Home Sports Talk
Options

The battle for Barry Bonds 73rd home run ball

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching a video on YouTube of the scramble for Barry Bonds 73th home run ball, what a mess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=af4dRPV_dUc

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder where it resides now? Did it find it's way to the baseball hof?

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    I wonder where it resides now?

In the bowels of hell, waiting for Barry.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Thete be g> @LandrysFedora said:

I wonder where it resides now? Did it find it's way to the baseball hof?

The whole incident caused a legendary story. When the ball was hit, a man named Alex Popov reached up with his baseball mitt and the ball hit his mitt and he claimed he caught it, but a melee ensued and a man named Patrick Hayashi emerged with the ball and was scampered away. Well, Alex Popov claimed that he had caught the ball and Patrick Hayashi had assaulted him and ripped the ball away from him, so Alex Popov sued Patrick Hayashi in court. There was a long and bitter court proceeding over the ball which was estimated to be valued at $1.5 million, and witnesses that were at the scene were brought in to testify. A judge finally ruled that the ball be auctioned off and the proceeds from the auction were to be split between Alex Popov and Patrick Hayashi. The ball ended up selling at auction for $450,000. There was a documentary called "Up For Grabs"made about the whole incident.

• Options

Here is a picture of Alex Popov testifying at the court proceeding with his glove that he claimed he caught the ball with.

• Options

The person that won the auction for Barry Bonds 73rd home run ball and now owns it is comic book creator and multi millionaire Todd McFarland. As a matter of fact, Todd McFarland also owns Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball which he paid $3 million for. Here, he is pictured with Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball.

• Options

It's strange that Todd McFarland got the Bonds 73rd ball a lot cheaper than the McGwire 70th ball.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info DD.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    Thanks for the info DD.

You're welcome buddy, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.