Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

15 Year Anniversary of the 1975 Topps Mini Case Break…

Found this box tonight at the bottom of a tote with other miscellaneous stuff…hard to believe it’s been 15 years. Anyone else remember being a part of this break? How’d you do?

Guess I did ok on my 6 packs…centering was tough. Had good intentions of not opening them all, but I was weak and they didn’t last a week lol.

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! I love those 75s!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never joined any of the breaks, but i used to love reading through all of the threads. it seems like there used to be so many but it has all slowed way down.

i wonder why?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were the days. That's what got me into vintage boxes. We were big rollers back then! B)

Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    i never joined any of the breaks, but i used to love reading through all of the threads. it seems like there used to be so many but it has all slowed way down.

i wonder why?

Because unopened material has become prohibitively expensive.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember taking part. I can't remember much about it though other than all of my cards where off centered. I can't remember how many I bought. I may have just bought one pack. Does anybody remember how much they were per pack? I still have a wrapper for my wrapper collection! Whoo hoo!

I had no idea it had been 15 years!

Shane

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Same

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep - mostly way off centered cards - but looking through the old thread, Zef and Julen were always a hoot.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this was the mini break before the Gary fiasco?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think I was in on a couple of packs and most were oc. I remember sending in some for grading and thinking they got 8's and maybe a couple of 9's.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2021 12:36PM

@nam812 said:
    So this was the mini break before the Gary fiasco?

I tried to read the Gary fiasco thread and it is a really difficult slog. Was there any ultimate resolution to the situation, or did he just continue denying and it just kind of fizzled?

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a "Cliff Notes" version to the Gary fiasco?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2021 1:23PM

I don't recall if that was the break with the Gary debacle. Here's my recollection of the sequence of events without revisiting the old threads to jog my memory...

• Gary volunteered to arrange breaks. He would purchase the boxes from BBCE who would ship them to Gary. Gary would then break the boxes and ship the packs out to all the participants.
    • I participated in an 80s pack break he coordinated. When I got the packs, they looked resealed. I was confused because some packs like '84 Topps weren't really worth the effort to reseal, but apparently making $5 by scamming fellow board members is worth it to an unscrupulous few.
    • I and a few others challenged him about the condition of the packs, especially after not getting any star cards in the packs
    • He denied it
    • My memory gets a bit fuzzy here. I recall him wanting to "line his coffee table" with '75 wax wrappers. He set up the '75 mini break. I don't recall if he managed one before the big case break or not.
    • The one I participated in was where Gary and Zef traveled back to BBCE to break the case.
    • Gary looked like Uncle Fester from the Addams Family
    • By that time, we arranged with Steve to break the boxes at his store and ship to the participants directly. This removed the risk of having a scammer in the middle.
    • Gary was shamed from the board and probably eventually banned. Before he left, he would rub salt in the wounds by showing off all the 80s cards he pulled from that pack break.

I still have the box I bought from the case break as well as two others including one FASC. I don't think Steve was wrapping them at that time because my box from this case break didn't come wrapped and I probably would have done so if he offered the service at that time...or I was too cheap to pay for the wrap and didn't understand the future value of the service back at that time. I'm glad I bought them when I did. One recently sold for $9,300. I think I bought the FASC box for around $1,000.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint Thank you for relating the story. That's the only foul break I've heard of here. Thanks again.

• Options

I remember now him wanting to line his table with wrappers.

Shane

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

I remember way back in the day in a Beckett Readers Write letter where someone wrote in wondering if there is such a thing as a card shrinking! To which they jokingly replied "If you washed it and put in a dryer on high heat, it's possible. Otherwise you have a 1975 Topps Mini."

This may be a fairly unpopular opinion around here but I very very VERY much prefer the regular size 1975's.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

• My memory gets a bit fuzzy here. I recall him wanting to "line his coffee table" with '75 wax wrappers.

Didn't he claim he was going to make a display for the top of the bar in his house? Like putting the wrappers under the glass top?

• Options

@GDM67 said:

@gemint said:

• My memory gets a bit fuzzy here. I recall him wanting to "line his coffee table" with '75 wax wrappers.

Didn't he claim he was going to make a display for the top of the bar in his house? Like putting the wrappers under the glass top?

Yes. I think some suggested this was a cover story to explain why he was buying so many wrappers.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

That break was a little before my time as I joined the CU boards 10 years ago. I did, however, buy a 1975 Topps mini box in 2012 for $1,300. The intention was to hold it for 5 years and then sell. I ended up opening a bunch of packs very quickly and submitting a bunch of packs and some singles to PSA for grading. I sold all of the graded packs, built a really sharp set that I still have and made a few hundred dollars profit. I do miss the days when '70's packs were affordable.

Daniel
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great memories! I believe Gary was exposed right before the 1978 baseball case break.

I believe it was Lee (cdsnuts) who posted the initial thread bringing the revelations to light.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    ........I believe it was Lee (cdsnuts) who posted the initial thread bringing the revelations to light.

Correct.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Great memories! I believe Gary was exposed right before the 1978 baseball case break.

I believe it was Lee (cdsnuts) who posted the initial thread bringing the revelations to light.

Was his guilt conclusively proven?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

Was his guilt conclusively proven?

Yes, as far as I can recall.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of those threads that should remind people just how long the vintage wax reseal game has been going on. People always seem to think that just because they bought their packs on eBay long ago it protects them from this sort of fraud as they can't imagine people were doing this sort of thing way back then.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    This is one of those threads that should remind people just how long the vintage wax reseal game has been going on. People always seem to think that just because they bought their packs on eBay long ago it protects them from this sort of fraud as they can't imagine people were doing this sort of thing way back then.

My high school English teacher (who was a part time dealer at shows) told me in 1984 that his Biology teacher co-worker was re-sealing 1952 baseball packs.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2021 11:51PM

I didn't participate - so I just read - and don't remember responding to any of it.

Here's a thread a bit later entitled - What Ever Happened to Gary? Where he tries to justify himself.

LINK

Just a note.

I found a few threads next to the one I linked - one had to do with RichG e.g. - these threads went on forever! I realized back around 15 yrs ago? I spent way, way, way too much time here. It was a different time tho in that the board had way, way more participants in any given hour.

This thread takes the cake - I think I used more words in my responses here than I did on a college thesis!

LINK - if you have time - sad - RichG died in a car accident. I think I was pretty hard on him at times.

Mike
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Just read through the "Will Clark cards" thread mostly because I have no life and get up early for no other reason to have an hour or two of coffee drinking and eBay!! Funny and sad stuff at the same time!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I don't collect unopened. however there was a psa board 75 mini break of at least 2 boxes originally from steve hart. FASC.
    I am guessing about 5 years ago.???
    I bought 2 packs. I think they were $75 each. Many guys opened them and posted results. No brett or yount
    It was the same guy who handles many box breaks. Many of the unopened guys here participated.
    The packs were team bagged next to a top loader.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

I remember when I was 12 years old in 1987 buying some 1987 Topps packs from a flea market dealer for $0.50 each. And I remember them being very difficult to open because they were.... Wait for it....super glued! I remember thinking... This dude resealed these and took all the stars out! I was a bit too shy then to call him out on it! Never bought anything from that guy again!

Shane

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    I don't collect unopened. however there was a psa board 75 mini break of at least 2 boxes originally from steve hart. FASC.
    I am guessing about 5 years ago.???
    I bought 2 packs. I think they were $75 each. Many guys opened them and posted results. No brett or yount
    It was the same guy who handles many box breaks. Many of the unopened guys here participated.
    The packs were team bagged next to a top loader.

I remember one like that Jay - but it was around 2014 based on the wrapper.

I wasn't gonna participate but they needed some to buy to close the deal is what I remember - so I decided to jump in.

This is how mine was packed.

Mike
  • Options

buying some 1987 Topps packs from a flea market dealer for $0.50 each.

I'm with ya Shane - I never had any good fortunate going to flea markets.

I remember a guy saying to me - if ya don't see it? Let me know. I'll find it for you.

That was taken right out of one of Mr Mint's book

Mike
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

These were sealed in the team bags by the guy who broke down the box.
    I have nor even taken the packs out.
    I guess people can tell who is on back or front. I dunno

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    These were sealed in the team bags by the guy who broke down the box.
    I have nor even taken the packs out.
    I guess people can tell who is on back or front. I dunno

Very nice. Expos team card is face out on back of the pack on the right.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭

Received six packs on September 6, 2006, for $245. Lots of fun to open , but as you can see the centering was hellish. Here were my "highlights":

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

Pack 4

Packs 5 & 6

Graded only one of them - the Yaz/Cepeda '67 MVPs got an "8."

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was scary about the wrapper guy was he would jump in threads, especially group breaks and ask for any leftovers, and people sent him wrappers and boxes. Luckily you all got on him about resealing.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I was in on the group break Gary handled with football packs. Got absolutely nothing in the 70's packs, but he must have skipped resealing the 81 football because I got a Montana PSA 9 from that one.

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

I wasn't part of that one, but I participated in 2009 or 2010. I bought two packs with the intention of ripping one and keeping one. The first pack yielded zero Pirates, so I fell to the pressure. Sure enough, I scored a Dock Ellis. There was also a super Nolan Ryan in that second pack.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

I think it was maybe a $1,000 card at the time. I sold it to a board member at a discount.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

My cards were destroyed by bad centering.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

Great memories!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a sweet Ryan. I pulled a lot of OC as per usual!