Home U.S. Coin Forum

Was Lesher Dollar Imprint Type Number 1 ever at the Smithsonian?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2021 1:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Adna Wilde speculates the Lesher Dollar Imprint Type Number 1 was donated to the Smithsonian from the Chase Money Museum and was wondering how it left the Smithsonian (back in 2005), given it has been in private ownership since at least 2000. He even lists the Smithsonian in his Census provenance, but admits on E-Asylum that he's guessing that it was ever delivered to the Smithsonian.

Has anyone ever gotten an answer to this question? I haven't seen one from my searches.

I'm also wondering something along the same line, which is whether Imprint Type Number 1 was ever donated to the Smithsonian in the first place. Is there any evidence that it was donated? Is it possible that it was never at the Smithsonian?

Here's a letter from Adna to E-Sylum from 2005. Adna is relying on a conversation with Gene Hessler about the donation of the pieces from the Chase Money Museum but Gene left the Money Museum in 1975, 2 years before the Money Museum closed in 1977. Does anyone known when the donation was made?

The E-Sylum: Volume 8, Number 39, September 11, 2005, Article 19

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v08n39a19.html

Adna Wilde wrote:
In the Sunday, July 26, 2004 E-Sylum, there was a question on the Chase Manhattan Money Museum's collection dispersal. I am sure that Gene Hessler will be the person who has the best information on the subject.

I do have information on where the "Joseph Lesher Referendum Medals" were transferred. I have been keeping track of these medals since 1969. I did examine all of those Leshers, while they were still in the Chase museum.

After the Chase museum was closed, I asked Gene where the Leshers were going. They considered the ANS; however, the ANS already had a collection of 6 types and 9 varieties; therefore, it was decided that the Leshers in the Chase Museum should be offered to the Smithsonian.

The Smithsonian accepted the offer.

I believe that the Smithsonian received:

• Zerbe #1, First type, #18, V. Fine, and #40, Very Fine
  • Zerbe #2, Bumstead T I, #582, Extra Fine
  • Zerbe #3, Bumstead T II, #780, Unc and #874, Unc.
  • Zerbe #4, Bank Type, #1631, Ex Fine.
  • Zerbe #5, Imprint Type, #1, Unc
  • Zerbe #6, Slusher variety, #162, Ex Fine.
  • Zerbe #7, Cohen, #406, Ex Fine.
  • Zerbe #8, Klein, #1071, Ex Fine.
  • Zerbe #9, Mullen, #1504, V. Fine.
  • Zerbe #10, Boyd Park, No Number, V. Fine.

I had not examined the Leshers in the Smithsonian.

There has been one problem, the Zerbe #5, Imprint Type is no longer in the Smithsonian. It appeared in a Bowers & Merena Auction in August 9-12, 2000 and was sold. I do not know who bought the medal: But the important question is, how did the Zerbe #5 Imprint Type Lesher leave the Smithsonian?

If you learn the answer to the question that I have just posed, let me know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file