Home Sports Talk
Options

Trent Dilfer in hot water

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trent Dilfer, the ex-NFL quarterback that led the Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl win, is now the coach of a high school football team and he's in hot water for shoving and yelling at one of his players, roll the footage!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea what happened but I’m sure the kid punked him off, but the bottom line is Dilfer is an idiot for getting that emotional at that level. Outside of NFL or College there is no need to get extremely fired up over anything involving High School sports. If I’m a High School coach and a kid is that much of a punk he just won’t play and I would just smile and say “Enjoy the sidelines”

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

completely agree with perk. totally unacceptable at the high school level.

I will tell you, if any staff at a school i send my kids to handled my child that way, there would be a significant tussle with me directly after.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with tough coaching, but the reality is that you can't put your hands on a kid. Unless there was an incident preceding this one where that kid was attacking another, and the coach was removing him, there is no excuse. Dilfer could have still told the kid to sit down, etc without touching him.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    completely agree with perk. totally unacceptable at the high school level.

I will tell you, if any staff at a school i send my kids to handled my child that way, there would be a significant tussle with me directly after.

100000000% agreed

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dilfer, aka "The Idiot" should be fired immediately. What he did in the video could easily be considered a Class A misdemeanor in the state of Tennessee. He released the following statement: source MSN.

I want to address the incident on our sideline during Friday night’s game vs. Independence that has drawn a lot of attention. First and foremost, I take full responsibility as the head coach and leader of our team for not de-escalating an emotional situation with one of our players, Beau Dawson. Beau is one of our finest student-athletes and embodies all the characteristics we are looking for in our Mustang players. Beau plays the game with the right kind of passion and is an inspiration to our other players.

During a moment of frustration in an attempt to get our team to play with more discipline, I unfairly singled Beau out. Somehow Beau Dawson has been portrayed publicly as the culprit in this situation, when in reality I should have been a better leader and shown greater wisdom and discernment in how I handled this incident. Overall, I could not be more proud of Beau and the rest of our team for how they handle the emotional nature of each game they compete in.

This is an obvious attempt at damage control. What exactly was the player supposed to do if he complied with "The Idiot's" screaming command to "get down now". Give him 50 pushups, like some military punishment? If the player is proven to have acted in a disrespectful manner, I wholeheartedly agree he should have been benched, as cited above. In my day, we never gave lip, we did our best and when we missed a play badly enough, you'd get a couple of laps around the ball field.

The Idiot is on a massive ego trip, and thinks screaming at players is a way to instill knowledge and correction. This is long time proven method of doing nothing but instilling fear and poor play. The Idiot should be fired for shoving the player and following him down the sidelines to invoke more fear and demanding him to "get down now". If The Idiot is retained, he should be made to attend anger management, and publicly apologize to the player and to his teammates, and the local community.

No room in High School football for coaches with this kind of attitude.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

jeeze. my coach did that to someone on our team almost every game/practice. and i had a car phone in high school. with minutes & roaming charges of course. but still.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a player yell at Bill Belichick that way, yeah, Bill Belichick, more like Dirty freakin' Harry.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'd like to see a player yell at Bill Belichick that way, yeah, Bill Belichick, more like Dirty freakin' Harry.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 6:29PM

I saw a high school football coach (Ex- L.A. Ram kicker) shove a helmet into a kid's gut because the kid was slacking on wind sprints. The kid's Dad showed up at practice the next day and thanked the coach. The Dad said something about, " That's what it takes to make a man out of these boys." Oh, my......how times have changed.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I saw a high school football coach (Ex- L.A. Ram kicker) shove a helmet into a kid's gut because the kid was slacking on wind sprints. The kid's Dad showed up at practice the next day and thanked the coach. The Dad said something about, " That's what it takes to make a man out of these boys." Oh, my......how times have changed.

I can say with 100% certainty that if I had a child and anyone put their hands on him or her I would need to be ripped off said person. This goes for my nieces as well. Discipline is great and I’m all for it but if you are not a parent you keep your hands off a child. There is no debating this

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

"Trent Dilfer, the ex-NFL quarterback that led the Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl win"
    I have to disagree - the defense led them to the win, Trent Dilfer was just along for the ride.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I coached high school football for a couple years and can't even fathom doing that to a kid. Only time you should be putting hands on a kid is to teach technique. I think the strongest thing I ever did to a kid was hold their facemask and even that was rare and never forceful in any way. I wasn't afraid to yell at a kid, of course. Heck, we banned profanity of any kind from our field.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    I coached high school football for a couple years and can't even fathom doing that to a kid. Only time you should be putting hands on a kid is to teach technique. I think the strongest thing I ever did to a kid was hold their facemask and even that was rare and never forceful in any way. I wasn't afraid to yell at a kid, of course. Heck, we banned profanity of any kind from our field.

I’m totally ok with grabbing a face mask to sternly speak to a player. Nothing wrong with that really, I mean most adults know where the line is

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

I’m totally ok with grabbing a face mask to sternly speak to a player. Nothing wrong with that really, I mean most adults know where the line is

I would never yank a facemask or pull a kid by it or anything like that. The rare occasions I did it would have been a "you need to be looking at me" kind of thing. I think most parents would be OK with being more forceful than I was but I never wanted to even get close to the line let alone cross it.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

I would never yank a facemask or pull a kid by it or anything like that. The rare occasions I did it would have been a "you need to be looking at me" kind of thing. I think most parents would be OK with being more forceful than I was but I never wanted to even get close to the line let alone cross it.

I know exactly what your talking about and that’s what I’m agreeing with.