Home Q & A Forum
Options

Extremely distorted image error coins

I have several of this type of coin. I have no idea what's going on with them or if they are worth anything. Can someone please help me with this???

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dropped on asphalt and shuttled around with a hockey stick. Damage, not an error.
    And it was probably driven over several times too.

thefinn
  • Options

I thought that also, until I blew the picture up and seen numbers and patterns. Some marks are negative, (gouged), but there is a lot of positive patterns especially around the face and shoulder. Can you take a second look and magnify the image. It's got to be part errors too. Thank you.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parking lot damage.....run over by a car.....more than once it would appear. ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ... I agree ... parking lot find!

• Options

Alright, thank you fellas, y'all saved me some experience and embarrassment. I have something else I would like for y'all to take a look at. I think it's a good one.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged coin + poor quality picture + some pareidolia = spender. As for the Jefferson - please tell us what you are seeing on the coin as we just don't have the time to go on a snipe hunt.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I apologize for the inconvenience. What I see is doubling around all the letters, and the date. And it looks like there's an imprint of a waving flag, some holes, and what looks to me like possible die cracks on his face. And I don't know about the blue effect. If y'all have some kind of opinion about it I would appreciate it but please don't waste any time that you don't have to spare. The problem is I'm new at this, and I'm not real sure what to say or ask. I didn't want to tell you season collectors what to see on that coin I just assumed that you would know. Thank you for your feedback.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well unfortunately the obverse picture is blurry. Would need a sharper picture and maybe some close ups of the areas in question. The "waving flag" may just be some scuff marks from circulation. And the "holes" into the metal would be damage.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

• Options

Like I said I'm just starting out collecting coins. I'm trying to determine if this is something I want to take on as a hobby. I'm willing to put some money into equipment better cameras, microscopes, grading, and all that is necessary. I feel like I'm a fairly intelligent person that can be honest with myself about what I'm looking at, and learn to do this, but if I'm way off on this one, then I think maybe my time might be better spent doing something else.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding error coins out in change is a labor of love, not of profit.

I’ve found a single cent out of hundreds of dollars worth of cents. That’s tens of thousands of cents.

There is another approach to collecting. Get an album and fill it from “change.” It won’t be worth more than change but it is also a labor of love. I suggest going to a back and ask them for a box of nickels. You can fill most of a Jefferson album this way. The place to get rid of your rejects is a different bank.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not to be insulting but to draw a comparison, these images are like seeing faces in clouds. It definitely looks like something, but when it comes to a coin it is just some damage that seems familiar.

Here are some error coins for your review:
    https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3183+793+794+791+1577+792+2088+4294940542&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-LiveProxy-BrowseCatalog-051914

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I've collected silver coins for years. Not only because of the value, I think they are beautiful. I love proof coins also. I enjoy a nice walking liberty as much as a bright full moon. My brother introduced me to error coins a couple weeks ago. I couldn't believe what people would pay for crap. So here I am. I will always collect silver proof coins. I'm just not sure if I like this aspect of collecting enough to send the the time on it that it demands.

• Options

No offense taken. I appreciate your honesty. That's what I need to make the most informed decision about my future as a coin hound. Thank you for your time.

• Options

If you think you are going to strike it rich or make any kind of a living from searching your change or rolls from the bank you may want to slow down and do a bit more research. I have found with my own searching that I average 1 true error coin in about every 5000 coins. It may be a small error or it could be a big error but you don't find dozens of them. If you are finding dozens of what you think are errors, there is a very good chance you are not that lucky. It is one thing to see someone selling a coin as an error for a high price but it is another to see what they really sell for if they do sell. Many minor varieties are hard to find a buyer for. The major varieties like the 1955/55 cent will always sell and will bring good money. Your chances of finding a genuine 1955/55 in circulation is very low, you stand a better chance with the Powerball.

Welcome to error coins. :p

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are looking for a fast or easy score then best to look elsewhere.

You are obsessing over things that are not even errors. For example, your "waving flag imprint" is just a fingerprint smear.

It's all part of the learning process, of course, but finding errors is not easy. Just because some people put fake or non-errors on Ebay does not mean they are real or actually have any value.

If you want to find errors you need to learn about the minting process and what can go wrong. You also need to spend time looking at real errors (such as here on the forum).

Then, you need to look at LOTS of coins. As I always say, if you want to find errors, don't look at your coins more closely, look at more coins.

Here is a once in a lifetime find for me, found after looking through hundreds of thousands of nickels. It is a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel. Volume was the key to finding it. If I scrutinized every coin like you are doing, someone else would have found it. ;)

• Options

Thank you for sharing your your experience and that fantastic example. Since I was a small child I've collected older and different coins. I enjoy finding them and sharing them with other people. My brother knew I have a love for coins that's why he encouraged me to start looking at coins for errors. He really doesn't know what he's doing and the only learning I've gotten about error coins is on YouTube videos where the smallest errors are worth a fortune. I've never looked at coins in that way. So this is why I obsess over every coin. That's how I thought it was done. Of course I would love to make a fast easy score, I don't know anyone that wouldn't. You don't look at thousands of coins because you are trying to break a world record, you do it to find that awesome 2016 nickel stamped over a 2015 nickel that is very valuable.
    I get that you have to put the time in, and the less time I spend per coin the more I can look at in the same lot of time. Basic math, but to me that's not collecting and enjoying the hunt. That's more like a production job that you work like hell, go through a lot of inconvenience, and spend a lot of prescious time with out getting paid. Sounds to me like you could have bought that coin for your collection if you would have made better use of all that time and effort, and put it towards something that has a real tangible prospect of turning a profit. Basically a second job.
    I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice and your experiences. I'm not looking for a second job. I work 60 hours a week already. I'm only messing around with it because I enjoy coins and with the potential to make a big score, just spending a little bit of spare time doing something I enjoy. If it takes having to spend hours and hours, and monotonously looking through coins without ever really looking at them then this definitely isn't for me.
    I tell you what I have learned though. I've learned to be more selective about the errors I present to you people, because most of you seem like bored smart asses that just want to make somebody else feel stupid. I have only one thing to say to you guys that subscribe to that sort of thing, "GET A LIFE". To the rest of you that have honest appreciation for collecting coins and want to share your experience and help guide other people, thank you. "YOU GUYS ROCK".

• Options

On the 1969 D penny..
    It looks like a torch on the reverse of a dime. In fact. It looks like there are several in all different sizes and directions. With the biggest one running up Lincoln's back to the middle of his face with a smaller one running along side it. And all the curved gouges look like the torch flame also?? Just saying. I know you can find faces in the clouds..... but I know 69 penny was struck with a dime reverse

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PBoss said:
    On the 1969 D penny..
    It looks like a torch on the reverse of a dime. In fact. It looks like there are several in all different sizes and directions. With the biggest one running up Lincoln's back to the middle of his face with a smaller one running along side it. And all the curved gouges look like the torch flame also?? Just saying. I know you can find faces in the clouds..... but I know 69 penny was struck with a dime reverse

• If you study the minting and die making process. you'll understand why it can't be struck with a dime reverse in a chamber set up for minting cents.
    • Your cent obviously damaged, most likely by being run over on an asphalt surface. The "road rash" is so obvious, suggesting its anything else is absurd. It doesn't matter if you see a torch or a porcupine eating a big mac, it isn't there.
    • Contrary to your previous comments, Members don't enjoy making newbies feel stupid. We understand that what's obvious to an experienced collector, isn't always obvious to a newbie. However, when you get credible answers from knowledgeable numismatists all saying it's damage, and you come back and say "I still see something, are you sure you know what you're talking about?" , you sound absolutely ridiculous, which leads to the snarky responses.
    • if you still believe this could be caused during the minting process, and nobody on this site knows anything about numismatics, feel free to submit the coin for error attribution. It's your money to waste.
    Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Dear Mr. Snarky
    I wasn't arguing with anyone about there opinion. I had dismissed it as road rash after reading what the experienced coin gurus had to say. My brother brought it to my attention that the marks looked like a torch. This is why I represented the issue again.
    As far as you go ,you sound like you have a guilty conscience you're probably one of the biggest offenders of anyone that I've seen, for snarky demeaning mean comments. I'm not a rude or inconsiderate person. I only respond rudely to rude people. Nothing you said was helpful or appreciated. You just waited for your chance to pounce on somebody. I hope you feel better about yourself.

• Options

Mr. Snarky I take back the part of what said about your words not being helpful. It taught me two things. (1) that no one wants to have their opinions questioned, y'all's ego won't allow it, especially from a person new to coin collecting. (2) error attribution. I didn't know that was a thing. I have a few extra bucks I can put towards having a coin checked. I would send the one you in question, if one of you coin gurus had told me it had a shot.

• Options

@PBoss "I feel like I'm a fairly intelligent person"

If you are new to errors and wanting help or advise it would be wise to not chase off the people trying to help you.

• Options

@PBoss "I tell you what I have learned though. I've learned to be more selective about the errors I present to you people, because most of you seem like bored smart asses that just want to make somebody else feel stupid. I have only one thing to say to you guys that subscribe to that sort of thing, "GET A LIFE".

This is your first post, so when did you learn prior to this to be more selective?
    This almost sounds like you have been here before.
    Is this a new alt for you because you were banned before?

No one was being a smart ass or trying to make you feel stupid. Please re-read the comments.

Everything was going fine in your thread until you started being "snarky" with this post telling members to "get a life."

As the old saying goes, "You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression."

• Options

"don't have the time to go on a snipe hunt.", "If you are looking for a fast or easy score then best to look elsewhere.", "
    If you study the minting and die making process. you'll understand why it can't be struck with a dime reverse in a chamber set up for minting cents."

• Options

If I offended anyone with my responses to snarky comments, that wasn't my intention. I learned from all the options given. I felt like a couple of people thought they would try to seem smarter by making me feel stupid for questioning them. I realize I'm not among my peers, and may step across the line for some people. I will refrain from commenting on snarky options, until I am better educated. I have a lot of coins that match the errors I am see on line and do value the opinion of experienced people, but if you feel like you have to talk down to me, you better have a lot more to offer than some snarky comments. I apologize to anyone that I offered. I promise to be a better squire moving forward.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice picture of a cent struck OVER a dime. This is a legitimate error.

Are claiming your coin could be a cent over stuck on a dime? I hope not, since your coin is stuck on a copper planchet. There is a significant difference between the two.

Go back and do some studying on the minting process. Once you have some background, you'll easily understand why you can't have a dime struck on a cent planchet or over struck on a cent.

Once again, you have a road rash coin. All the scratches, and gouge and dents may look like some, but its not. Its just damage.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I understand, I am researching the minting process. I appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Someone commented that sometimes you think you see things that aren't there, like a face in the clouds. That put it in perspective for me. I will be more selective about y'all's time moving forward. I do have a few things I want to present to y'all after the coin microscope I ordered arrives. I should be able to weed out the BS and present better specimens. Thank you for your time.

• Options

This looks like something to me. The letters are messed up. It could be the light? Or something else? Last one for a while. I have to get some learn'en.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

since the coin has seen use 99.99% post mint damage coin is what you got just IMHO

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

Thank you for taking the time to review things and realize we are trying to help you. :)

• Options

I did, and you are right. I over reacted, because I really thought there was more to it, and felt a little stupid. Just like the 1994 penny, the letters in trust look doubled. I really wasn't aware that kind of stuff could happen to coins. I guess I'm really not that surprised, I was just unaware. Thank you for your earlier post. It made me stop think. I know I will probably have to take a little abuse, but I'm a pretty fast learner. I really enjoy this aspect of collecting,and besides I work out of town away from my family, this gives me something to focus on besides being lonely. Thank you for everything..

• Options

What is IMHO? I what I think it means, but not sure...

• Options

A much nicer post! :)
    We are here to help.....please don't feel stupid. There is no way for you to learn without asking questions. ;)
    Stick around this is a great place to learn.
    There is no advantage for members to give you bad information or advise, we like to see others make a great find.

• Options

"What is IMHO?"

In my honest opinion

• Options

Ohhhh! Thank you