Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Has anyone ever seen….

…a 1971 baseball PSA 10 card originally graded in the lighthouse era? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one, and I strongly suspect that the vast, vast majority of existing ‘71 PSA 10s we’re graded before 2013.

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through all the 1971 PSA 10 sales on the auction results tool, starting at the beginning of the set. I had to go through 23 sales until I finally found a card graded after 2014…

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 5:20PM

@PaulMaul said:
    I went through all the 1971 PSA 10 sales on the auction results tool, starting at the beginning of the set. I had to go through 23 sales until I finally found a card graded after 2014…

Lighthouse label started 6/14/2017. Based on this Cert number this is an early lighthouse, probably graded 2nd half of 2017.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Razor sharp but that tilt would bother me, especially on a 10.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited August 21, 2021 6:27PM

@grote15 said:
    Razor sharp but that tilt would bother me, especially on a 10.

Tilt is especially disturbing when, like this card, it is, say 55/45 on top and 45/55 on the bottom. For my money, that is NOT 55/45 centering, and should not get a 9 or 10.

But my primary point here is that getting a 10 today on a ‘71 is HIGHLY improbable. Almost all of the existing 10s were graded ten or more years ago.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

I would say getting a 10 on a 1971 right now is impossible. If they are unwilling to give a 10 then it does not matter the condition of the card. GEM MINT cards are 9's or 8's from what I have seen.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I have. Being my primary collection, I check the pop reports daily. There have been 4 since I started watching, it went from 238-242. 🤷‍♂️

• Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Is that a tide line in the upper right corner? Doesn't look like a thread in the case or scratch in the plastic. Strange.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2021 3:17PM

@Mo_Mentum said:
    Is that a tide line in the upper right corner? Doesn't look like a thread in the case or scratch in the plastic. Strange.

50/50 shot. could be on the case still. the black card doesnt provide a shadow to be cast on which also augments the visual depth perception to find out via scan. theres also a tinier scratch or wrinkle slightly to the left too. with most scratches, usually theres a deeper one going away and a slighter one on the pullback.

@blurryface said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

50/50 shot. could be on the case still. the black card doesnt provide a shadow to be cast on which also augments the visual depth perception to find out via scan. theres also a tinier scratch or wrinkle slightly to the left too. with most scratches, usually theres a deeper one going away and a slighter one on the pullback.

I wasn't thinking crease, wrinkle, print pleat, or scratch. To me, it has the look of a demarcating border, separating a difference in surface texture, most often as occurs with paper, a "tide-line" separating a moisture-effected area from an unaffected one.

@PaulMaul said:
    I didn’t notice that.

It has a look not unlike when one of the ways of collecting and storing cards was using corner mounts (like on old photos) to affix cards to scrapbook album pages,

@PaulMaul said:
    I didn’t notice that.

I see everything. 20/10 vision. I can read the bottom line 2 lines under the 20/20 line. As a collector, it's a double-edged sword. A blessing and a curse. o:)>:)

I know too much also. So I have to constantly exercise plausible deniability and try fooling myself if I'm to actually enjoy my hobby! B)

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2021 4:32PM

only thing leading me to think its the case is that it leads from the tip of that border bumper which has frosting. there was a run of holders right when the lighthouse label that would crack very easy and basically create the similar effect of a broken windshield that continues to spider crack after every bump you hit.

eta: only way i remember this is because after coughing up $1k to reholder a mantle it came back from psa w a very similar look. one off the bottom bumper and then a spider webbed looking one around one of the sonic welded round points. pretty peeved they sent it out like that and having to resend it.