Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Favorite Childhood Team And Homemade cards!

I'm not sure how many guys here "adopted" a team or two when they were kids that they just rooted for that wasn't from their hometown. For me, it was the Montreal Expos. Just about everybody my Dad knew--even my Dad--would say things like "They're from Canada!" or "They're not even American." Ironically, I went to a double-header in 1977 on the fourth of July in Chicago. My favorite player would be born that day. I fell in love with Andre Dawson. He hit a homer and drove in a bunch of runs. Larry Biittner actually PITCHED that day for the Cubs. The Expos won 19-3 and also won the second game. I was hooked on the Expos.
My Dad took me to see them again in September. Dawson had a couple more hits and scored a couple of runs. Tony Perez looked weird in the Expos uniform, but I'll never forget him rounding third on a groundball single to left by Gary Carter to score. I couldn't believe how powerful and huge he looked.
I also liked the Houston Astros. The combination of those unusual uniforms, speed and Cesar Cedeno made them irresistible to me.
Anyway, as many know, I create Banty Red brand baseball cards from my original black and white 35mm and 120mm negatives.
I purchased a large group of BW spring training negatives from 1978 about 4 years ago. I finally got around to creating some Expos cards. I wish I could find a nice Dave Cash and Steve Rogers negative, but they were not in the group.

I'd be interested to hear about your favorite teams from childhood (not hometown teams) that somehow turned you on to baseball!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are really nice! As a Gary Carter collector I absolutely love the card you did for the Kid.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Thank you! I loved Carter. This team just makes me happy. The crappier adult life gets, the better these memories become, Lol

I'm interested to know what teams folks liked and why. Doesn't look there's too much interest though 🤔

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Cards...
    I do remember Biittner making that relief appearance for the Chubs.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate homemade cards and most of them are as horrible as the people that create them! That being said, I honestly like and enjoy the ones that I've seen you do and I can't explain why. I want to hate them.... I just can't, lol.

The ones above are very nice looking. The photos, the background colors and of course the 52 design.

Thanks for sharing!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    Thank you! I loved Carter. This team just makes me happy. The crappier adult life gets, the better these memories become, Lol

I'm interested to know what teams folks liked and why. Doesn't look there's too much interest though 🤔

Since you were fishing for "favorite team" stories...
    I started playing baseball as a little kid, like tons of kids I had a ball and bat and glove pretty early on. In first grade I started playing little league, and only gradually became aware that adults played this game and got attention for it. We went to a couple of local minor league games, but everything changed in 1986. A friend's mom bought me my first pack of baseball cards (what are these? Cardboard pictures of baseball players? Wow!) and my grandparents took me on a road trip to go see my first big league game. Since we are in Oklahoma, my first game was a home game for the Kansas City Royals. This was 1986. KC was fresh off of its first World Series win, and the nucleus of the team was still intact. Brett, Quiz, Saberhagen, Balboni, Wilson, all of the Royal greats from 1985 were still there. We went to a game where the opponent was the Cleveland Indians, whose new stud was a young guy named Cory Snyder. Seeing that stadium for the first time was awe inspiring for a little kid. Mid-1980s Royals Stadium was still in its original incarnation, with fountains across every stretch of the outfield. It had astroturf but it was still beautiful. The Royals, in their white home jerseys with the bright blue "Royals" across the middle, big blue numbers on the back...it was just perfect. I don't remember the score, I don't remember who won. But I was hooked. Brett was my guy, the Royals were my team. Coming back from that trip, I remember talking baseball with my buddies. I had actually been to a big league game! And I had a guy. And a team. It made collecting more fun, it made reading box scores an adventure, and it established my love for the game. Even through the decades of mediocrity, they are still my team.
    kevin

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Kevin,
    I love it! Kansas City had an amazing ballpark in that era. It's amazing how the uniforms impact us, isn't it? Those impossibly white poly-knits with the simple blue trim. Yes, I am fishing for stories.
    At this stage of my life, it's what I enjoy most.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Phil