Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First 20 cards for Topps 1952-1962

Which Topps set over this ten year period has the most difficult first twenty (1-20) cards to complete... Not sure this has been asked or even contemplated

And for those that like Bowman, same question except the timetable will be different 1950-1955

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1950 Bowman first series are short prints and can be tough in high grade. 1952 Topps first 20 cards very expensive in high grade, especially #1 and #2 - Pafko and Runnels.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 5:14AM

I would have anticipated alittle more interest....

So I will share an Andy Pafko story. My mother grew up in Chicago and was able to get out to Wrigley Field in the 1944-1947 time frame. She had great stories about the 1945 pennant race and the world series with Detroit that went 7 games. She was able to get several autographs, including Andy Pafko, and she always had nothing but great things to say about Pafko. And 1945 was his break out season. He was a excellent well rounded player and seems underrated. She has a number of other autographs... she managed to obtain Jimmie Foxx's autograph was well. Foxx briefly played for the Cubs in 1944-45 towards the end of his career.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I would have anticipated alittle more interest....

So I will share an Andy Pafko story. My mother grew up in Chicago and was able to get out to Wrigley Field in the 1944-1947 time frame. She had great stories about the 1945 pennant race and the world series with Detroit that went 7 games. She was able to get several autographs, including Andy Pafko, and she always had nothing but great things to say about Pafko. And 1945 was his break out season. He was a excellent well rounded player and seems underrated. She has a number of other autographs... she managed to obtain Jimmie Foxx's autograph was well. Foxx briefly played for the Cubs in 1944-45 towards the end of his career.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about baseball card collecting so I can't comment there.... but, I did enjoy the Pafko story. I think meeting the athletes is a great thrill, and anyone that has done it realizes how great it is when the player takes the time to acknowledge the ones that spend so much time following their careers. Some of them live up to the expectations, and some fall short, but at least it adds some reality to the image you've had in mind. I've met quite a few along the way, and have rarely been disappointed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Great story!
    I think the '52 and '55 have been the toughest for me, personally.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

First 72 of '50 Bowman are incredibly tough- more so than '52 Topps high numbers IMO, but with lower demand.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about the 52 Topps set... (not the players... just the cards). I have been somewhat lucky with the 55 Topps- still don't have the Williams, but I have stumbled across 15 of the first 20. I have about half of the 53's- no Jackie Robinson. I thought this would make an interesting discussion as I would expect the early issues would be subject the greater potential of mishandling and possibly less survived in a state of preservation that some collectors would view as acceptable.

I have had some luck with the early 60 Topps set as well.

I remain curious as the point of reference of others as to the subject. It just may boil down to being in the right place at the right time.