Home Sports Talk
Options

The Falcons were celebrating at halftime of Super Bowl LI

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robert Alford was playing for the Falcons in Super Bowl LI, and Alford is now teammates with Malcolm Butler who played for the Patriots during Super Bowl LI. Well, Robert Alford made a shocking admission to Malcolm Butler about Super Bowl LI.

Ex-Falcons Player Made Admission About Super Bowl LI Loss

The Atlanta Falcons had one of the most infamous blown games in sports history at the end of the 2016-17 NFL season. The team was up 28-3 on Tom Brady and the New England Patriots with just over two minutes left in the third quarter.

At the 2:06 mark in the third quarter, James White caught a touchdown from Brady. After a quick Falcons three-and-out, the Patriots kicked a field goal to cut things to 28-12. The Falcons fumbled it away three plays later, and the Patriots scored just 2:28 later, getting within a touchdown at 28-20. After a Falcons punt, New England marched 91 yards down the field, capped by a one-yard run by White and a Brady-to-Danny Amendola two-point conversion to tie the game. The Pats got the ball in overtime, and went 75 yards in eight plays, with White scoring once again to win the game.

By now we know to never, ever count out a team with Tom Brady under center. Apparently the Falcons hadn’t gotten that memo, even as Brady had four championships under his belt at that point.

Former Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler is now position mates with former Falcon Robert Alford on the Arizona Cardinals. Butler says that Alford admits the team was celebrating very hard in the locker room at halftime, as if the game was already over with Atlanta up 21-3 at the time.

“I talked to him about it. I asked him if he wanted his ring back,” Butler joked with Ryan Cody of 12 News in Phoenix. “He told me a story, he said he was in the locker room at halftime, he told me he was about to pop a bottle and things like that, it was so funny. And we came back and beat them.

“I’m just imagining him at halftime. Robert, he’s a funny guy, he’s got a lot of energy, tells a lot of jokes, and he told me at halftime they were in there dancing and hooraying, then we came back and beat them, so I think that was pretty funny.”

Over four years later, Atlanta Falcons fans are still subject to a ton of 28-3 jokes. This revelation from Alford and Butler somehow makes things even worse.

Comments