Home Sports Talk
Options

Would you try this?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

People can be locked into plexiglass cages while lions view them.

‘Reverse’ zoo locks visitors in cages for lions’ viewing pleasure

Scaredy cats, beware — this wild zoo is letting people get up close and purr-sonal with the king of the jungle.

Lion sanctuary GG Conservation in Harrismith, South Africa, is placing visitors inside Plexiglas cages stationed at the center of the lions’ lair, granting animal enthusiasts a palm-to-paw encounter with their menagerie of 77 rescued big cats.

“We have been offering this experience for almost two years now,” director of the nonprofit wildlife park Suzanne Scott, 53, told Caters. “The safety of both our guests and big cats is top priority.”

For 2000 to 3000 South African rand, which converts to about $134 to $197 in US currency, tourists are locked inside GG’s “professional photography cage” for 45 minutes from 6:30 a.m. until 7:15 a.m. each day — depending on weather and staff availability.

The GG Conservation is locking visitors inside cages to give them a “safe and humane” encounter with lions.

Children under the age of 14 are not allowed.

But permitted guests are encouraged to snap close-range pictures of the lions as the massive carnivores try clawing through the enclosure’s acrylic walls.

“The [cage] is regularly checked by an engineer to ensure it can safely carry the weight should a lion jump on top of it,” said Scott of the big cats, whose weights can range from 270 to 570 pounds.

The Plexiglas cage supports the massive weight of the big cats.

The GG Conservation — named after its founder Glen Garriff and commissioned to sustain South Africa’s dwindling lion population — was gifted the cage by a German photographer who regularly frequents the sanctuary.

The Plexiglas cube, which accommodates up to three people at a time, is outfitted with several circular “breathing holes” that offer the daredevil detainees air supply.

The cage is outfitted with breathing holes that provide visitors with a fresh flow of oxygen.

“These holes are totally safe and too small for a lion paw to get through,” the conservation’s website assured.

And while the topsy-turvy zoo notes “safety” as its top priority, it also gives visitors fair warning about the unpredictability of the volatile species.

“We cannot guarantee how the lions will react,” the site reads, “but will endeavor to ensure you have a fantastic experience.”

Guests have called the cage experience “amazing.”

And fans of the ferocious felines who have visited the sanctuary have lionized the adventure online.

“The whole experience at GG Conservation was amazing,” one guest wrote in a testimonial.

“The lion cage really allowed me to come close-up with these awesome specimens,” another penned. “So much so that I could actually smell them.”

The lions are mentally and physically stimulated during the cage escapades.

And it’s a roaring good time for the big cats, too.

“It offers the lions enrichment in the form of mental and physical stimulation — which is good for any animals in captivity,” said Scott.

Profits from the cage escapade are allocated towards housing the rescued pride.

The lions are well fed and maintained through the profits from cage experience.
“It’s a nonprofit sanctuary relying solely on donations,” Scott explained. “The cubes rates offer us a small income which directly helps us to feed and protect the lions in our care.”

GG will soon welcome another 17 big cats that were recently rescued from a defunct zoo in the Middle East.

GG plans to welcome more lions before the end of the year.

Comments

• Options

Oh mama!

• Options

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have any interest in doing that. But I can see how others would like it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would absolutely do that, a shark cage would be no after watching 47 meters down though lol.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I would absolutely do that, a shark cage would be no after watching 47 meters down though lol.

I haven't seen that yet, looks pretty good, I'm going to have to check it out.

• Options

@doubledragon it you want to see the absolute scariest Shark Movie then watch “The Reef”.

• Options

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

time of day & time of year dependent, id definitely do that. would be armed solely for any worst case scenarios. but looks pretty fun actually. 110°, high noon, locked in a plexiglass cage w no wind? though? ill wait.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon it you want to see the absolute scariest Shark Movie then watch “The Reef”.

I didn't even know about that movie, I will definitely check it out. 🖒🍻

• Options

I recently watched The Meg, it was pretty good.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all fun and games untill the Rhino show's up.................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

exactly.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 7:38PM

@thisistheshow said:
    I would not have any interest in doing that. But I can see how others would like it.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

I’ve read that Hippos are the most dangerous animal

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

{I’ve read that Hippos are the most dangerous animal }

Especially if you're this guy - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would absolutely do this. IN. A. HEARTBEAT.

I've done a shark cage and it was incredible:

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is numero uno on my bucket list and everything else is a distant 2nd

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

That is insanity. I’ve seen it done before and I know there is a woman I believe that swims with sharks to some degree but for me it’s one of my biggest fears to get eaten by a shark

• Options

@Tabe said:
    I would absolutely do this. IN. A. HEARTBEAT.

I've done a shark cage and it was incredible:

Were there Great Whites? Where did you do it?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Were there Great Whites? Where did you do it?

No great whites though the dive company has encountered them at that spot.

North shore of Oahu.

• Options

the meg wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it was gonna be.> @galaxy27 said:

that bad boy got hooked right there. theres a woman on instagram that only dives to remove hooks from sharks mouths and bodies. its pretty crazy! she keeps every single one she pulls. her collection is crazy. even crazier to think what she does to fuel her collection!