Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gene L Henry and his Hoard - Another great YN success!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2021 2:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know Gene and his Hoard?

I just got a gilt HK-356 Alaska Yukon So-Called Dollar from his hoard. It's in a flip with a nice insert with his photo on it.

His website is titled: "Gene L. Henry: The Man And His Silver Dollar Hoard"

How great are his silver dollars and how many So-Called Dollars does he have?

Here's a great excerpt from his bio:

Gene L. Henry wrote:
By the age of 15 he was running ads in the “Numismatic Scrapbook” magazine which at the time was the most prestigious of the coin publications.

When the publisher discovered that he wasn’t 21, his advertising privileges were suspended until his mother sent a notarized letter stating that she would legally stand behind her son’s dealings. No one ever had any reason to complain to her about his coin business.

https://genelhenry.wordpress.com/

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a raw trade dollar from his shop in downtown Seattle before I knew any better. Oops.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked with Gene for several years downtown Seattle. His inventory was massive. I watched him crack out coins by slamming them on the floor, expensive ones too. He could be difficult to sell to, $1000+ coins deals go south over 10 bucks then he would take me to Pikes Market and buy me a nice lunch in one of the restaurants. He always paid. He lived in round high rise apartment building I went there several times. He was a great guy to know. He bought my 1889-CC PCGS MS62. It was a $7000.00 coin back then. Nice trip down memory lane.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I bought a 46 small date HE from a dealer in the Seattle area. After I had bought it he said by the way that one was in Gene Henry’s personal collection if you are interested. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe I can get a quick photo next time I visit the SDB. Another scarce Pre Civil War Philadelphia gold coin.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a followup to TDN, not everything he had was awesome. :wink:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

But one has the TDN provenance now ;)

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

Very true (no wink)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I bought a raw trade dollar from his shop in downtown Seattle before I knew any better. Oops.

"Oops" why?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Field smoothed. Body bag

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Field smoothed. Body bag

The HK-365 gilt AYPE So-Called Dollar isn’t very common, but my Gene Henry piece is raw. I hope it grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file