Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's an old-time collector to do?

I have been a card collector most of my life. Backed off some years ago but am the current owner of quite a bit of older sports cards. The best of the bunch fall in the baseball camp, especially 1968 thru 1974. Also own some great old hockey and football from 50's and 60's. Also own some high end baseball from earlier dates.

Almost all of the cards are raw, ungraded - especially the high end stuff. Now that the market seems to have recovered it may be time to let some go but getting any cards graded at this point doesn't appear to be an option. Selling them ungraded will leave lots of money on the table and selling at places like eBay don't appear to realize the real value. I am a heritage member and am considering contacting them for some insight.

Small amount of 50's baseball(even a few older) Good amount of commons from early 60's most cherry picked in at least NM. 1968 thru 1971 with most HOF's (I'd say 68's in slightly lesser grades EX. A number of early 60's, stars Mays, F Robinson,

In a normal world, I'd pack up a bunch and send them to PSA for grading and sell them off. Between outrageous grading prices, inability to get many graded, wild differences in sale prices across auction venues and crazy price differences for a single grade variation I find myself in a strange place. I'm curious what those here would do if you were in my shoes...

Here's a very small sample to get some idea:

Comments

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

^^^ What he said.

Nice looking cards!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice cards.

If you need to sell now and those are representative of how nice the cards are you have several options:

1) get them graded by SGC - will probably make them easier to sell than raw - but will not return the same prices as PSA would. Then sell them yourself on message boards, Facebook and EBay. Or consign them with someone.
    2) Consign with Greg Morris - has a nice following in selling raw cards
    3) List them yourself on the various message boards and Facebook groups raw - with good photos I think these would sell there - but you will need to price below comps of what you think they would grade
    4) List them yourself on EBay raw
    5) Sell in bulk to a large dealer
    6) Wait it out and get graded with PSA if their prices ever come down

Those cards really are nice. Believe it or not there are still some collectors that prefer and only collect raw cards (my brother is one) and will pay nice prices for quality.

I really never sell anything so others may have better advice. I personally would get the biggest names and/or strongest cards graded by SGC or consign with Greg Morris. Others with more experience selling will probably have some advice for you too.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the photos, colors and gloss on the mid-high 1960 Topps series.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Very nice cards.

If you need to sell now and those are representative of how nice the cards are you have several options:

1) get them graded by SGC - will probably make them easier to sell than raw - but will not return the same prices as PSA would. Then sell them yourself on message boards, Facebook and EBay. Or consign them with someone.
    2) Consign with Greg Morris - has a nice following in selling raw cards
    3) List them yourself on the various message boards and Facebook groups raw - with good photos I think these would sell there - but you will need to price below comps of what you think they would grade
    4) List them yourself on EBay raw
    5) Sell in bulk to a large dealer
    6) Wait it out and get graded with PSA if their prices ever come down

Those cards really are nice. Believe it or not there are still some collectors that prefer and only collect raw cards (my brother is one) and will pay nice prices for quality.

I really never sell anything so others may have better advice. I personally would get the biggest names and/or strongest cards graded by SGC or consign with Greg Morris. Others with more experience selling will probably have some advice for you too.

greg morris consigns ?

greg morris consigns ?

He does. I have only been a customer of his (buying cards from him) and not sent card to him. My understanding is he is very strict in what he will take - you send him cards and he selects what he is interested in selling and sends the rest back. Others who have used him will know for sure.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are all in non-recessed screw downs grading may be a moot point as there is a good chance they will come back as altered stock unless you screwed them down very gently.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    If they are all in non-recessed screw downs grading may be a moot point as there is a good chance they will come back as altered stock unless you screwed them down very gently.

I think you can tell by the pics that these are not recessed holders due to some of the cards being slightly off-center. Since you already have a relationship with Heritage, I would contact them first and send them these exact pics. They should have thoughts and ideas on grading, selling, and screw down holders.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

if they are flattened they are altered, just add a little of water and they will unflatten

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@PaulMaul said:

I think you can tell by the pics that these are not recessed holders due to some of the cards being slightly off-center. Since you already have a relationship with Heritage, I would contact them first and send them these exact pics. They should have thoughts and ideas on grading, selling, and screw down holders.

Thanks, may be the way to go. Pulled several and compared with a loupe - see absolutely no difference from those in semi-rigid holders

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

@dontippet said:

@PaulMaul said:

Thanks, may be the way to go. Pulled several and compared with a loupe - see absolutely no difference from those in semi-rigid holders

Did you check to see if they appear slightly larger than non screwed down cards of the same issue? Sometimes the slight flattening can cause “spread.”

@PaulMaul said:

@mark_dak said:

@dontippet said:

@PaulMaul said:

Did you check to see if they appear slightly larger than non screwed down cards of the same issue? Sometimes the slight flattening can cause “spread.”

No, no spread what so ever but I did heed all the warnings and pulled them just in case. Actually some I had did have inserts and some did not. Trashed them all - too big anyway, thanks for the warning.

Surfaces are immaculate and shine like new on almost every one I have. Crazy since these were all purchased new as a 10ish year old. Funny, mine don't even have any gum stains since I picked up a lot of them out of the nickel machine at the Ben Franklin while mom got her hair done.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

The main cards I'd look to grade are the 1969 & 1970 Ryan and the 1969 Mantle. The 1970 Ryan has the best chance of getting a real nice grade.

@ArtVandelay said:
    The main cards I'd look to grade are the 1969 & 1970 Ryan and the 1969 Mantle. The 1970 Ryan has the best chance of getting a real nice grade.

Yeah, the 70 Ryan is amazing! Surface is beautiful, corners are sharp, centering looks pretty good to me. I'm a coin guy so I'm not well versed in card grading. That is what got me to dig out the old cards...

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1970-topps-nolan-ryan-712-psa-gem-mint-10/a/50045-80015.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Trying to critical, maybe the reverse could have bolder color - maybe a little age there. Otherwise the Heritage piece may as well be mine.

HaHa! BTW, love the moniker name - Big Seinfeld fan here.

Mark

• " GET DEM DA HE11 OUTTA DOZE HOLDERS PRIVATE! YOU TRYIN TO BE SOME SORTA HERO SOLDIER? HE11 OUTTA DARE NOW ! THAT'S A DIRECT ORDER! "....... Yes .. nice cards! 👍

@Historicalwood71 said:
    " GET DEM DA HE11 OUTTA DOZE HOLDERS PRIVATE! YOU TRYIN TO BE SOME SORTA HERO SOLDIER? HE11 OUTTA DARE NOW ! THAT'S A DIRECT ORDER! "....... Yes .. nice cards! 👍

Already out, there's a bunch more where those came from.

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 5:24PM

@mark_dak said:

@Historicalwood71 said:
    " GET DEM DA HE11 OUTTA DOZE HOLDERS PRIVATE! YOU TRYIN TO BE SOME SORTA HERO SOLDIER? HE11 OUTTA DARE NOW ! THAT'S A DIRECT ORDER! "....... Yes .. nice cards! 👍

Already out, there's a bunch more where those came from.

Lol cool!!!! 👍 Just kidding man. Trying to help!!! 👍 At ease private

• Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I'd sell them here or on Net54.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 6:38PM

@mark_dak said:

@ArtVandelay said:

Yeah, the 70 Ryan is amazing! Surface is beautiful, corners are sharp, centering looks pretty good to me. I'm a coin guy so I'm not well versed in card grading. That is what got me to dig out the old cards...

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1970-topps-nolan-ryan-712-psa-gem-mint-10/a/50045-80015.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Trying to critical, maybe the reverse could have bolder color - maybe a little age there. Otherwise the Heritage piece may as well be mine.

Mark

Do not assume a 10 or a 9 no matter how good your untrained eye thinks the card is.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Ahmanfan said:

@mark_dak said:

@ArtVandelay said:

Mark

Do not assume a 10 or a 9 no matter how good your untrained eye thinks the card is.

Oh, trust me I'm not assuming a thing! That's the reason I'm hesitant to submit much right now. I've had plenty of experience with the coin side of things so I'm well aware.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I have been collecting since 1978. I would be able to afford a few older cards in my teens, but not many. I really started buying older stuff in the early 90s when I got back into it after a short break AND I had much more disposable income.

It really makes me wonder how much stuff was altered, say BEFORE the 90s and when grading started and began to take off.
    i am talking 60s, 70s and even before that. You ask anyone now, especially outside of these collectible sites/boards (and even many on the boards), and everything ungraded is initially and automatically suspect of being altered or counterfeited! Clearly there are still plenty of raw cards sitting in collections just waiting to see the light of day again.

I own a few cards I know were altered, such as the old colored/touched up corners of a 1971 Topps or a slight trim job, but nothing done carefully and professionally to deceive in a graded scenario. I have no idea how I came to own them, I suspect it was either through trades or lots when I was not keeping my eye open for them. I'm sure some of it was just kids trying to make some of their cards LOOK better, but I also don't doubt as long as people have been paying for a product, like cards fraud has followed suit.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    I have been collecting since 1978. I would be able to afford a few older cards in my teens, but not many. I really started buying older stuff in the early 90s when I got back into it after a short break AND I had much more disposable income.

It really makes me wonder how much stuff was altered, say BEFORE the 90s and when grading started and began to take off.
    i am talking 60s, 70s and even before that. You ask anyone now, especially outside of these collectible sites/boards (and even many on the boards), and everything ungraded is initially and automatically suspect of being altered or counterfeited! Clearly there are still plenty of raw cards sitting in collections just waiting to see the light of day again.

I own a few cards I know were altered, such as the old colored/touched up corners of a 1971 Topps or a slight trim job, but nothing done carefully and professionally to deceive in a graded scenario. I have no idea how I came to own them, I suspect it was either through trades or lots when I was not keeping my eye open for them. I'm sure some of it was just kids trying to make some of their cards LOOK better, but I also don't doubt as long as people have been paying for a product, like cards fraud has followed suit.

I'm sure there is plenty of altered material out there but I know where 90% of everything I own came from. I bought almost all mine as new... The Bowman, F Robinson and Mays in my pictures were purchased or traded for well over 20 years ago but the rest (As is for the hundreds of others I own) came out of packs I tore open in the 60's or 70's and personally chewed the gum for 15 seconds until it softened up and the flavor disappeared or I slid a nickel into the machine and pulled out the cards.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Why are people saying "Heritage" ?? A huge auction house will not feature those. They're not big enough cards. Unless I'm missing something. Be patient and wait to grade a few with PSA. Although, I think you will have to wait about 2 years seriously. Sell them on the boards after that.

@Mickey71 said:
    Why are people saying "Heritage" ?? A huge auction house will not feature those. They're not big enough cards. Unless I'm missing something. Be patient and wait to grade a few with PSA. Although, I think you will have to wait about 2 years seriously. Sell them on the boards after that.

Maybe you haven't visited Heritage lately. Not sure, staring at 3 '69 Mantles, 4 '69 Seavers, couple '69 Aarons, 4 '70 Aarons, '69 Jackson, Mays, Ryan, 68 Mantle, 3 '71 Jackson, Rose... Many Yaz, Kaline, Carew and nearly every other star/semi-star between the years of '68 to '72 or '73 then moving up a few yeas we get into Schmidt along with those others. Further up to Boggs, Gwinn, etc... and a smattering of cards prior to '68 all the way back to late 50's including Musial, Yaz, Frank and Brooks Robinson... you get the idea.

All raw so you see the point of my original comment. Can't drop $250 on each of these at PSA - many wouldn't be worth it. Is it worth looking at another TPG? Can't possibly send in all those especially if some come up as 7's or so. Selling raw has drawbacks as well.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

I'm the only one that recommended Heritage and that was based solely on the OP's past relationship with Heritage.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 10:01PM

My answer to the OP is to wait. Right now is the worst possible time to grade anything.

If you had cards worth $5,000.00 or more it wouldn't be so bad, but as nice as yours are, I wouldn't grade them right now.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@mark_dak said:

@Mickey71 said:

Maybe you haven't visited Heritage lately. Not sure, staring at 3 '69 Mantles, 4 '69 Seavers, couple '69 Aarons, 4 '70 Aarons, '69 Jackson, Mays, Ryan, 68 Mantle, 3 '71 Jackson, Rose... Many Yaz, Kaline, Carew and nearly every other star/semi-star between the years of '68 to '72 or '73 then moving up a few yeas we get into Schmidt along with those others. Further up to Boggs, Gwinn, etc... and a smattering of cards prior to '68 all the way back to late 50's including Musial, Yaz, Frank and Brooks Robinson... you get the idea.

All raw so you see the point of my original comment. Can't drop $250 on each of these at PSA - many wouldn't be worth it. Is it worth looking at another TPG? Can't possibly send in all those especially if some come up as 7's or so. Selling raw has drawbacks as well.

Didn't know Heritage is selling a bunch of late 60's and 70's cards as singles that are RAW. I think you should be patient and wait to grade those. They appear to be in nice shape.

@dontippet said:

@Mickey71 said:

I'm the only one that recommended Heritage and that was based solely on the OP's past relationship with Heritage.

Yes. I just haven't checked these major auction houses lately. I would have never thought they are listing RAW near mint 1960's and 1970's as singles. Although a couple of his cards appear to be really nice.

@Mickey71 said:

@mark_dak said:

@Mickey71 said:

Didn't know Heritage is selling a bunch of late 60's and 70's cards as singles that are RAW. I think you should be patient and wait to grade those. They appear to be in nice shape.

No doubt, I'm sure anything at Heritage would have to be graded.

@JoeBanzai said:
    My answer to the OP is to wait. Right now is the worst possible time to grade anything.

If you had cards worth $5,000.00 or more it wouldn't be so bad, but as nice as yours are, I wouldn't grade them right now.

Looking like you are on target. Even if things get somewhat back to normal I assume there will be a huge backlog of items that haven't even been sent in yet.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2021 11:15PM

Unfortunately if you want to maximize their value you have to send them into PSA sooner or later. Id lean on getting them in the queue now since there is no real sooner and only a later. As you said you're in no hurry to sell today and even if they are tied up in Newport Beach for 18 months it's no real issue in your circumstance. I'd bite the PSA bullet

Good luck!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Unfortunately if you want to maximize their value you have to send them into PSA sooner or later. Id lean on getting them in the queue now since there is no real sooner and only a later. As you said you're in no hurry to sell today and even if they are tied up in Newport Beach for 18 months it's no real issue in your circumstance. I'd bite the PSA bullet

Good luck!

m

Don't you think everything he showed has to be submitted at cheaper prices? $50 or less ? Prices are too expensive to grade right now. I would not want to spend $50 on those and some appear quite nice.

You have a beautiful collection fro> @Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

Don't you think everything he showed has to be submitted at cheaper prices? $50 or less ? Prices are too expensive to grade right now. I would not want to spend $50 on those and some appear quite nice.

I totally agree. Could never grade the Robinson or Marichal at these prices. Maybe the Mays and the Ryans but if they get a 6 or a 7 which is quite possible even those are not worth the price right now.

@lawyer05 said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

PSAWILL HAVE AN $8 DOLLAR SPECIAL FOR COMMONS , COMING SOON !!

Yes very soon. LOL.

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

I have been away from the hobby for some time. I am assuming that today's PSA fees are their way of saying keep your cards until we are caught up. I would hope a more reasonable fee structure will happen at some point???

Maybe I'll wait for the $8 special!

• 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

I have been away from the hobby for some time. I am assuming that today's PSA fees are their way of saying keep your cards until we are caught up. I would hope a more reasonable fee structure will happen at some point???

High grading fees are really hard on set collectors. Not feasible to grade commons or non superstar/high value cards. Dealers and Flippers are only interested in profit, simply evaluate card value plus grading fee, if net value is higher then grade it. Collectors, especially set collectors, will have a hard time spending $20 or more to grade a card with a value of $5 (unless money is not a factor).

If PSA has enough business at $50 a card to make a profit, will may never see a "special" for the common collector again.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

@262Runner said:

@mark_dak said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

High grading fees are really hard on set collectors. Not feasible to grade commons or non superstar/high value cards. Dealers and Flippers are only interested in profit, simply evaluate card value plus grading fee, if net value is higher then grade it. Collectors, especially set collectors, will have a hard time spending $20 or more to grade a card with a value of $5 (unless money is not a factor).

If PSA has enough business at $50 a card to make a profit, will may never see a "special" for the common collector again.

Right, why would they? Assumed that was a tongue in cheek comment by lawyer05, I too would never expect that to return so all the common stuff is off the table for me. Kind of thinking shipping off to a Greg Morris to handle and send in some of the premium stuff myself. That's my thinking after getting some opinions both here and local dealers. My bad for not taking advantage for years of cheaper grading prices. . Somehow I'm going to let go of a lot of what I have (Probably mostly in raw condition) and maybe find a specific area to stick to. My "collection" is far too eclectic to maintain.

Mark

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Good luck!

m

I'd send in the 70 Ryan and a couple others to start. But that might just be me. He didn't show us all he had.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Can you show us more?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Here's an example of pictures I snapped for someone of 63 Fleer set. All raw except the 2 not pictured. Not where I can snap some more at the moment, only ones on my phone at this time. All fresh green backs.

Beautiful set and love that you were picky on the backs - PSA does not take off for cookie stained backs - but I try to avoid them. Great cards and great collection of what you have shown so far.

Some star cards '68 and '69... All raw.

@brad31 said:
    Beautiful set and love that you were picky on the backs - PSA does not take off for cookie stained backs - but I try to avoid them. Great cards and great collection of what you have shown so far.

Thanks, yeah... stains and a large amount have a tacky yellow/green color to the backs. Stayed away from all those as well. Couple have centering issues, otherwise pretty solid set.

Nice cards. Be patient and wait for grading prices to go down. You should do well.