Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Confirmed Certified Counterfeit 1882 GB Shilling

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2021 5:49PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A friend from "across the pond" sent me a note that this internet listed 1882 shilling is counterfeit.

He wrote a short article on this and his 1863 as counterfeits using handmade dies; cites the dates are way off to genuine examples.

I have included images of the subject example in the PCGS slab as well as images from his article.

Comparison images of this one on the left to a genuine one on the right courtesy PCGS CoinFacts.

Thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

The busts don't really match at all either between those two coins

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the holder also counterfeit, or did PCGS let one slip by?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, that is embarrassing. This is a rare date and finally managed to get a slabbed IMO genuine example in MS66.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

It is definitely off; owner sent me the cert number and this image;

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

The 1863 & 1882 counterfeits look to be made from the same obverse, which is clearly wrong. The easiest way to differentiate between 2nd/3rd and 4th head is to examine the lowest hair to the right of the ear. The hair curls make a reversed curl on the first two, but the 4th is curled in one direction only. It is also composed of distinct parallel lines as seen. In the case of the c/feits, these are too pronounced.

The font of both dates is clearly wrong and should be as the genuine 1882 with fatter loops to the 8.

Other obvious differences include the tie knot, which appears to be a square rather than a ribbon loop viewed at a slight angle and the oak leaf edges are too diffuse and insufficiently irregular. This may be due to a soft impression taken when making the copy. Compare the finer detail with a reasonably high grade reverse showing some wear and the weakness is quite apparent.

• Options

Thank you @robp2 . Is this a contemporary counterfeit or recent?

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

I used to own a pair of these. Dates on the fakes look tooled. The first was certified by PCGS as MS64. The other by NGC as MS66 (this last one was in my possession for only a short time).

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

And, as Rob P. pointed out, the hair on the fakes is all wrong. The portrait doesn't even look like any of the four young head obverses. Look at the contour of the neck and how the nose is pointier, with a wider nostril, plus the more pronounced chin - it doesn't match any of the portraits on the shilling.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

There are so many discrepancies with the reverse to wonder how this one was certified...

Genuine image on the right courtesy Heritage:

• Options

Love researching stuff like this!

Found another example; images of site and translated "story":

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

some contemporary counterfeits really can be collectable...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Research suggests this one was "coined" in the 1970's and came from a collection of British coins in the 1980's. Appears it was submitted for certification in 2014; cert has been removed...

• Options

@coinkat said:
    some contemporary counterfeits really can be collectable...

Although not "contemporary" I am told these are highly collectable as well.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah well, I for one avidly collect Vicky silver but don't touch the counterfeits.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Ah well, I for one avidly collect Vicky silver but don't touch the counterfeits.

Not many recognized this as a counterfeit!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The LOL is meant to recognize your commentary even though it does not measure the frustration that you have endured as a collector...

It reminds of one of my own experiences with a Morgan Dollar 1902-o micro o that was deemed to be counterfeit. I suspect my experience may not make you feel better but there are experts and I maybe this should end before my further pontification.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    Is the holder also counterfeit, or did PCGS let one slip by?

Genuine holder; have it in hand now.