Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Have Russians stepped up coin buying?

A la China (but not as heavy)
It's very very hard to find nice Russian portrait Rubles.
Seems to be for past year or so/

Used to be lots of Katherine Rubles in the past. Not so now, it seems.

???

Nor Peters or Annas either.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would not surprise me if they have stepped their buying.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will buy the better stuff is you will sell for less than half of previous highs. I think the market will rebound if the value of the Ruble ever does. During the high's the Ruble was around 23 to the dollar.

• Options
    4BR4BR Posts: 13

Yes, I noticed the sharp increased demand for early Romanov rubles as well, especially mint state and those gold five and ten ruble pieces. I think global demand is driving the prices up, they are very rare coins, from an incredible era and more collectors are discovering that.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@4BR said:
    Yes, I noticed the sharp increased demand for early Romanov rubles as well, especially mint state and those gold five and ten ruble pieces. I think global demand is driving the prices up, they are very rare coins, from an incredible era and more collectors are discovering that.

I agree with you about the high demand. Big rare silver and gold in mint state is the most popular area in Russia collecting. They don't really have a strong collecting culture for low grade varieties like early coppers or bust half collecting in the USA. But while they're in high demand, they're generally not rare unless very high condition. Even semi-key dates are common in gem unc. NGC has certified hundreds of thousands mint state Nick II gold. They're some of the most certified coins in the world, like 1924 double eagles. And of course, like many Russian coins, some were and still are restruck with original dies, there are lots of deceptive fakes, and the grading services don't consistently make the right call. Then there's the market distortion because it's supposed to be illegal to export OR import historical coins from Russia, so there's some difference in availability and price inside and outside the country. It's a sharky corner of the hobby.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    They will buy the better stuff is you will sell for less than half of previous highs. I think the market will rebound if the value of the Ruble ever does. During the high's the Ruble was around 23 to the dollar.

IMHO, having scrolled through your Russian coins reposted every week or month for years, most of your coins are not priced anywhere close to current market value. Eventually, maybe the currency will change to your favor, or maybe the market will change, but right now, I think the obvious problem is that you're multiples too high of the current state of the market. You can check for what things sell for through paid services, which I imagine every dealer has, or through this more specific website - https://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/

All your nice Russian coins would sell fast if they were priced close to market

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the resource, @tcollects

:)

• Options

Frankly I don't care! They don't eat nothing and my Russian wife and I collected Russian coins together. We decided it's not worth selling them at current pricing. I find it funny, I never see any Russian at the shows we frequent worth buying at the levels folks like you want to buy them for! They have a happy home unless someone wants them more than we do! :#

@tcollects said:

@amwldcoin said:

IMHO, having scrolled through your Russian coins reposted every week or month for years, most of your coins are not priced anywhere close to current market value. Eventually, maybe the currency will change to your favor, or maybe the market will change, but right now, I think the obvious problem is that you're multiples too high of the current state of the market. You can check for what things sell for through paid services, which I imagine every dealer has, or through this more specific website - https://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Frankly I don't care! They don't eat nothing and my Russian wife and I collected Russian coins together. We decided it's not worth selling them at current pricing. I find it funny, I never see any Russian at the shows we frequent worth buying at the levels folks like you want to buy them for! They have a happy home unless someone wants them more than we do! :#

@tcollects said:

@amwldcoin said:

Lots of stuff sells at market price every day. Sounds like you're a collector, but to illustrate to the op how sharky this field is... remember when you you got duped with that supposedly original 1764 polushka straight graded by NGC? Pepperidge Farm remembers. I'm glad they made it right, but you were convinced till the end you had something special, when you really bought a modern fake, not even an old novodel. Be careful out there y'all.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time to buy and collect Russian was back in the early 1990s, the USSR had collapsed but no one in Russia had disposable income yet. It was possible to buy stuff on the cheap. Of course the export laws on stuff like 50 years or older were around but so were the ways around the law. Coin collecting in the USSR was likely illegal, not often prosecuted, but you kind of kept it under wraps just in case. I had seen Nikolai II 5 Rubles, Ekaterina silver and bronze etc. Some of it snuck out of Russia.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@tcollects said:

@amwldcoin said:

@tcollects said:

@amwldcoin said:

Lots of stuff sells at market price every day. Sounds like you're a collector, but to illustrate to the op how sharky this field is... remember when you you got duped with that supposedly original 1764 polushka straight graded by NGC? Pepperidge Farm remembers. I'm glad they made it right, but you were convinced till the end you had something special, when you really bought a modern fake, not even an old novodel. Be careful out there y'all.

No ill will intended, but I do find it hilarious that you don't have a response to the fake polushka thing. Such an expert, knows the market better than all of eBay, except that one time.

• Options

Are you taunting me? We went through all this before. Why don't you find and link the conversation??? I did the deal with the guarantee it would grade. It graded so I was happy. NGC actually saw the coin 2 times as I had it reholdered in an edge view holder. This was because a buyer in Russia would not buy the coin unless he could see the edge. That deal never happened because the market crashed in the meantime. He would not of made this request if it was an obvious counterfeit as you claim! How many 1764 Polushka's have you seen? The coin matches the plate coin from my 1919 Reprint book with pictures of the collection in the Hermitage museum in Russia. And BTW! I never claimed and am not an expert!

• Options

okay, okay, fine, I'll leave you alone, sorry

I might have be taunting you a little because it's mildly infuriating to have to spend at least 2 seconds per week scrolling through your coins in my search, but when I write it out like that, it's obviously a problem with me not you, a couple seconds a week is not a big imposition. Perhaps my fury reveals underlying fears or other emotions that make me uncomfortable. We can explore this together cathartically.

(BTW, not trying to restart our old man slappy coin fight, but asking to look at the edge is what collectors do if the coin's authenticity is not obvious or is otherwise suspect , not the other way around, and that deal didn't happen because there are are no original 1764 originals. Your coin was instantly recognizable as incorrect, yet an interesting error by NGC to certify a historically unknown coin. It sparked mild amusement half way around the world that a collector in Georgia of all places had this object. Novodels with the big die crack come up a few times a year, they're common by novodel standards. By asking for edge images, they were probably just getting more amusing fodder to show more fake Russian coins in NGC and PCGS plastic, a popular distraction on the Russian forums.)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the OP question, attend the next Balt./Whitman show. There are usually
    several Russian speaking collectors there buying some really nice coins from Russia.
    I'm not sure if they flew in for the show from Russia or are current residents, but they
    are there doing some major buying.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to do something with all the extortion money they are getting for software ransom!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can add is the Russian platinum rubles more than doubled in price in the last two years. While the worlds only circulating platinum coinage is cool, i thought they were pricey before.

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Russia is the only country I have visited where I saw a collectible coin vending machine. It even had Ike dollars and Churchill crowns, along with completed albums of circulating Russian commemoratives. There is obviously a strong collector base there, and rising oil prices can’t be hurting their purchasing power.