Home Q & A Forum
Options

What do you think this is, cud or rim damage.

Best Answer

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think the rim area is a lamination that took a hit. What I see is a small dent with some displaced metal. Not seeing anything that looks like a chipped die in that area of the rim (cud)

Member of the ANA since 1982

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lamination to me.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Well it is a lamination for sure, from rim to rim. But at the bottom of the bust there is a ?. Cud or rim damage.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lamination issue. The spot at the bottom of the bust is just another part of the lamination.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to tell but I'm going to say the rim took a hit and pushed it onto the surface of the cent and also over a lamination

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I think it's a cud. I see there is a blank spot between the rim and the cud maybe the die didn't brake away at that point I'm not sure. But to me it's a cud there is no rim damage, there is no edge damage, the lamination makes it tough to see but the lack of damage tells me it's a cud. Agree or disagree. What's your opinion.

• Options

Here is a rim cud.... it should be raised. ;)

• Options

There is a lamination (de-lamination) across the entire bust.
    As mentioned by Steven the rim may have taken a hit directly on the lamination.
    Your coin clearly has a planchet problem but that is different than a die problem.

• Options

I get your point, I don't know what to say about it. I am an aero space machinist the finest gages I have can not get under that ittle mass of metal. Also looking at the rim on both sides of the cud / damage you can see it flows into the body of the planchet. I appreciate you looking and thx for you opinion. I'll take them all for consideration.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2021 4:09PM

"maybe the die didn't brake away"

That is exactly what a cud is, when part of the die breaks away.
    If it has not broke away yet it is a die crack.
    There is no such thing as a cud that the die didn't break away. ;)

Edited to correct myself:
    A retained cud is one that didn't break away yet but that only confuses the point I was trying to make.
    It's not a cud. ;)

• Options

Yes I understand I am saying just in the little open area that little peace didn't quite fall away when the break occurred.

• Options

I understand what you are saying but your perception of the minting process and the actual minting process are 2 different things. I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to help you understand. Kind of a cud is like being Kind of pregnant, either it is a cud or not and either pregnant or not..... Kind of doesn't fit in the equation.

• Options

Ok, I appreciate your help, im trying to learn and thank you for your patience. So please tell me what you think this is. Again I didn't see any rim, edge damage and there is a lump of meatal under the bust.

• Options

Here's a good page that shows you different anomalies that can happen to lincoln cents including cuds...........

http://lincolncentsonline.com/cuds.html

• Options

There may have been a small ragged edge of the lamination that was sticking up and was pushed back down either at the time of minting or after it left the mint. This is not the best example but it is the only thing I have a photo of. Now think if this was pushed back down somehow by something.

• Options

It is clear your coin has circulation, we would have need to see it when it was uncirculated to tell more.

• Options

And usually if it was a true cud there would be a weakness in the details of the coin on the opposite side of the cud.

• Options

Sorry, I was checking out the link to the cud site. Thx for that, very informative. Ok so thanks everyone for your input, I is clear that there is some kind of damage there and I have a few different examples from all y'all. Maybe I'll have it looked at some day and get this all figured out. Thx again everyone for your solid input.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like rim damage to me. Could be wrong. Some of the pictures were not clear enough for me to see any thing but possible rim damage.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members