Home Sports Talk
Options

Not so fast Justin, it's Andy's time

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news @galaxy27, Andy Dalton said it's his time.

Andy Dalton on Bears QB Competition: 'Right Now It's My Time'

Andy Dalton says Justin Fields will have a great career, but he isn't ceding Chicago's starting job just yet.

Rookie quarterback Justin Fields excited the Bears faithful with a two-touchdown performance in his preseason debut on Sunday, but not everyone is ready to anoint him the starter just yet.

Andy Dalton addressed his competition with Fields for the starting spot on Tuesday, and he isn't ready to cede his place ahead of Week 1. Dalton said Fields has a bright future ahead, but as it pertains to 2021, Dalton noted "it's my time."

"[Fields] is going to have his time and he's going to have a great career," Dalton said. "But right now, it's my time, so my focus is being on being the best player I can be for this team."

Perhaps Dalton will be able to keep Fields on the sideline as the Bears face the Rams in Week 1, though it's hard to imagine Chicago sticking with the veteran QB throughout 2021. Dalton sports a middling 74–66–2 career record as a starter, and he's averaged fewer than seven yards per attempt in three of the last four seasons.

Fields joins the Bears after being selected with the No. 11 pick in the 2021 NFL draft. He logged 22 starts in two seasons at Ohio State, tallying 63 touchdowns while completing 64.8% of his pass attempts.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

justin case, its justin time.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Andy Dalton will forever be a Chicago Bear, you're never going to get rid of him, he's there to stay!

• Options

• Options

Bump to remind galaxy27 that Andy Dalton is a Bear.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit to slight bias as an Ohio State fan, so that's out of the way.

all the same, I am starting to get a little aggravated about all the negativity around Justin Fields. starting sometime during late winter as we closed in on the NFL Draft the "machine" started and hasn't slowed. I can't figure what he's done to deserve it all. the rest of the QB's who were drafted, Lawrence, Jones, Lance and everyone else seem to be getting a pass no matter what they do. most of the others had lackluster performances while Fields had a decent enough game.

what's up with that?? why does he seem to be disliked and hoped to fail, while the opposite is true for the others??

• Options
    edited August 21, 2021 12:22PM

Justin Fields is great, but let's face it, he'll never be Andy freakin' Dalton.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 1:05PM

@keets said:
    I will admit to slight bias as an Ohio State fan, so that's out of the way.

all the same, I am starting to get a little aggravated about all the negativity around Justin Fields. starting sometime during late winter as we closed in on the NFL Draft the "machine" started and hasn't slowed. I can't figure what he's done to deserve it all. the rest of the QB's who were drafted, Lawrence, Jones, Lance and everyone else seem to be getting a pass no matter what they do. most of the others had lackluster performances while Fields had a decent enough game.

what's up with that?? why does he seem to be disliked and hoped to fail, while the opposite is true for the others??

I'm watching the Bears game on the NFL Network and it's the Chicago feed so it's got a lot of homerism to it. Fields has been shaky with his arm and reads but has been great with his legs. 46 yards rushing so far. He should continue to use them. Touch passes are a problem for most young QBs and especially so for Fields. He's air mailing a lot of passes.

Al, the others are getting all or most of the 1st team snaps since they were taken with the first 3 picks and two and possibly all three will be starting the season. Dalton is getting the first team snaps in Chicago and will be the starting QB this year. This is a learning year for Fields with zero expectations. I think that's why the others are getting the hype and why Fields is further behind. Next year it's likely his team. Maybe even the end of this season depending if the Bears are in contention.

It's also hard to gauge because he is playing against 3rd teamers by time he hits the field and he only has back ups on his side of the ball

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trubisky was the best Bears QB on the field today.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

here again, I confess bias, Mitch Trubisky is a hometown boy and I hope he does well.

I watched some of the Bills vs. Bears and Trubisky looked sharp, he went to the right guy after reads, passes were on time and with some zip, he moved well in the pocket. I wonder if the problem for both guys, Trubisky and now Fields, is that Chicago isn't a very good Team and hasn't been coached well recently??

FWIW, I always sort of liked Jay Cutler. when it was apparent he was on the ropes in Chicago and before Cleveland drafted Baker Mayfield I had hoped they might sign Cutler. I assumed it would be short term if they did and that he'd be a good "game manager" while the Browns sought out their franchise guy. that never happened and Baker is now firmly in place.

FWIW, I was pretty pissed when they drafted him and assumed he would be a bust. I have been pleasantly surprised since he seems to have settled down, is using the skills it was clear he had and is playing better. I'm anxious to watch him Sunday.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 2:06PM

On a completely separate note Zack Wilson looks great

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 2:28PM

@keets
    Bingo!
    I wonder if the problem for both guys, Trubisky and now Fields, is that Chicago isn't a very good Team and hasn't been coached well recently??

My prediction is Nagy and Kingsburys pants are smoking this year because both are on the hot seat. The Bears have tried everything and can’t get over the hump and the Cardinals spent a butt load of money. Funny thing about Kingsbury he hasn’t won any where he’s been. 35-40 in college and 5-7 with Mahomes. Not every young coach can be a Sean McVay.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

On a completely separate note Zack Wilson looks great.

Wilson did look good.

the Justin Fields thing I'm talking about is a little more insidious than just a rookie starting slow on a Team that isn't very good. there seems to be a campaign to make him look bad that started when he was ranked 2-3 after the bowl games on the pre-draft charts. I was just searching for a game today and viewed some ESPN highlights. they're showing games which seem to focus on TD's, throwing and receiving. so what do they have sandwiched amongst those: "Fields loses helmet after taking big hit." oh, yeah, the defender was flagged when he hit him above the shoulders blindside. you sure don't want to miss that chance in the pre-season.

bush league.