Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PVC on Canadian Proof-like sets?

Hi there, I just got in the mail today 1964 and 1967 Canadian proof-like sets. However, it seems like all the silver coins in the 1967 set seem to be clouded by a greyish, almost greenish tint. I would just like to hear thoughts on whether this could be PVC damage or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice at the hobby :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt it is "PVC damage" since that plastic is not PVC. Often times, in these older sets the coins get cloudy from poor storage (maybe a very hot location) over the years. Perhaps the plastic film is not 100% archival or is semi-permiable to the atmosphere.

I THINK that film can be removed with MS70 cleaner but obviously you would need to remove the coins from the plastic. And the MS70 might alter the color of the cent, so it is risky.

Your best bet is to enjoy the set as it is, and if it bothers you, sell it and buy a nicer replacement. 1967 sets are very common.

• Options
    QuezlQuezl Posts: 14 ✭✭

Phew! Thank you pruebas.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not pvc.

thefinn
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, not PVC. Those sets are not 100% air tight thus they are susceptible to toning especially when improperly stored (basement or attic).

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not PVC. Poorly stored for many years.

All glory is fleeting.