Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Ancient Coins

I just started collecting Ancient coins (Rome & Greece) this year and so far this is what I’ve got.

What do you think? Is it a good start?

I know some people don’t like putting ancients in slabs but I do. ^_^

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like a very nice group of ancients. I like them!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    They look like a very nice group of ancients. I like them!

Thanks!! ^_^

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a theme to your collection?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces so far!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins.

@harasha said:

Yes, please tell us.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@harasha said:

I do but it’s not so much a “strict” theme as it is a “general” theme.

I majored in Classical History (Greece and Rome) and I’m trying to collect as many different coins as I can from the beginning of coinage in 6th century BC Lydia all the way to the Fall of the Roman Empire in 476 AD.

Yeah it’s a pretty huge spectrum and time period but I like that I always have something to look for.

But I’m not delusional. I know I’ll never get anywhere close to completion. I just want to see what I can accomplish.

On a side note my primary focus is the Roman Republic & early Empire.

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:
    Nice coins.

@harasha said:

Yes, please tell us.

Yup! I have a very general theme rather than a specific and narrow theme.

I majored in Classical History (Greece & Rome) and my goal is to get as many different examples as I can from the coins of Croesus (I don’t have any yet since they cost a fortune) all the way to the end of the Roman Empire.

So basically 6th century BC - 5th century AD Rome & Greece.

If I had to choose though my favorite is definitely Rome. I’ve always loved learning about Ancient Rome & I love that I can actually own coins that were actually in circulation during the time periods I’ve read about and imagined.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean hundreds of thousands of coin types?

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Nice collection. I love ancients because the designs changed when you get a new ruler!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice start. Love your taste.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2021 3:18AM

@1984worldcoins said:

You mean hundreds of thousands of coin types?

Yup! Exactly!

However I should also note for Roman coins my focus is on the denarius. I don’t collect other denominations like the sestertius, dupondius and as. Just the denarius.

I’ll never get them all but it’s fun to try to get the ones I like ^_^

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

That's quite a nice start, congrats !

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group!

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 1:50PM

Very nice coins. An amazing start. That Owl alone doesn't come cheap.

Obviously, you'll have to broaden your focus from denarii if you want to get past Diocletian. (Or even as far as Diocletian). Although that might be billon and bronze for a while, until you get to the siliquae.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2021 2:04PM

@JohnConduitt said:
    Very nice coins. An amazing start. That Owl alone doesn't come cheap.

Obviously, you'll have to broaden your focus from denarii if you want to get past Diocletian. (Or even as far as Diocletian). Although that might be billon and bronze for a while, until you get to the siliquae.

Oh I only collect denarii when it comes to Romans. Except for the Republic stuff like the Quadrigatus since there was no denarius at that time. Hopefully one day I can afford an aureus but I don’t plan on collecting them per se as they are just too expensive for my wallet.

I don’t really collect the copper, brass and orichalcum coinage. It would just be too much different stuff to even attempt.

Unfortunately Caligula is one denarius I will probably never own but fortunately most are reasonably priced.

My goal is to get 1 denarius of every Emperor.

I’m also trying to keep my goal reasonable by skipping out on wives, children and stuff like that.

So like a Faustina Sr. Or Faustina Jr. denarius is something I would skip.

Next up I’m going for a Victoriatus from the Republic. Worth half a Quadrigatus.

• Options

@coinandcurrency242 said:
    Nice collection. I love ancients because the designs changed when you get a new ruler!

Agreed! Me too!

I think it would be cool to have a bunch of different Emperors on display and being able to look from one to another and then to the next seeing history unfold before one’s eyes.

Another cool thing is that because of debasement the further you go down the line of Emperors the smaller the coins get and the browner they get due to increased copper content and decreased silver content.