PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:48PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited August 20, 2021 5:46PM

Would pay by paypal invoice and cover the 3% cost.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auctions

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I will pay a finders fee that leads to a deal been done.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Auctions

Is that truly my only chance?

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭✭

With only 30-40 coins out there yes, that's basically your only option. One will pop up every year or two at various venues, details coins have been bringing $4k - $10k.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@bidask said:
    Auctions

Is that truly my only chance?

I think that is your only chance

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there was one sold today.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2021 6:31PM

@Abuelo said:

Out of my range (sold for 30k) was the under bidder for the 1732 4 Reales that ended at 14 400$.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

Out of my range (sold for 30k) was the under bidder for the 1732 4 Reales that ended at 14 400$.

Do you know what was special about that coin?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

It was the variety without the 4 and R am I missing something here? It is the coin that is in Brad Yonaka's book.

• Options

Do they ever come up for sale on Ebay?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll have better success getting a connected dealer to find it for you.

By the way, my recollection is that the 1732 4R you bid on today is the same coins Stacks sold a few years ago for somewhat over $6K. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

By comparison, the Rudman NGC AU-58 sold for $27,600 in August 2016. I've never bought a coin anywhere near this value but thought about competing for it at the time. I just could not bring myself to do it.

It's my opinion that the 1732 4R should sell for more than the 8R, but those who buy both disagree with me.

Financially, I suspect you will be glad you did not win it later.

• Options

@WCC said:

By the way, my recollection is that the 1732 4R you bid on today is the same coins Stacks sold a few years ago for somewhat over $6K. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

By comparison, the Rudman NGC AU-58 sold for $27,600 in August 2016. I've never bought a coin anywhere near this value but thought about competing for it at the time. I just could not bring myself to do it.

It's my opinion that the 1732 4R should sell for more than the 8R, but those who buy both disagree with me.

The final hammer price seemed high that is why I stopped.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

It was the variety without the 4 and R am I missing something here? It is the coin that is in Brad Yonaka's book.

I'd rather own this variety too but to my knowledge, it is more common than the variety with denomination and assayer.

• Options

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

I'd rather own this variety too but to my knowledge, it is more common than the variety with denomination and assayer.

Based on Brad Yonaka's book one is R2 the other R3.

• Options

@WCC said:

The final hammer price seemed high that is why I stopped.

Way to high. Even if the Rudman coin should be worth $50K now, i don't think a slightly damaged one in an average circulated grade is worth $14K.

I don't think the demand is there. It's not like a US DB small eagle half dollar which consistently sells for high prices even in very low quality or with problems.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2021 7:20PM

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

I'd rate it #2 or #3 among all pillar 4R, behind the 1760 Chile and 1752 Peru, if one actually exists. Not sure anyone else agrees with me on the second coin.

• Options

@WCC said:

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

I'd rate it #2 or #3 among all pillar 4R, behind the 1760 Chile and 1752 Peru, if one actually exists. Not sure anyone else agrees with me on the second coin.

I have no clue what you are saying across multiple posts.

The 1732-Mo 4R (of any kind) is a rare coin. Yes, the no assayer happens to be more common than the 1732-MoF for some strange reason. It certainly is much more rare than a 1732-Mo 8R. I think there are maybe 10-12 known across all grades of the 1732-Mo 4R. Most are in very low details grade. Sedwick auctioned one a few years back that was so thin, it felt like a cliche.

You can bloviate all you want about what you think prices "should" be, but the fact is there were two bidders tonight who wanted that VF Details coin and one of them got it at 12k hammer. You will also note that the 1733/2-MoMF 4R (also quite rare) has increased greatly in value over the last few years. I sold one in January for a tidy sum.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

The 1732-Mo 4R (of any kind) is a rare coin. Yes, the no assayer happens to be more common than the 1732-MoF for some strange reason. It certainly is much more rare than a 1732-Mo 8R. I think there are maybe 10-12 known across all grades of the 1732-Mo 4R. Most are in very low details grade. Sedwick auctioned one a few years back that was so thin, it felt like a cliche.

You can bloviate all you want about what you think prices "should" be, but the fact is there were two bidders tonight who wanted that VF Details coin and one of them got it at 12k hammer. You will also note that the 1733/2-MoMF 4R (also quite rare) has increased greatly in value over the last few years. I sold one in January for a tidy sum.

I have no idea why you are taking offence to my posts. It's a coin I like. I just think the price today was too high.

• Options

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

I have no idea why you are taking offence to my posts. It's a coin I like. I just think the price today was too high.

Don't worry guys the info helps.

• Options

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

I'm not taking offense. But I am confused by your multiple posts about this price and that price.

I happen to know quite a bit about this coin (considered a pattern by some as mentioned in Gilboy).

If I can say anything about the prices this week, nothing shocks me anymore. It may seem unusual that the price has increased so much so fast (hint, see the prices of 1732 Pillar Dollars and Mexican Hookneck 8Rs), but I would argue that they were depressed before and now they are not only coming back to normal, but going up above normal like most other coins.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    I'm not taking offense. But I am confused by your multiple posts about this price and that price.

I happen to know quite a bit about this coin (considered a pattern by some as mentioned in Gilboy).

If I can say anything about the prices this week, nothing shocks me anymore. It may seem unusual that the price has increased so much so fast (hint, see the prices of 1732 Pillar Dollars and Mexican Hookneck 8Rs), but I would argue that they were depressed before and now they are not only coming back to normal, but going up above normal like most other coins.

I recall three relatively recent sales: the Rudman AU-58, this coin which to my recollection is the same one sold by Stacks, and the one sold by Sedwick you mentioned. I'm also aware of the information you provided about it, excluding that you previously owned one. I know the coin is relatively prominent since this design is about all I buy now, though not Mexico.

I'm also aware it's a different market in 2021. Comparing the price and quality, I still think it's an outlier price. Concurrently, I'd never tell anyone they should have paid less or should not have bought it. It's not my money.

Relatively, I think this coin is underpriced or at least was until this sale. In 2016, when the Rudman coin sold, I thought the price was too low.