He seemed a Lamar Jackson type before Lamar was thought of.

Kap had other problems that led to his current situation...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2021 8:59AM

@keets said:

Where did you see McDaniels or Belichick question his skills or work ethic? Rob Ninkovich did put that Mac helping Cam with the playbook comment out there but McDaniels & Belichick never said anything like you're alluding too,in fact they've said the exact opposite about Cam.
    McDaniels: https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/05/josh-mcdaniels-reflects-upon-patriots-cutting-cam-newton/
    Belichick: https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/patriots/bill-belichick-discusses-cam-newton-being-released

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Mac Jones in a cam newton play 60 commercial.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.