Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting ebay find..contemporary counterfeit?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2021 3:31PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2021 2:55AM

It's supposed to look like this, made by Matthew Boulton at the Soho Mint in Birmingham from a Spanish 8 reales:

George III Dollar, 1804

Soho. Silver, 41mm, 27g (S 3768).

Nice big coins, like many of George III's. I can see why someone needed to add a test cut to mine...

• Options

Nice one there, test cut and all..👆
    I don't yet have it in hand, but I'm excited to get a closer look...either a contemporary counterfeit or a copper pattern piece that was later silver plated.

• Options

Anyone care to weigh in?
    A few possibilities here I'm sure..

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a silver plated counterfeit, to me. Pretty neat.

• Options

The fun will be studying it in hand to try and determine if it's that or a copper pattern that got plated..

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    The fun will be studying it in hand to try and determine if it's that or a copper pattern that got plated..

Have you ever heard of that happening before? In my opinion, the craftsmanship would have been much better if that were the case. For example, look at the dentils in the first image - they're all over the place in terms of shape, length and distance.

• Options

Frankly, I was not aware that there even were copper struck patterns of the 1804 dollar..
    Yeah, it does seem doubtful for sure that something that was made as a trial or pattern would be this crudely struck (dentils) or as worn down...
    But, I'm delighted to find (at least) a cool CC bank dollar, if it appears in hand to possibly be a pattern, I'll definitely post more about it 😅