Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1923 German Banknotes

Found these German banknotes to be so interesting. Such high denominations. I did a little research and found some interesting pieces of history that I did not know previous. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z9y64j6/revision/5#:~:text=The Weimar government's main crisis,included occupation, hyperinflation and rebellions.

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, an interesting and affordable collection.

I think that at it's worst, $4.2 trillion marks was equal to one dollar.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • @sellitstore said:
    Yes, an interesting and affordable collection.

I think that at it's worst, $4.2 trillion marks was equal to one dollar.

Oh wow!! Truly hyper-inflated!

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

@BadWithMoney said:
    This wasn't just about money printing. After they started having issues with not being able to repay their WW1 debt they responded with more money printing and a general strike. Everyone stopped working.

-Yes, a bad time for Germany, which became a half decade of horror for the rest of the world in the form of WW2. Hyperinflation is ugly for any nation (Hungary, Croatia, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, etc). These notes, which people need by the wheelbarrow-load to buy any commodity, typically become ugly. The German hyperinflation become over burdened with text at the expense of design. I'm surprised anyone collects them but they do.

I really like the period before WW1 & all this occurred:

Not the most artful designs but at least some contrasting colours.

• Back in the days of Fraktur