Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help with an early colonial note

Any experts of colonial currency out there who can tell me what I have and how rare it might be?

This appears to be a 1744 18 Pence note from Pennsylvania (spelled “Pensilvania”), printed by Benjamin Franklin.

On page 335 of Eric Newman’s Early Paper Money of America he lists this note, with “plate letters A, B, & C.” This note has plate letter D at lower left.

Also, first two signatures appear to be James Morris and Abraham Chapman, which is correct according to Newman. The third name appears to be J. Harvey (Joseph?), who Newman lists as a signer of Pennsylvania’s 1746 notes.

I believe a similar note sold as lot #643 in Part III of the John J. Ford auction at Stacks, May, 11-12, 2004. Anyone know of other examples for comparison? Does it appear genuine?

The note looks to be mounted. Here’s the back:

My website: RICurrency.com

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could help, and I’ve got nothing to add except for 1744 is a really early date. Cool note.

• Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

As a general rule, any pre-1750 colonial is rare (1733 Maryland remainders the exception). This note is extremely rare and has been backed because there is heavy tearing throughout. That's ok though because it still faces up well and it's probably one of only a few in existence. The Newman note that sold in 2017 is extraordinary grade and the price was also extraordinary. It's hard to know how to value something like this since the main guy who has been buying every colonial imaginable over the past fifteen years that was not nailed to the floor has now been liquidating. Hope this helps a little. PM sent.

To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply, Slasher! What did the Newman note sell for in 2017?

• Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

PCGS EF 45PPQ hammer 15K (18K with BP).

To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Wow! There can't be many colonials from that period in such great condition!