Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice needed- eBay return situation

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received a message from the buyer of this eBay listing that ended on 7/11:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265218704089

"Is it possible to return this item? I have shown it to 3 coin dealers and all 3 said it is not the regular 1972 double die, which i thought it was. Please let me know, (name withheld)"

My stated return policy is 14 days, and I specified it was die 2 in both the listing title and the item description.

My questions are:

1. Am I required to accept the return despite it being outside the return period and the buyer's mistake?
  2. What ramifications are there in addition to the negative feedback if I don't accept the return?

Any suggesions would be appreciated. I normally say 'sure no problem' but haven't had one this far outside the return period and from a buyer mistake as well... I really don't want to accept the return since I'll be stuck with the fees.

Thanks in advance!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing Ebay's stance on seller vs buyer, I would bet you would lose regardless of time period. Although, it is not right, I believe I would just ask Ebay with a phone call before making a decision. You would probably have Paypal to deal with also on a refusal. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully it wasn't paid for by a paypal transaction - I can't remember when eBay stopped that. But, like stated, definitely call eBay and explain the situation - I thought you had a 30 day window to return items through eBay policy but I may be wrong.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refuse the return.
    Ebay should side with you because of the time that has passed.
    Ebay will remove any less than favorable feedback.

• Options
    1peter12231peter1223 Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 1:08PM

I would refuse the return . It has been over 1-1/2 months.

I think you should win this case since it has been a pretty long time and coin is in an Ebay accepted grading companies holder .

Keep in mind the buyers next step might be to open up a SNAD complaint . In that case it might not go your way .

1.5 months after the transaction is pretty abusive IMO .

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it was paid with a credit card, the return window opens up to at least 90 days

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 1:13PM

@Steven59 said:
    Hopefully it wasn't paid for by a paypal transaction - I can't remember when eBay stopped that. But, like stated, definitely call eBay and explain the situation - I thought you had a 30 day window to return items through eBay policy but I may be wrong.

1. You can still pay using PayPal.
    2. A credit card payment whether through PayPal or Managed Payments includes charge back options.
    3. Some credit cards have 180 day return windows.

To the OP. Just accept the return.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would message the buyer stating that while you strive for customer satisfaction, you won't accept the return because the coin was correctly represented in the listing, it was an auction, and the return window closed several weeks ago. If he/she won't accept that answer, then you'll have to decide whether it's less of a hassle to make your case to eBay or simply accept the return and block the buyer. Relisting the coin would be trivial.

• Options

I have had something like this happen a couple of times over the years.
    Good chance if you send them a nice reply telling them no, you will never hear another word about it.
    The buyer knows they are past the return window and they have admitted it was their mistake.
    They will not want to appear dumber than they already do. ;)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Almost certainly, this is the best option. eBay is known to ignore a seller's terms when a buyer has a complaint. The longer and more drawn out the deal, the likelier it is something will happen and you'll be out the money and the coin. Better to just get it back and relist it.

• Options

On 2nd thought after going over the listing again , i think he might open up a SNAD complaint . He will claim he did not understand the FS numbering and only saw the wording Double Die Obverse .

jmlanzaf , is right . Better off accepting the return .

I am pretty sure he already knows he has a way to make you take back the coin . That's why he is asking 1 month after your return privilege is over .
    He is likely being nice about it now hoping to do it the easy way ( and not have you block him from future sales ) , but knows he has the SNAD card he can deal you .

• Options

@1peter1223
    "He will claim he did not understand the FS numbering and only saw the wording Double Die Obverse ."

"he already knows he has a way to make you take back the coin"

"knows he has the SNAD card he can deal you ."

What brand of crystal ball are you using? Mine broke and I am thinking about getting another one. ;)

• Options
    edited August 31, 2021 1:42PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

What brand of crystal ball are you using? Mine broke and I am thinking about getting another one. ;)

Years of Ebay experience .

If he ( or she ) does open up a SNAD , they have to state what was "not as described" .
    They have to claim something .

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Steven59 said:

1. You can still pay using PayPal.
    2. A credit card payment whether through PayPal or Managed Payments includes charge back options.
    3. Some credit cards have 180 day return windows.

Well sounds like they got you coming and going - seems like accepting the return, as stated, is indeed the best option - just get it over with and remember to block the buyer. :#

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    The buyer knows they are past the return window and they have admitted it was their mistake.

It's eBay. There is no return window.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Based on my past experiences, Ebay will support you if it's after 30 days, especially with the facts as presented. Whether you want to deal with the hassle or just accept the return is up to you.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options

@Aercus said:
    Based on my past experiences, Ebay will support you if it's after 30 days, especially with the facts as presented.

Based on my experience, they won't.

Good luck to the OP.

• Options

Everyone keeps saying "IF he paid with a credit card"

What if he didn't pay with a credit card?

What if he already contacted ebay and they said "sorry, too bad"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the return and just move on. It is just the way it works on eBay. The buyer may have tried and failed to flip it but worrying about such a thing will do you no good.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

It's eBay. There is no return window.

It's really the credit card chargw back window that matters. If you file through your CC, the first thing ebay and PayPal do is get out of the way.

Unless it's bullion and dropped significantly, return of an item is such a small inconvenience that I don't know why anyone fights it.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2021 2:08PM

@jmlanzaf said:

It's really the credit card chargw back window that matters. If you file through your CC, the first thing ebay and PayPal do is get out of the way.

Correct , that's what the PayPal rep told me last SNAD i had filed against me .

Initially buyer filed the complaint with Ebay .
    Ebay refused to ok the return and closed the buyers complaint . Ebay ruled in my favor .
    Then the buyer went directly to their CC company and filed a return .
    PayPal said they were sorry but had no choice but to side with buyer , since their CC company said it was ok to return .

What matters is the CC companies terms . Not ebay or PayPal .

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bearing in mind that the buyer can always open a SNAD (in which case you may be forced to take the return, though I'd still fight it), I'd send a polite refusal first with an explanation and see what the buyer does. If they're reasonable and realize they erred, then it could go away. If they escalate, to a large degree the worst that can happen is you have to take the return anyway. Here's what I'd say:

"Hi,

Unfortunately I am unable to accept a return at this time. I do accept returns within 14 days of delivery; that window closed at the end of July. I would like to note that the coin was properly described as the FS-102/DDO-002 variety, which is listed in the title and description, and shown in the photograph of the slab. The doubling is shown in the large photograph of the obverse of the coin.

Thank you,

cmerlo1"

You could also tell him you'd buy all the regular doubled dies in MS65RD he can find at twice his high bid, but that probably won't help you.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for all the replies! It looks like most of them were pretty much 'just accept the return', and that's what I decided to do (though if I'd seen @airplanenut 's comment before contacting the buyer I might have reconsidered). I also found that he hadn't left me feedback on the coin yet, so I also considered the time I would spend trying to get it removed if he went that route. I didn't let him off the hook easily, though, but remained professional:

Hi xxx-

There are multiple doubled die obverses for 1972. The 'regular one' you refer to is attributed by CONECA as DDO-001 and in the Cherrypicker's Guide as FS-101.

It was stated in the listing title, listing description, and on the ANACS holder that your coin is an example of DDO-002, so there was no error in the listing and the coin was properly represented.

Also, I have a stated 14-day return policy and you're requesting this return well outside of that. There's also a 30-day window that eBay can apply, and this request is well outside that window also.

I will, however, accept your return request, provided you initiate it within eBay and return the exact coin you purchased from me to me at your expense, per my return policy.

--Christian

I'm also blocking him.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 6:21PM

@MasonG said:

@Aercus said:
    Based on my past experiences, Ebay will support you if it's after 30 days, especially with the facts as presented.

Based on my experience, they won't.

Good luck to the OP.

I thought after 30 days you can’t find the return link on eBay any more. I bought a raw coin and I sent to PCGS to grade. PCGS stated as counterfeit so I email the seller. I did not get a reply. I tried to open a claim on eBay can’t do it so I filed with my card. You know the answer already. I got my money back. It possibly over three months when I filed with my card. You know how slow is PCGS to grade.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accept the return and block.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file